News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Time will tell but strongly suspect this won't come to anything

This again šŸ¤¬
Time for a drink and a rage..

Deadpool 2 GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Giant Strides you know less games in WS fires me up.

Club has done a lot right but they have done a lot of ****ed up things too.

I mean seriously, itā€™s not hard enough to grow the game in WS, but they then add Canberra and now pushing the USA?

FFS.
If you're referring to my :oops: emoji on your previous post, it was in reaction to them deleting the post, not your argument.

As a current Canberran, I can't take your side vis-a-vis Canberra games, although I do sympathise with your view ... and I do agree that they shouldn't further siphon games away from western Sydney, so I thought your post in response was quite fine.

Hmmm they posted this then deleted, after my reply.
But that could be coincidence.

No doubt it is. Maybe. Iā€™m taking the WView attachment 1887623View attachment 1887624
Good on you for speaking up like that.

And if we're that keen playing a home game somewhere else, how about the MCG? At least it would be relevant to what we're trying to achieve.

Forget all the foreign sideshows.

If we had to do it, surely we can be the away game against a financially struggling Victorian club (St Kilda, Norths?) - thatā€™s what Port did in their China games for premiership points
Yeah I'm sure there's a work around from losing a Giants stadium game. Tough now that the Canberra deal is locked in...but I'm sure there will be a way.

The + side is that they can try drum up some more international support and the players will love it.

A lot of people shooting it down immediately because it isn't conventional...I think as young club that does things differently we should be thinking outside the box like this.

A lot of people shooting it down immediately because it isn't conventional...I think as young club that does things differently we should be thinking outside the box like this.
Nope.

Iā€™m shooting it down as we are again, most likely losing another Sydney game.

We are a Western Sydney club but have never been here full time.
We joke about South Melbourne but at least they are full time here.

Nope.

Iā€™m shooting it down as we are again, most likely losing another Sydney game.

We are a Western Sydney club but have never been here full time.
We joke about South Melbourne but at least they are full time here.
You can't know that but sure man. I don't wanna lose Giants stadium games either....there's a lot to sort out with that Easter Show every year.

Yeah I'm sure there's a work around from losing a Giants stadium game. Tough now that the Canberra deal is locked in...but I'm sure there will be a way.

The + side is that they can try drum up some more international support and the players will love it.

It'll be a Giants Stadium game. The figures have come out before - there's a contract for three games at Canberra, there's a contract for seven games at Giants Stadium, there's one game uncontracted which we currently play at Giants Stadium. It's that last game that'll be moved.

Phil Davis on SEN Radio discussing Aaron Cadman, Tobyā€™s goal kicking routine, which is the best AFL team on paper and other things:

1705524851701.png

Which club has the best list ON PAPER? Who is the top prospect making strides? - SEN (youtube.com)

James Leake set to become GWSā€™ new Mr Fix It for the Orange Tsunami after being impressed by 2023 run in finals

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

18 JANUARY 2024

The Giantsā€™ Orange Tsunami game style won many admirers in 2023.

None more so than a 17-year-old Tasmanian kid who months later would be looking forward to hitting the ground running for Adam Kingsleyā€™s side.

The versatile James Leake was taken at pick 17 by GWS in the draft and offers plenty of value as a utility player for Kingsley in 2024.

But the chance to play for one of the most exciting teams in the AFL was certainly in Leakeā€™s mind throughout 2023.

ā€œThat was all the way through my draft year, every time I spoke with GWS they seemed keen and I got a good vibe from them,ā€ Leake said.

ā€œTheyā€™re just a super exciting group from the outside looking in. Last year with a new coach coming in, no one expected them to make a prelim final and then for them to do that, everyone enjoys how they go about their business.

ā€œIā€™m extremely lucky to be involved in a group like that and itā€™s going to get the best out of me and push me. But ultimately, I think thatā€™s the best thing for my football. Iā€™m super keen to get to work.ā€

1705525113035.png Leake is ready to make an immediate impact in his first year at GWS. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Leake was a part of the drought-breaking Allies side that won last yearā€™s under-18 National Championship and was named in the competitionā€™s all-Australian backline.

But throughout his footy career he has played across the park, with the Giants hopeful he can replicate that adaptability at AFL level.

Leake knows that he wonā€™t be short of role models for whatever role he might play as heā€™s ready to embrace his ā€˜Mr Fix-Itā€™ tag.

ā€œAll through juniors I played all three positions,ā€ Leake said. ā€œThat helped me have an impact wherever I played across the ground and put me in good stead for the Draft.

ā€œComing into this year, it will be a big jump but Iā€™ll have similar traits and can be used in a similar manner.

ā€œIn terms of different positions, Tom Green in the midfield is a jet and I can watch how he goes about his business on and off the field. Toby Greene is also a superstar.

ā€œFor me, itā€™s such a good opportunity to learn off the best in the competition and make me the best player I can be.

ā€œIā€™m just trying to improve my craft in all thirds of the ground and wherever GWS need a best fit to play, Iā€™ll try and do that.ā€

And while he had no doubts that the Giantsā€™ gamestyle would suit his own attributes, from day one at the club it was clear that there was also an alignment in attitude.

While many were surprised that Leake was taken behind fellow first-round draftee Phoenix Gothard, the pair took it as a vote of confidence that the Giants were so convinced in their plan to get the services of both.

And if they wanted any extra motivation to make an early impression on Kingsley and their new teammates, seeing the likes of Greene and Stephen Coniglio turn up early to the first day of pre-season was all they needed.

ā€œI think it shows how hungry the group is and those older dudes are the ones driving the standards,ā€ Leake said.

ā€œGWS is in a really good spot, one kick away from a grand final last year. The overwhelming feeling among the group is excited to get to work and thatā€™s driven by the players.

ā€œYouā€™re training with people youā€™ve watched on TV for a number of years now so to be here is surreal. Now, itā€™s getting in good habits and routines to set myself up for a good pre-season.

ā€œWeā€™ve now got to go repay the faith and play as hard as we can and see how we go.ā€

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kinda like the idea....I'd probably organise a way to go....but less games in WS wouldn't be good.

San Fran would be the spot
I love San Fran, but any suitable venue will be out of town, it would be "too hard" for a semi interested party (which is the audience).
I'd think somewhere like Chicago which is a sport loving city with lots of venues in and around the city or a smaller market.

I love San Fran, but any suitable venue will be out of town, it would be "too hard" for a semi interested party (which is the audience).
I'd think somewhere like Chicago which is a sport loving city with lots of venues in and around the city or a smaller market.
The T20 cricket World Cup is in the US this year so there is going to be ovals of the correct size for footy in different cities

The T20 cricket World Cup is in the US this year so there is going to be ovals of the correct size for footy in different cities
They also just had their 1st domestic t20 comp which supposedly went above and beyond.

Glad for them to have grounds, they can now get a team and enter.

We are the Western Sydney club the hint is in the name. šŸ¤Ø

They also just had their 1st domestic t20 comp which supposedly went above and beyond.

Glad for them to have grounds, they can now get a team and enter.

We are the Western Sydney club the hint is in the name. šŸ¤Ø
Rubbish ā€¦. I fully support an annual game in Tokyoā€¦.. shit Iā€™ll even get the sponsors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back