Autopsy Round 24, 2023: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a moment in the third quarter where Cordy picked up the ball near the goal line, looked at a risky handball to Sincs and then just walked it over the line for a point.
Was a very small, simple moment but enough to make me happy as all I could picture was Dougal in that situation taking on the tackler and getting caught or turning it over.
Safe, simple and smart works for me on the last line of defence. Cordy stays in for mine

What could happen is Howard is picked and either Cordy is moved elsewhere or perhaps Webster is omitted.

This isn't what i want but having seen our numbskull coaches over the years do exactly what they shouldn't do (rewarding bad form with continued gametime) has me pessimistic in regards to Howard playing.

HTF do we expect to win a game of football when one of your starting midfielders (Clark) can only manage 54% TOG? Thats disgraceful by the player and poor player management by the coaches. Surely they could hide him in a forward pocket and push Butler up onto a wing or something? Byrnes played 47% and had more possessions and much more of an impact as the sub.

Papers should be well and truly stamped Hunter and he cant blame anyone but himself!
In fairness to Clark here, he did get some sort of leg injury in the 2nd half. Getting that assessed and worked on would have impact his TOG.

What could happen is Howard is picked and either Cordy is moved elsewhere or perhaps Webster is omitted.

This isn't what i want but having seen our numbskull coaches over the years do exactly what they shouldn't do (rewarding bad form with continued gametime) has me pessimistic in regards to Howard playing.
Webster isn't being omitted with either Greene or Papley awaiting us.

There was a moment in the third quarter where Cordy picked up the ball near the goal line, looked at a risky handball to Sincs and then just walked it over the line for a point.
Was a very small, simple moment but enough to make me happy as all I could picture was Dougal in that situation taking on the tackler and getting caught or turning it over.
Safe, simple and smart works for me on the last line of defence. Cordy stays in for mine
I remember that small moment and thought the same. Cordy has to stay in feel much more confident with him on the last line.

HTF do we expect to win a game of football when one of your starting midfielders (Clark) can only manage 54% TOG? Thats disgraceful by the player and poor player management by the coaches. Surely they could hide him in a forward pocket and push Butler up onto a wing or something? Byrnes played 47% and had more possessions and much more of an impact as the sub.

Papers should be well and truly stamped Hunter and he cant blame anyone but himself!
He had a corky

Gee i got a sore head today and I'm having trouble finding the usual bait after Sharman is gifted a game with the big boys....HELLO....anyone want to chat about the elephant in the room.

Gee i got a sore head today and I'm having trouble finding the usual bait after Sharman is gifted a game with the big boys....HELLO....anyone want to chat about the elephant in the room.
He was poor yesterday but has been good recently. I think he'll lose his spot to Hayes though as Jack can go into the ruck.

It seems unnecessary to constantly bag a young player that is trying to find himself as an AFL player. He has genuinely played an important part in getting us into the finals.

I know it's obviously a big joke to you but you can understand why supporters get defensive when you constantly target a player.

If you have a 20 possession game, you've got the ball in your hand for less than 2 minutes. It stands to reason then, what you do for the rest of the game is also very important to the outcome of the game. Sharman looks to be playing as a defensive forward and making his defender accountable seems to be one of his key roles. Sometimes you have to sacrifice your game for the benefit of many. Did he fulfill his role? Answer is, I don't know. That's up to the coaches to make that assessment but I wouldn't be judging it solely on number of possessions.
I suspect the plan was for him to be the third man up in some sort of team defence against Andrews when the ball went deep into the forward line but that didn't seem to work out that well.

It will be intriguing to see which way they go simply because each of the three (Hayes, Sharman and Caminiti) play the role of 3rd tall slightly differently (and have different strengths) and that means the game plan would have to be tweaked depending on who gets a game.

Last edited:
He was poor yesterday but has been good recently. I think he'll lose his spot to Hayes though as Jack can go into the ruck.

It seems unnecessary to constantly bag a young player that is trying to find himself as an AFL player. He has genuinely played an important part in getting us into the finals.

I know it's obviously a big joke to you but you can understand why supporters get defensive when you constantly target a player.

Dont get me wrong, it's theses types of discussions that help us grow and learn as supporters, I'm not looking for apologies or anything like that but I think it's important my expertise in the area of list management is acknowledged so we avoid wasting band width in the future when I highlight players capable of AFL standards and players who aren't.

You're welcome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need more attacking flare and weapons

Defence is never an issue with Ross Lyon sides but we need more than one club in the bag
Always going to struggle to kick big scores with an average midfield I reckon. We were smashed in clearances, smashed in inside 50's.

In the end the scoreline was very flattering.

Agree with all 3. Think you will get your wish end of this season. I’ll also shake up the ruck situation as well, Marshall pads his stats with his 30 odd taps to no one and 10 scrubber kicks a game, half of these kicks go directly to the opposition. We need a ruck that can tap the ball cleanly to our mid like Ryder, or win it and hand ball to a teammate on the move… otherwise, having a ruck playing like a poorly skilled tall mid is ineffective.

Webster is also limited half back. Can never keep his feet or stick a tackle. Apart from punching the ball, does little to beat his man or win the ball.

If we upgrade in these 5 positions + 2 new capable ball winning mids, the team improve out of sight

This would have to be the worst take I’ve ever seen on any online forum. Absolute stinker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all 3. Think you will get your wish end of this season. I’ll also shake up the ruck situation as well, Marshall pads his stats with his 30 odd taps to no one and 10 scrubber kicks a game, half of these kicks go directly to the opposition. We need a ruck that can tap the ball cleanly to our mid like Ryder, or win it and hand ball to a teammate on the move… otherwise, having a ruck playing like a poorly skilled tall mid is ineffective.

Webster is also limited half back. Can never keep his feet or stick a tackle. Apart from punching the ball, does little to beat his man or win the ball.

If we upgrade in these 5 positions + 2 new capable ball winning mids, the team improve out of sight
People are really still talking about trading Marshall??

FFS

Always going to struggle to kick big scores with an average midfield I reckon. We were smashed in clearances, smashed in inside 50's.

In the end the scoreline was very flattering.
So we now land on something we've known all along and that is we are a middle of the ladder list...

Can't wait till trade time comes around to get a glimpse of what changes Ross will make to get us up the ladder

So we now land on something we've known all along and that is we are a middle of the ladder list...

Can't wait till trade time comes around to get a glimpse of what changes Ross will make to get us up the ladder
I don't think I've ever claimed we had a premiership list and I don't remember anyone else claiming that either so I wouldn't be pretending you are some kind of prophet.

The list is obviously better than the crap we've been dishing up for most of the previous 2 years though, even you will have to admit that now.

We've clearly shown improvement and we are now running the like of Phillipou and Owens through there regularly which is where most of the improvement will come from.

Last edited:
Hayes positives....first game for almost 2 years he took some really strong one grab marks under pressure pod as Sharman does not.

Strong body and gives it his all.

Hayes Negatives he is a bit off the pace....let's put that down to first game. He was monstered in the ruck and was ineffectual. Just thrown out of the way by MacInerney. Did not like that aspect at all and expected a bit more. Maybe a reminder and welcome back to the big boy games.

Sharman is more mobile and gets it done the last few weeks gets my nod.

Also Pou getting a few cba and clearances is a sign of the future.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think I've ever claimed we had a premiership list and I don't remember anyone else claiming that either so I wouldn't be pretending you are some kind of prophet.

The list is obviously better than the crap we've been dishing up for most of the previous 2 years though, even you will have to admit that now.

We've clearly shown improvement and we are now running the like of Phillipou and Owens through there regularly which is where most of the improvement has come from.
We've been for some time now, possibly 3 to 4 years arguably, a middle of the ladder list, with all players available capable of a preliminary final maybe, we are the current day North under Scott,

My prophecy is Lyon will have the same challenge as all before him and that is being able to procure a Flag type list. He's a good coach but he can't do magic when it comes to building a flag list. That's the interesting space ahead

We've been for some time now, possibly 3 to 4 years arguably, a middle of the ladder list, with all players available capable of a preliminary final maybe, we are the current day North under Scott,

My prophecy is Lyon will have the same challenge as all before him and that is being able to procure a Flag type list. He's a good coach but he can't do magic when it comes to building a flag list. That's the interesting space ahead
I don't remember North playing first or 2nd year players for over 100 games between them while they were in that phase?

Lyon seems well aware of his challenges which is why he is pumping games into them and backing kids rather than the same old same old.

I agree it's an interesting space ahead, but we looked to have taken a big step forward this year, although it was questionable at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24, 2023: Brisbane v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back