Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched bid
29. Geelong - Archie Roberts
26. Gold Coast Matched bid
27. Gold Coast Matched bid
30. Carlton - Tew Jiath
31. Richmond - Will Patton
32. Brisbane - Caidyn Cleary (Bid not matched)
33. Essendon - Mitch Edwards
30. Gold Coast Matched bid
35. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
35. Collingwood - Angus Hastie
36. Fremantle - Phoenix Gothard
37. Essendon - Jack Delean
34. Gold Coast Matched bid
38. West Coast - Cooper Simpson
36. Gold Coast Matched bid
39. Brisbane - Joel Freijah
40. St Kilda - Luke Lloyd
39. Gold Coast (surplus from Read bid) Matched bid
41. Richmond - Charlie McCormack (Bid not matched)
41. Gold Coast (traded from Melbourne) Matched bid
42. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
43. GWS - Billy Wilson

ROUND 3 :

41. Hawthorn Matched bid
44. Sydney - Koen Sanchez
45. Fremantle - Logan Morris
44. Hawthorn Matched bid
45. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
45. Hawthorn Matched bid
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
46. Brisbane - Riley Weatherill
49. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
50. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
47. Sydney - Wil Dawson
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
48. North Melbourne - Liam Fawcett
49. West Coast - Lachie Charleson
50. Fremantle - Nathan Philactides

ROUND 4 :

51. Carlton - Joe Fonti
52. Port Adelaide - Kane McAuliffe
53. Hawthorn (surplus from McCabe bid) - Clay Hall
54. Geelong - Kade De La Rue

ROUND 5 :

55. West Coast - Shaun Mannagh
56. Geelong Harvey Johnstone
57. St Kilda - George Stevens
58. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

59. St Kilda - Will Lorenz
60. Port Adelaide - Bodie Ryan
61. Western Bulldogs
62. Melbourne (traded from Gold Coast)
62. Gold Coast Matched bid
63. Western Bulldogs - Pass
64. Western Bulldogs - Pass
65. Gold Coast Matched bid
66. Gold Coast Matched bid
65. Hawthorn - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Gold Coast - Pass

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:

PMBangers Declan, mate, this is top notch. Full credit to you and the team
Much appreciated, Michael and the graphic design team have outdone themselves again this year, proud to be able to put my name to it even if it is just a small contribution

I'm at home with Rona (for the 3rd time) and can actually make my picks in a prompt fashion for once... And then I land the Pies with only two picks, in one of my favourite events of the year.
Third time? You been licking bats or something?

I barely had it once!

I know this is slightly early, but I probably wouldn't be able to pick before mid-afternoon and didn't want to hold up kick-off.

Will do a proper write up this afternoon.

Never considered bidding for Walter, I don't think he's the better prospect and I'm not as petty as a campaigner as many think.

<insert joke about Petruccelle or Adamson here>

All things considered, easiest selection in many years. West Coast have decided to JTR - HARLEY REID. Welcome aboard!

Hook461123 you're up.

I know this is slightly early, but I probably wouldn't be able to pick before mid-afternoon and didn't want to hold up kick-off.

Will do a proper write up this afternoon.

Never considered bidding for Walter, I don't think he's the better prospect and I'm not as petty as a campaigner as many think.

<insert joke about Petruccelle or Adamson here>

All things considered, easiest selection in many years. West Coast have decided to JTR - HARLEY REID. Welcome aboard!

Hook461123 you're up.
The Iron Throne is an efficient beast.

With Pick 2 North Melbourne bid on Jed Walter

The bustling key forward will be a force to be reckoned with at AFL level. At 194cm he may be a little undersized but what he lacks in height he makes up for in physicality.

Just at adept at crashing packs as he is on the lead or in a marking contest, he will be a handful for AFL defenders in years to come.

However, It is not only his marking prowess that has recruiters (Gold Coast) excited but also his defensive pressure. He is renowned for his intense pressure inside 50 with good closing speed and brutal physicality.

Keys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Pick 3 North Melbourne select Colby McKercher 180cm/76kg

The strategy for North with its first couple of picks is to go best available talent.

A major part of the Allies national championship winning team where he placed second in the Larke medal count averaging 33 disposals and six clearances a game. McKercher is about as close as you get to an afl star lock. He’s fast and skillful with an ability to win the ball on both the inside and outside. He’s got a good mix of endurance and speed where his quick first few steps give him the ability to break out into space, where he can then use his skills to pick out teammates. He’s been likened to Essendon all Australian skipper Zac Merrett in the way he links up between plays, runs hard for possessions and delivers the ball with precision inside 50.

A high possession player with good skills means North are going to want to get the ball into his hands. He will link up well with the inside mids of LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin and I’m sure Larkey will be licking his lips with the ball coming into him with speed and precision.

Last edited:
Hook selecting McKercher

SmYd.gif

With Pick 4 North Melbourne select Zane Duursma 189cm/80kg

Duursma will provide a much-needed forward half presence for North. His arial ability and clean hands are elite and he has kicked over 30 goals in the past two coates talent league seasons. He’s a smooth mover that looks stylish with ball in hand. He has shown an ability to move into the midfield at times and has clean hands when the ball hits the ground. He kicked a goal in every talent league game this season and multiple goals in 8 of the 12 games he played. His best outing in the championships came in the last game against Vic Metro where he had 4 goals, 22 disposals and 10 marks.

He is a great finisher and will be a danger to AFL defenders both in the air and on the ground.

dinnaz your up

With pick 5 Hawthorn select Connor O'Sullivan 198cm, 92kg

‐--‐----------------
Right, I'll be the first to shake things up but still taking elite talent ✅️and in a position of need✅

Ive gone for the best KPD available who will dominate the back half, and really give some structure to an otherwise weak defensive unit.

I believe their list needs a lot of work outside of the midfield so ive bypassed Sanders, and while Watson is tempting theres a plethora of small forward options already.
-------
Full write up to come once I can reach a pc🫡

eagles rule

With pick 5 Hawthorn select Connor O'Sullivan 198cm, 92kg

‐--‐----------------
Right, I'll be the first to shake things up but still taking elite talent ✅️and in a position of need✅

Ive gone for the best KPD available who will dominate the back half, and really give some structure to an otherwise weak defensive unit.

I believe their list needs a lot of work outside of the midfield so ive bypassed Sanders, and while Watson is tempting theres a plethora of small forward options already.
-------
Full write up to come once I can reach a pc🫡
Huge call.

With Pick 2 North Melbourne bid on Jed Walter

The bustling key forward will be a force to be reckoned with at AFL level. At 194cm he may be a little undersized but what he lacks in height he makes up for in physicality.

Just at adept at crashing packs as he is on the lead or in a marking contest, he will be a handful for AFL defenders in years to come.

However, It is not only his marking prowess that has recruiters (Gold Coast) excited but also his defensive pressure. He is renowned for his intense pressure inside 50 with good closing speed and brutal physicality.

Keys

To match this bid Gold Coast needed 2014 points

They lose picks 25,26 and 27 to match and have 203 points leftover - briztoon can you recall what happens to those surplus points as I forget

To match this bid Gold Coast needed 2014 points

They lose picks 25,26 and 27 to match and have 203 points leftover - briztoon can you recall what happens to those surplus points as I forget

27 slides back to wherever a pick worth 203 points would be, I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back