Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

The return of the Saints special.
Lead at the first three changes then don't give a yelp in the last quarter.

One of our better ones in recent times. Nothing could top the 2009 GF though. Lead at the first three changes, lead with 5 mins to go, then get done.

As I said a Saints specialty.

No and no
Crouch is prob top 4 BNF
Steele is not elite and has been no where near is this year

Lol
5 disposals in a second half with zero touches in the last quarter
16 centre bounce attendances with one clearance

It's not on him?
The team leader?
If Steele isn't elite then why are you upset at his performance? You got what you expected didn't you?

Definitely lack on field leadership when things start to go against us.

Hopefully Owens is the man going forward but you need more than one on field leader.

Geary was a trench guy, he says drop you drop cause you know he's going with you. Steele, Steele probably on the outside having a cry about his knees getting dirty.

I was on Battle since man is joyful and on field gives no shits, plugs gaps and otherwise is an offensive defender, Sincs/Wilki as co and deputy for Owens and Pou to nurture under. That's my leadership grouping.

Funny how we've circled back to the 'when the first tier isn't performing' scenario, isn't it?

Guess who went missing today despite the others doing their part?

It’s the hope that kills you. Second half hard to comprehend after a terrific first half.

All the faults in terms of drafting and recruitment laid bare. I try to leave that behind, but after we lose can’t help but think what could have been.

Not my whole point at all. But why did we get rid of Acres again? And what did we get in return? Not a jet, but handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played really well in the first half. Second and third quarters we just left too many goals out there. Our inability to make the most of simple scoring opportunities running towards 50 with a numerical advantage cost us. People guilty of it off the top of my head were Butler with some absolute shockers and Gresh just not playing within his limitations AGAIN.

Last quarter we were just destroyed.

Very unfortunate but it's where we are at. I loved Owens in the guts first half. The forward line is a work in progress, Hammer probably into the reserves next week. We need to find mids, just killed in there again. No idea what happened with Steeley, those numbers are appalling.

I'm finally done with Gresham. Turns it over again and again. He's a momentum killer. Trade him out. It's never going to change. Wood has runs on the board, so I forgive his turnovers today.
Watching Acres play well at another club still makes me sick.
When some of our leaders really need to stand up, they go missing. We need to build a leadership culture. Something that the talented young group can aspire to. Disappointed today but not devastated. A lot of work still to go, but feel like we are at least building something bigger.

Not only does Gresham turn the ball over, he still can't kick a set shot for goal to save himself, missed another couple today when we needed goals.

He is only good when he snaps goals but he doesn't do that as much as he used to either so the good doesn't outweigh the bad, he is a liability now.

Time to move him on, if we can get a second round draft pick for him I would take it.

The return of the Saints special.
Lead at the first three changes then don't give a yelp in the last quarter.

One of our better ones in recent times. Nothing could top the 2009 GF though. Lead at the first three changes, lead with 5 mins to go, then get done.

As I said a Saints specialty.

Yeah it was a lot like the 2009 GF,, we were all over Geelong in the first half, butchered shots at goal and then struggled to score a goal in the 2nd half.

Painful to watch as the opposition team overruns us while we run out of gas and goals.

Please guys, just admit it, we ain't good enough. Manic pressure kept is ahead in the first half, but then the mids went AWOL in the second.
The player not good enough for us TDK, absolutely panted Marshall, our mids were beaten by their reserves.
We are miles off it and we won't get anyone decent this draft because GC and North are getting a leg up.
Face it, the AFL couldn't care less about the Saints.
Can't see us competitive for many seasons as the AFL let other clubs get quality players.
Might as well cut 15 this year and next year and then be spooners for two or three then we will get a leg up, or maybe relocate to Tassie otherwise we are doomed for another decade of nothing.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not the mids who lost clearances by 20

You can lose clearance and win it back. We just screwed up the rebound as well. Second half they tightened up and we lost all of our dare.

Rowan Marshall fantastic again, had some massive moments. 4 contested marks, 3rd most contested possessions and a goal. Should make the AA squad as a ruckman which is pretty good for a ruck-froward.

Out of everyone you pick on butler he’s one of the giving his all week in and out

While we were still in it, he had two open players and hit up a Blues player on the chest. Harder to **** it up than score from it.

I thought that was an ok performance, if we'd been able to halve clearance then we would have won it imo.

If we could have halved the game we would have won. ;)

Second half was putrid.

Did not win ball.

Did not run and create numbers at the contest.

If we did win it, stop and propped. Then picked out an opponent to roost it at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back