Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched bid
29. Geelong - Archie Roberts
26. Gold Coast Matched bid
27. Gold Coast Matched bid
30. Carlton - Tew Jiath
31. Richmond - Will Patton
32. Brisbane - Caidyn Cleary (Bid not matched)
33. Essendon - Mitch Edwards
30. Gold Coast Matched bid
35. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
35. Collingwood - Angus Hastie
36. Fremantle - Phoenix Gothard
37. Essendon - Jack Delean
34. Gold Coast Matched bid
38. West Coast - Cooper Simpson
36. Gold Coast Matched bid
39. Brisbane - Joel Freijah
40. St Kilda - Luke Lloyd
39. Gold Coast (surplus from Read bid) Matched bid
41. Richmond - Charlie McCormack (Bid not matched)
41. Gold Coast (traded from Melbourne) Matched bid
42. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
43. GWS - Billy Wilson

ROUND 3 :

41. Hawthorn Matched bid
44. Sydney - Koen Sanchez
45. Fremantle - Logan Morris
44. Hawthorn Matched bid
45. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
45. Hawthorn Matched bid
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
46. Brisbane - Riley Weatherill
49. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
50. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
47. Sydney - Wil Dawson
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
48. North Melbourne - Liam Fawcett
49. West Coast - Lachie Charleson
50. Fremantle - Nathan Philactides

ROUND 4 :

51. Carlton - Joe Fonti
52. Port Adelaide - Kane McAuliffe
53. Hawthorn (surplus from McCabe bid) - Clay Hall
54. Geelong - Kade De La Rue

ROUND 5 :

55. West Coast - Shaun Mannagh
56. Geelong Harvey Johnstone
57. St Kilda - George Stevens
58. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

59. St Kilda - Will Lorenz
60. Port Adelaide - Bodie Ryan
61. Western Bulldogs
62. Melbourne (traded from Gold Coast)
62. Gold Coast Matched bid
63. Western Bulldogs - Pass
64. Western Bulldogs - Pass
65. Gold Coast Matched bid
66. Gold Coast Matched bid
65. Hawthorn - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Gold Coast - Pass

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:
Sorry for the hold up gents, didn’t know it had begun.

Since I’m picking for Geelong and have some late picks I want to bring them as far forward as I can so I going to be a huge campaigner and nominate

Jordan Croft

If Dogs match the bid then I will select

Nate Caddy.

I’ll reserve the next post and edit with a write up once my pick has been confirmed.

Ethan Read has already been bid on and matched

eagles rule has confirmed by PM he wishes to match any bid on Croft

So Nate Caddy is off to Geelong

Ethan Read has already been bid on and matched

eagles rule has confirmed by PM he wishes to match any bid on Croft

So Nate Caddy is off to Geelong

Sorry mate read above I edited the post with Rogers before you posted this.

If that’s an issue I will take Caddy and let’s move along

Essendon selects Ollie Murphy. Hopefully he comes on as expected so that we don't have to pay another potato with the turning circle of a Mack truck $1.5 million dollars a year.

STRENGTHS:

• Aerial ability
  • Competitiveness
  • Composure
  • Intercept marking
  • Kicking
  • Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Defensive craft
  • Strength

Murphy came into the season as a relative unknown, playing most of his junior football as a ruck and key forward, but a switch to the back line has seen Murphy bolt into first round calculations heading into November's AFL Draft. Whilst he rarely stuffs the stats sheet with disposals, Murphy’s ability to win one-on-one’s or cause stoppages when caught outnumbered inside defensive 50 was invaluable at all levels this year, often stopping thwarting attacking plays on the last line of defence.

As arguably the most consistent Vic Metro player across four National Championship games, Murphy was named MVP for his team, averaging 4.5 marks, 3.8 spoils and 4.0 rebound 50s, proving a strong contributor in both defence and offence for his side. Not only was Murphy recognised as his side's MVP, he was also named in the All-Australian side for the carnival.

Murphy’s strongest attribute is his aerial ability, with his experience in the forward line as a junior showing in his aggression when approaching the ball in the air, and prowess in one-on-one contests. He has a great knack for taking the ball at its highest point, with his reach allowing him to compete well even when coming in late or from behind.

Despite his lighter frame, Murphy is able to hold on to the ball convincingly even when receiving contact from opposition coming in late. Finding the balance between attacking and defending at times remains a battle, but when he gets to the contest he often makes the right decision between marking or playing the percentages with a spoil.

Murphy will also likely need a couple of years of development before being able to consistently impact at the next level, especially in the way of strength and size. Even at Under 18 level, stronger opponents gave him trouble and if he didn't pluck a mark, going to ground was sometimes an issue.

Murphy is just as capable when the ball hits the deck at ground level, showing surprising cleanliness below his knees even when under direct pressure, sometimes beating much smaller opponents when grabbing the ball off the ground.

It’s not all defensive efforts for Murphy though, with his ability to impact in the attacking phase of the game just as dangerous with his decision making and ball use, not afraid to bite off dangerous disposal attempts when the option presents itself, but also balancing that with smart and safe use out of the defensive 50 when required.

Doashuey

Sorry mate read above I edited the post with Rogers before you posted this.

If that’s an issue I will take Caddy and let’s move along

Nah that’s all good

Will adjust for Rogers being bid on after Croft

Ethan Read was bid on with pick 8 requiring 1241 points to match

Matched using 30 (629 points), 34 (584 points) and 36 (502 points) which is an overall surplus of 474 points equivalent to pick 39

Jordan Croft was bid on with pick 10 requiring 1116 points to match

Matched using 45 (347 points), 47 (316 points), 49 (287 points) and 50 (273 points) which is an overall surplus of 107 points equivalent to pick 65

Jake Rogers was bid on with pick 11 requiring 1063 points to match

Matched using 39 (446 points) and 52 (246 points) which is a shortfall of 371 points that can’t be covered by their next two picks - 65 (90 points) and 66 (80 points)

To cover the shortfall they trade a F2 pick tied to Brisbane and pick 65 to Melbourne** for pick 41 (412 points). Gives them a surplus of 41 points equivalent to pick 71

* I chose Melbourne because there’s a strong indication they may only use 2 picks and they may be happy to get a F2 pick in exchange for a pick they might not use

NGL, all the above took a while to work out and I hope I’ve got it right. Does go to show that Gold Coast will have to do some more pick swaps on draft night to add more points or, as I’ve done, trade out one of their future picks

Draft order has been amended to reflect the matched bids

Ethan Read was bid on with pick 8 requiring 1241 points to match

Matched using 30 (629 points), 34 (584 points) and 36 (502 points) which is an overall surplus of 474 points equivalent to pick 39

Jordan Croft was bid on with pick 10 requiring 1116 points to match

Matched using 45 (347 points), 47 (316 points), 49 (287 points) and 50 (273 points) which is an overall surplus of 107 points equivalent to pick 65

Jake Rogers was bid on with pick 11 requiring 1063 points to match

Matched using 39 (446 points) and 52 (246 points) which is a shortfall of 371 points that can’t be covered by their next two picks - 65 (90 points) and 66 (80 points)

To cover the shortfall they trade a F2 pick tied to Brisbane and pick 65 to Melbourne** for pick 41 (412 points). Gives them a surplus of 41 points equivalent to pick 71

* I chose Melbourne because there’s a strong indication they may only use 2 picks and they may be happy to get a F2 pick in exchange for a pick they might not use

NGL, all the above took a while to work out and I hope I’ve got it right. Does go to show that Gold Coast will have to do some more pick swaps on draft night to add more points or, as I’ve done, trade out one of their future picks

Draft order has been amended to reflect the matched bids
M
Brisbane would probably like to trade our two picks in the 50’s to GC to get our future second round pick back.

Brisbane plan to take 4 picks to the draft, take two kids, trade our last two picks, upgrade Connor McKenna to the senior list, and pass on the last pick.

Doashuey - Your go mate.
Ardents a grump Covid Kent today and needs his mock draft fill.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Pick 14 Adelaide Crows select Darcy Wilson.

An athletically gifted 186cm outside mid that will slot in on the Adelaide Oval wing using his pace to break the lines and his cannon boot to pump it into Tex and Co. HE can also push forward and can sniff out a goal with 9 kicked from 11 games with the Murray Bushrangers this year.
His combine testing was elite with the top score for the running vertical and high finishes in the standing vertical, agility and 2km time trial tests.

Wilson-Darcy-GettyImages-1534532449-scaled.jpeg

UseR2006 you're up.

M

Brisbane would probably like to trade our two picks in the 50’s to GC to get our future second round pick back.

Brisbane plan to take 4 picks to the draft, take two kids, trade our last two picks, upgrade Connor McKenna to the senior list, and pass on the last pick.

I think the reality is Gold Coast will have a couple of suitors to split one or more of their round 2 picks on draft night to create more points

Or have a club like Brisbane trade a pick for future picks like you’ve suggested

Truth is using Melbourne’s pick was the easiest one to minimise disruption to this mock draft

There’s also going to be a bid on Will Graham at some stage which depending on when it comes the Suns don’t have the points for yet in this mock. I might use Brisbane then

Just got home from work. Geez Melbourne are perfectly fine to use up the clock a bit :D

Melbourne will take James Leake.

Leake is a little bit of a reach but is a nice utility able to play in all thirds.
Will likely be used up front and delivering into f50 where they could use a good decision maker.

1698991933708.png

Just got home from work. Geez Melbourne are perfectly fine to use up the clock a bit :D

Melbourne will take James Leake.

Leake is a little bit of a reach but is a nice utility able to play in all thirds.
Will likely be used up front and delivering into f50 where they could use a good decision maker.

View attachment 1845184
Good pick. Was hoping he would slide to Crows next pick. Probably not an absolute list need after taking Wilson but likely to become a very good player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back