Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I forgot a little how much I loved Ward, Walsh, Brown and Wheatley off HB/Wing in that team. Probably their peak around then together. They were so aggressive, feel like we were ahead of our time there
Yeah, geez Nathan Brown was a ****ing good player. He was like Daniel Cross before Daniel Cross in terms of consistency , hardness and reliability. Never got the fanfare but a true footballers footballer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sad. Knew Fidgey back in the day. He was seriously one if the biggest blokes I have ever met

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
my heart goes out to these people that are suffering brain injuries but I also don't want the game to become any more soft than it already is. it's already an absolute embarrassment that the bump is dead and now the tackle is basically dead now too. You have to basically place them on the grass now, tuck them in and sing them a lullaby to make sure you don't get suspended. It's a joke.

But how come the afl can't get around the CTE stuff like sports like ice hockey, UFC, boxing etc.? I've never understood how afl is the only club in capable of getting around it? Can't they just sign waivers and be done with it?

Also, I thought CTE could only be confirmed after death?

my heart goes out to these people that are suffering brain injuries but I also don't want the game to become any more soft than it already is. it's already an absolute embarrassment that the bump is dead and now the tackle is basically dead now too. You have to basically place them on the grass now, tuck them in and sing them a lullaby to make sure you don't get suspended. It's a joke.

But how come the afl can't get around the CTE stuff like sports like ice hockey, UFC, boxing etc.? I've never understood how afl is the only club in capable of getting around it? Can't they just sign waivers and be done with it?

The game isn't soft. The types of impact have just changed. Instead of fat full forwards punching blokes in the head it's now super fast collisions that do the damage.

The bump isn't dead. You can still bump, just don't line blokes up in the head.

AFL isn't the only sport copping it for concussions. The NHL has already had multiple lawsuit pay outs for past players. UFC has only been around a short time, and only recently adopted concussion protocols, so that's a 'watch this space', but given a survey a few years ago had two thirds of UFC fighters saying they expected to have long term health issues from MMA I'm not sure that's a relevant example tbh. Not sure if you're serious about boxing? There's been countless lawsuits relating to brain injuries in that sport.

The 'sign a waiver' thing is off the mark too IMO. The point isn't about whether you should expect to ever have a concussion, it's about the culture of 'get back out there', the protocols and the medical treatment. That's what you'll find the AFL lawsuits will be about, not 'I never thought I'd get concussed'.

Hard bumps and tackles are still permitted, just the current players are muppets who don't know how to do it without massaging their opponents face.

Look at Sydney Stack's hit on Viney as evidence the bump isn't dead.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The game isn't soft. The types of impact have just changed. Instead of fat full forwards punching blokes in the head it's now super fast collisions that do the damage.

The bump isn't dead. You can still bump, just don't line blokes up in the head.

AFL isn't the only sport copping it for concussions. The NHL has already had multiple lawsuit pay outs for past players. UFC has only been around a short time, and only recently adopted concussion protocols, so that's a 'watch this space', but given a survey a few years ago had two thirds of UFC fighters saying they expected to have long term health issues from MMA I'm not sure that's a relevant example tbh. Not sure if you're serious about boxing? There's been countless lawsuits relating to brain injuries in that sport.

The 'sign a waiver' thing is off the mark too IMO. The point isn't about whether you should expect to ever have a concussion, it's about the culture of 'get back out there', the protocols and the medical treatment. That's what you'll find the AFL lawsuits will be about, not 'I never thought I'd get concussed'.
thanks for your response.

Yes, the bump is dead. Sure, the rule is you can bump but if you choose to bump and hit your opponent high then you'll get a long suspension. And thus, players are taught to not bump anymore. This is clear. Hence the bump has been dead for years.

Tackling is also dead. You can't sling tackle anymore, you can't even do chase down tackles from behind and if you saw this season with the embarassing suspensions of James Sicily and Callan Ward who both got suspended for normal tackles. Embarassing stuff by the afl. You basically can't tackle a player to ground anymore. It's hardly even a tough sport anymore. Recruiters will just start to recruit runners and athletes soon.

Sicily got 3 weeks for a standard, soft tackle with no intent. The tackle is dead or in the process of dying.

If the afl is obsessed with protecting the head, why don't we ban players from jumping for marks? as players often get knees in the back of the head.

'The tackle is dead': Mundy, Langdon weigh in on AFL's harsh penalties

Last edited:
Hard bumps and tackles are still permitted, just the current players are muppets who don't know how to do it without massaging their opponents face.

Look at Sydney Stack's hit on Viney as evidence the bump isn't dead.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
showing a few bumps here and there across a 23 round season doesn't prove anything. Coaches have already come out and said that they instruct their players not to bump.

Screenshot_20231216_172310_AFL.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back