Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't get the hate that goes on in this thread.

Longmire is a fantastic coach and leader. The players clearly love him.

He doesn't get everything right, like any coach. The greatest AFL coach of all time, and maybe in any sport, Craig McRae, basically cost Collingwood the prelim last year by starting Maynard on Franklin.

I just don't get the hate that goes on in this thread.

Longmire is a fantastic coach and leader. The players clearly love him.

He doesn't get everything right, like any coach. The greatest AFL coach of all time, and maybe in any sport, Craig McRae, basically cost Collingwood the prelim last year by starting Maynard on Franklin.
Why do people say hate , i don't think anyone can hate Horse , i love him but sooner or later they get burnt out .
If he's staying it would be good to freshen up the assistants , good coaches do that .

I like the idea of a refresh of the Assistants.

Should Jarrad McPointy want a crack at a senior coaching job he needs a stint at another Club.

I expect West Coast will ask Cox to consider a return either to replace Simmo or as Senior Asst on a promise. Hope he waves two fingers at them.

I really doubt Pyke wants to be a senior coach. He and Horse are yin and yang. One seems primarily cerebral, the other primarily relational.

A couple of times this year there has been vision of players and coaches at half time. In one game- forget which - Pyke is at the whiteboard with the tactical instructions and has just finished his spiel. Horse steps in and either Horsesplains Dons message or adds his own.

I have no idea what Mathews is like as a person or a coach. My first memory of him was when he refused to hand over the number 4 when Plugger made his ill fated return.

I like the idea of a refresh of the Assistants.

Should Jarrad McPointy want a crack at a senior coaching job he needs a stint at another Club.

I expect West Coast will ask Cox to consider a return either to replace Simmo or as Senior Asst on a promise. Hope he waves two fingers at them.

I really doubt Pyke wants to be a senior coach. He and Horse are yin and yang. One seems primarily cerebral, the other primarily relational.

A couple of times this year there has been vision of players and coaches at half time. In one game- forget which - Pyke is at the whiteboard with the tactical instructions and has just finished his spiel. Horse steps in and either Horsesplains Dons message or adds his own.

I have no idea what Mathews is like as a person or a coach. My first memory of him was when he refused to hand over the number 4 when Plugger made his ill fated return.
Bens a good bloke , yes McPoint can go elsewhere and bring in a fresh face , at least Ben went to another culture

Bens a good bloke , yes McPoint can go elsewhere and bring in a fresh face , at least Ben went to another culture

You probably what Papley to Captain Coach

Can comeback to Bunyip and handle that , might even go down out watch the old team today

country footy needs support

by the way, how are OAFC going this year. Close to 60years ago I watched a couple of OAFC games. In those days a lot of terrific players went through there. One iirc was the multi talented Graeme Watson.

country footy needs support

by the way, how are OAFC going this year. Close to 60years ago I watched a couple of OAFC games. In those days a lot of terrific players went through there. One iirc was the multi talented Graeme Watson.
Not good 2nd bottom with 30 players o/s , Max Gawn was one of ours , Jack Frost , Joel Amartey , Jack Higgins and Sam Frost atm
Bunyip struggling a bit as well , looking for a coach

Not good 2nd bottom with 30 players o/s , Max Gawn was one of ours , Jack Frost , Joel Amartey , Jack Higgins and Sam Frost atm
Bunyip struggling a bit as well , looking for a coach

i'll come coach if you want

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most understand what hate means in this context. It means constantly being overly critical.
I agree about the people who are overly critical, beyond being able to acknowledge anything positive Horse does. There are just as many who are overly positive, beyond being able to acknowledge anything flawed Horse does.

Some people will say Horse "is not perfect, he makes mistakes" but will then refuse to concede on a single mistake that someone will argue he's made. As is their right of course. But to me it suggests that the partialty towards a particular view of Horse goes both ways.

I'd like a new coach sooner rather than later but Longmire is one of the most genuine guys I have seen in footy. Humble, protective of his team and their brand, backs the boys, cares about his players. He speaks well on footy

he just cares and it's not about him

no one could really hate the guy or even dislike him as a man

I'd like a new coach sooner rather than later but Longmire is one of the most genuine guys I have seen in footy. Humble, protective of his team and their brand, backs the boys, cares about his players. He speaks well on footy

he just cares and it's not about him

no one could really hate the guy or even dislike him as a man
This is it

I agree about the people who are overly critical, beyond being able to acknowledge anything positive Horse does. There are just as many who are overly positive, beyond being able to acknowledge anything flawed Horse does.

Some people will say Horse "is not perfect, he makes mistakes" but will then refuse to concede on a single mistake that someone will argue he's made. As is their right of course. But to me it suggests that the partialty towards a particular view of Horse goes both ways.

I acknowledge he makes mistakes. Francis as sub in wet weather was an example. They said they were concerned about the health of a couple of taller players, but still seemed an odd decision.

Mills on Hawkins took one problem, our issues down back, and turned it into two - a bigger issue in the midfield as well.

At times he seems too stubborn with the game plan and doesn't respond quick enough.

I hated how they played Aliir out of position.

But I look at the big picture of the performance of the club while Longmire has been coach and it has been excellent.

We make the finals nearly every season. We went up the top, came back down, and then went back up again. Something even coaching gods Hardwick and Clarkson haven't been able to achieve. It would have been good to have performed better in two of the four grand finals. But they are bloody hard to get to, let alone win.

It is not just the performance on field, but also his leadership of the club. Which has been basically flawless since he took over as senior coach.

But you come into this thread after we lose a game, and you would think we have a complete idiot as a coach.

I wouldn't have wanted anyone else coaching our club since Roos left and don't want anyone else now. There will be a time when we need to transition, but it isn't now.

I acknowledge he makes mistakes. Francis as sub in wet weather was an example. They said they were concerned about the health of a couple of taller players, but still seemed an odd decision.

Mills on Hawkins took one problem, our issues down back, and turned it into two - a bigger issue in the midfield as well.

At times he seems too stubborn with the game plan and doesn't respond quick enough.

I hated how they played Aliir out of position.

But I look at the big picture of the performance of the club while Longmire has been coach and it has been excellent.

We make the finals nearly every season. We went up the top, came back down, and then went back up again. Something even coaching gods Hardwick and Clarkson haven't been able to achieve. It would have been good to have performed better in two of the four grand finals. But they are bloody hard to get to, let alone win.

It is not just the performance on field, but also his leadership of the club. Which has been basically flawless since he took over as senior coach.

But you come into this thread after we lose a game, and you would think we have a complete idiot as a coach.

I wouldn't have wanted anyone else coaching our club since Roos left and don't want anyone else now. There will be a time when we need to transition, but it isn't now.
Agree with all that completely. I wasn't referring to you btw, just many others on this board and elsewhere.

Good bloke doesn’t necessarily equal good coach

I don’t think anyone has ever questioned his character

He is a poor game day coach, repeats the same mistakes over and over again (e.g selecting injured players in a grand final), gets a negative set on certain players and misutilises their talents (eg Allir), and for the most part has generally under achieved with the talent he’s had at his disposal

Good bloke doesn’t necessarily equal good coach

I don’t think anyone has ever questioned his character

He is a poor game day coach, repeats the same mistakes over and over again (e.g selecting injured players in a grand final), gets a negative set on certain players and misutilises their talents (eg Allir), and for the most part has generally under achieved with the talent he’s had at his disposal
You can't surely be arguing Horse isn't a good coach.

Fair enough if you don't think he's legendary or you'd rather someone else or think he's overrated or whatever, but good coach? That is the bare minimum Swans fans should be able to agree on.

You don't make four grand finals and countless other top four finishes if you're not a good coach.

You can't surely be arguing Horse isn't a good coach.

Fair enough if you don't think he's legendary or you'd rather someone else or think he's overrated or whatever, but good coach? That is the bare minimum Swans fans should be able to agree on.

You don't make four grand finals and countless other top four finishes if you're not a good coach.

He obviously has some positive qualities but I don’t think he’s a great coach, if I was to pick one of your terms, overrated would be it

I think he’s overstayed his tenure

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back