Autopsy Round 23, 2023: St.Kilda v Geelong *HIGGINS 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are exploring the realm's of mathematical possibilities, don't write off the option that if Melbourne get thrashed in the last two games and GWS beat Carlton, we'll finish 4th.

1692483531251.png

Anyway - very good win last night. Wood and Hill were superb on the wings. Can't wait to see them both on the MCG in finals.

If we lose by 10 goals, we don’t deserve to play finals.. Ladder doesn’t lie..

I think the only time they've smashed us was in 2019. Otherwise it's always been reasonable close even with them being much higher rated than us in that time. Usually under 5 goal either way and we usually do better up there than at home.

Win the midfield and we can beat any team - to me everything works when they win the midfield

Geelong have an ordinary midfield. Seb Ross will be a big loss against Brisbane.

Still underated by most of the footy world. Also his disposals is better then anyone else in the league imo.

That was probably his best ever match. Absolutely elite quality ball use, positioning and contribution. If he plays like that every week we are going to push any side. That was as good as anything you get from the absolute superstars of the comp. To do it in a big match against last year's premier was fantastic timing.

Unfortunately it's pretty likely that GWS make up the % if we lose and they win.

It's about 50 points total games, and that is highly probable. Also, the last round is likely to produce some floggings. % is irrelevant for Blues. So if they are losing, every chance they roll over in the 4th and just rest players.

A 50 point margin across 2 games is nothing.
It’s not impossible but I don’t see Carlton going down by much, pretty unlikely to lose at home. Similarly in the form we are in I don’t see Brisbane giving us a bath. Fair chance percentage is going to be important.

Having said that who would have picked GWS to win by 100 plus.

What stood out to me most last night was how well the game plan was executed.

Ross had his doubters all year and still probably does, I probably have recency bias, but this season was as good as I’ve seen for over a decade in terms of game style.

Our team defence is almost as beautiful as scoring a goal, the way Geelong were forced into slow play was a thing of beauty.

I really hope people notice how well the plan was executed, rather than feed off the Geelong were poor narrative. We made them poor.

How good has Mason Wood been for the club?

An amazing recruit, not only for his onfield performances (one of the better wingmen in the comp), but also for the example he sets at the club.

Another 23 disposals and 11 marks tonight, and some clutch efforts when we needed them.
I think the AFL should introduce a “Comeback player of the Year” award , like the NFL have. (Last year won by Geno Smith of the Seattle Seahawks). Mason Wood would shit it in. From being delisted to being one of the most crucial guys in our team. He will get a few votes in the Brownlow too.

Obviously happy with the good win against those xyzs.
Kinda p1ssed off with other results.
However, given our long term mental flakiness, I'm really glad that the team still has to play for their/our own destiny. Who knows what might eventuate, but I want the team to give absolutely everything next week rather than possibly resting on somewhat undeserved laurels.
If we do get to play after next week I want us to have a *ing red hot crack at it. We don't get opportunities like this nearly often enough. None of us want to see that wasted.

That was a huge cultural shift from how we've performed over the last 10 years. We have definitely become a lot more mentally resilient under Lyon. Under Ratts and Richo we seemed to unravel in our own heads. We still looked like we were uncertain in front of goal but had the steeliness to keep going.

People are being far too pessimistic. We just had our best win in a decade, it sucks that those two freak results happened but we can’t control that. Play like we have the past 2 weeks and are a shout to beat Brisbane let alone get flogged enough to make a close Giants win a problem. Sydney are playing a top 4 team. There’s something weird going on at the Dogs, I’m pretty convinced they are all over Bevo and there is every chance they shit the bed against Geelong and Bevo gets the arse. Carlton are the form and possibly best team in the comp (yuck.) A training run against witches hats like the Giants just usually don’t actually help much when coming up against real opposition the next week, especially Carlton who dominate contested possession. The pre finals bye means it’s not a good idea to rest players in the final round for the sake of it as it’s too much time off so can’t see the Blues resting Cripps. Lyon will know that the job isn’t done and won’t let us go in half arsed against the Lions. Enjoy the moment!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are being far too pessimistic. We just had our best win in a decade, it sucks that those two freak results happened but we can’t control that. Play like we have the past 2 weeks and are a shout to beat Brisbane let alone get flogged enough to make a close Giants win a problem. Sydney are playing a top 4 team. There’s something weird going on at the Dogs, I’m pretty convinced they are all over Bevo and there is every chance they s**t the bed against Geelong and Bevo gets the arse. Carlton are the form and possibly best team in the comp (yuck.) A training run against witches hats like the Giants just usually don’t actually help much when coming up against real opposition the next week, especially Carlton who dominate contested possession. The pre finals bye means it’s not a good idea to rest players in the final round for the sake of it as it’s too much time off so can’t see the Blues resting Cripps. Lyon will know that the job isn’t done and won’t let us go in half arsed against the Lions. Enjoy the moment!
Agree. The way we are playing we can beat anyone. Bring on September.

Disagree on Membery

Played well.

The big thing is he sticks his marks.

I love Hammer but right now we look better with Membery in the side. The mix of him, King and Sharman is working.
If/when we make finals, Membrey plays ahead of Caminiti. That's simply the way it has to be. Hardened bodies and experience wins finals. I would also say the same about Ross if he hadn't injured himself. They may not be superstars, but they do more than simply shore us up.

That was probably his best ever match. Absolutely elite quality ball use, positioning and contribution. If he plays like that every week we are going to push any side. That was as good as anything you get from the absolute superstars of the comp. To do it in a big match against last year's premier was fantastic timing.

Yep, Sincs was unbelievable last night. Out and out star of the competition. Takes responsibility and wants the ball in his hands to make things happen.... then executes beautifully.

People are being far too pessimistic. We just had our best win in a decade, it sucks that those two freak results happened but we can’t control that. Play like we have the past 2 weeks and are a shout to beat Brisbane let alone get flogged enough to make a close Giants win a problem. Sydney are playing a top 4 team. There’s something weird going on at the Dogs, I’m pretty convinced they are all over Bevo and there is every chance they s**t the bed against Geelong and Bevo gets the arse. Carlton are the form and possibly best team in the comp (yuck.) A training run against witches hats like the Giants just usually don’t actually help much when coming up against real opposition the next week, especially Carlton who dominate contested possession. The pre finals bye means it’s not a good idea to rest players in the final round for the sake of it as it’s too much time off so can’t see the Blues resting Cripps. Lyon will know that the job isn’t done and won’t let us go in half arsed against the Lions. Enjoy the moment!

Carlton aren't going to want to rest players and just wobble into finals either. Likely getting players back and need to play them into form while creating some cohesion. Playing in Melbourne and you'd be thinking that a GWS win is very unlikely. Carlton are still trying to build credibility, no way they just take the foot off now.

Melbourne could definitely lose to the Hawks and have to beat Sydney to make top 4 too. They are still a dominant side. Geelong should knock off the Dogs down there too. Probably the last game for a few Cats at the ground that they have lost 15 games in a decade or something.

We should finish 6th.

Yep, Sincs was unbelievable last night. Out and out star of the competition. Takes responsibility and wants the ball in his hands to make things happen.... then executes beautifully.

He's been A grade for 2 years and is our best player by a margin but last night he was absolute elite. That's the shit guys like Bont, Danger, Fyfe etc do, just turn into the big dog in primetime.

Probably should be a post in the Brisbane game thread but is yesterdays 22 our side? Has Cordy gone ahead Howard? Has Sharman gone ahead of Caminti? Or does Caminti trump Membery?

I feel like the only possible improvement on that 22 would be an in form Coffield?
Was a fun match last night!
Yes, I think that's our best side. Cordy is streets ahead of Dougs and Sharman/Caminiti is a toss up for me. With Seb missing we need a sub so that's probably Billings. An in form Coff would be a welcome addition but he'd better hurry up. Lots to like about this team. The kicking skills of Sincs, Naz, Hill, Wilkie, Stocker, Webster and Cordy are sublime. So rare for a Saints side.

Carlton aren't going to want to rest players and just wobble into finals either. Likely getting players back and need to play them into form while creating some cohesion. Playing in Melbourne and you'd be thinking that a GWS win is very unlikely. Carlton are still trying to build credibility, no way they just take the foot off now.

Melbourne could definitely lose to the Hawks and have to beat Sydney to make top 4 too. They are still a dominant side. Geelong should knock off the Dogs down there too. Probably the last game for a few Cats at the ground that they have lost 15 games in a decade or something.

We should finish 6th.
Agree

Carlton and Melbourne both favourites to win next week

Sydney down here for our 1st final would be good

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23, 2023: St.Kilda v Geelong *HIGGINS 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back