News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

If you aren’t outraged by pokies, fast food, alcohol etc etc then your outrage over the Giants sponsorship is in quicksand.

Considering the funding all clubs get from the AFL and they have deals with multiple “morally bankrupt” organisations then meh.

And anyone on this site uses either mobile phones or computers from mining soooo.

Clubs socials are generally child safe and PG. That'll do.
Or at least including hitting teen demo.

Once again....I don't have a massive problem with it but can totally understand why it's copping a lot of heat.
That’s rubbish.
you aren’t supposed to have a social media account till 14ish and even then it’s up to parents to allow them to get it.

We going to blow up over fast food? Alcohol?

If you aren’t outraged by pokies, fast food, alcohol etc etc then your outrage over the Giants sponsorship is in quicksand.

Considering the funding all clubs get from the AFL and they have deals with multiple “morally bankrupt” organisations then meh.

And anyone on this site uses either mobile phones or computers from mining soooo.
Having morality on one issue doesn't mean you have to be a ****ing saint across everything....sometimes you pick a hill to die on and I don't hate that. I actually think that's necessary.

People are allowed to have an opinion on what they like their club supporting and what they don't. It probably won't change anything coz the amount of cash is too important for where we are at as a club.

I do think other clubs having a crack is pretty funny given most of the AFL is pretty conservative leaning and not morally progressive...

I think aligning with Tab is very different than being propped up by pokies but also that loud voices pop up quickly....but disappear quickly. Same with the crypto nonsense

That’s rubbish.
you aren’t supposed to have a social media account till 14ish and even then it’s up to parents to allow them to get it.

We going to blow up over fast food? Alcohol?
Mate people will blow up about everything....

Also....parents are very unlikely to be able to stop a 14 year old from accessing what they want to on the internet.

News release by the club for the partnership.

The GIANTS today announced a partnership with TAB, Australia’s largest online racing and sports wagering brand.

This season will mark the first of a new multi-year partnership between the two brands, seeing the TAB brand collaborate with the GIANTS’ best-in-class digital media content.

TAB will also become the presenting partner of the breathtaking Skydeck area at GIANTS Stadium, that will be unveiled as a new space for members and fans to watch all the live action in what promises to be an exhilarating 2024 season.

This partnership at its core will deliver engaging integrated content and offer money can’t buy experiences with a focus and commitment to delivering exciting and unforgettable sporting moments for all those involved with the GIANTS and TAB.

How are they promoting to a young audience?

It’s just promotion. Not targeting kids.
AFL demographics trend young. It's one of the few legal ways for many companies who face restrictions to advertise in a way that kids are exposed to it legally. It's the same reason alcohol and smokes paid through the nose for sports advertising for many many years.

I do think other clubs having a crack is pretty funny given most of the AFL is pretty conservative leaning and not morally progressive...
NM is about the only club I'd take it from. They divested from pokies years ago and I don't think they've had a gambling sponsor since then either.

I find puff pieces like https://responsiblegambling.vic.gov...vow-to-rid-afl-of-sports-betting-sponsorship/ full of shit though, given they're quite happy to accept the sponsorship through the AFL parent while pretending to keep their hands clean and "vowing to rid AFL of sports betting sponsorship". They're a majority of clubs, they could push it through if they actually cared.

AFL’s march into NSW needs to be a priority for league: Giants coach Adam Kingsley

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

08 FEBRUARY 2024

Adam Kingsley’s first-hand experience as Giants coach has driven his renewed belief that growing Aussie rules in NSW has to become a key priority for the AFL.

Kingsley’s side will be involved in the inaugural opening round initiative with the first four matches of the 2024 season to take place across NSW and Queensland.

However, a year on from Kingsley’s move to western Sydney, he has a greater appreciation of the potential for the sport in the northern states, and he hopes the opening round concept is just the beginning.

“I think it’s a great initiative from the AFL to try and bring the game to the northern states and promote the game,” Kingsley said.

“Because ultimately we all know that’s where the last part of the game will be. It’s an untapped area, in western Sydney. I think there’s an enormous opportunity to tap into that market and we need to do everything we can to do that.”

Reflecting on his first 12 months as an AFL senior coach, one of Kingsley’s motivations for taking the role was to help pioneer the growth of the sport.

It wasn’t the first opportunity that came up for Kingsley. He applied for several roles across 15 years as an assistant coach. But from his first meeting with the Giants, he knew that the move, and the challenging nature of it, was right for him.

“I did wait a while but I couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity than up here with the players and the staff that we have,” Kingsley said.

“I’ve found it, not easy, but it feels like there’s a lot of trust among the guys. We’re all pulling in the same direction, working hard and having fun.

“The first [expectation] was the challenge of building the game in this part of the world. So I look at it from that perspective and how I can impact it, whether it’s on or off-field by the way we play.”

The club’s Orange Tsunami game plan won plenty of admirers in 2023 and inherently that was one of Kingsley’s measures for success.

He wants people to be drawn to the Giants and the way they play. In essence, winning hearts and minds is part of the battle in the western Sydney heartland.

The results in Kingsley’s first year were a bonus. No one tipped them to be anywhere near an elimination final, and his recognition as the 2023 Coach of the Year is a testament to the work he did on that journey.

But the Giants are now set to be the hunted. While they’ve quickly become a lot of footy fans’ second favourite team, their aggressive play style, and tongue-in-cheek use of social media, naturally means there is a target on their back.

On the field, Kingsley is determined to make sure they play with that same fearless attitude from the very first bounce against reigning premiers Collingwood on March 9.

And he knows that the trust in the playing group, the same connection that led them to win at a record 11 different venues in 2023, is what will drive them to go one better.

“What I’ve probably learned is that the group is incredibly connected,” Kingsley said.

“It’s probably a by-product of everyone, bar a couple, living away from home. We often talk about this being a big country footy club because of those bonds and connections that every one of our players and staff have.

“The way that guys attack every session, there’s a lot of trust and a high level of competition among the group. They embrace everything you ask them to do. It makes them a lot easier to coach.

“There will be challenges that pop up ahead for all of us. But I’m sure we’ll embrace them and get past them the best we can.

“I just want to see us play the way I know we can play. If we play that brand of footy, that Orange Tsunami that people started labelling, if we do that, then hopefully we’ll be fun to watch.”

Having morality on one issue doesn't mean you have to be a ******* saint across everything....sometimes you pick a hill to die on and I don't hate that. I actually think that's necessary.

People are allowed to have an opinion on what they like their club supporting and what they don't. It probably won't change anything coz the amount of cash is too important for where we are at as a club.

I think aligning with Tab is very different than being propped up by pokies but also that loud voices pop up quickly....but disappear quickly. Same with the crypto nonsense
So just means that your high ground is on shaky ground.

Fast food literally targets kids. Having gambling advertising on an all ages sport is nothing.
We start getting “Happy bets for kids” from Tab then you will see me rise up. Maybe.

So just means that your high ground is on shaky ground.

Fast food literally targets kids. Having gambling advertising on an all ages sport is nothing.
We start getting “Happy bets for kids” from Tab then you will see me rise up. Maybe.
Mate I'm not saying I'm on a higher ground...the whole AFL is propped up by sportsbetting. Most sports league are that or Billionaire money now.
The Giants aren't gonna fix promoting gambling by refusing to take their business...but when a lot of teams are trying to get out of it of course they are gonna cop some flack.
If only Western Sydney Uni would put millions in 😅

I think this story was written off the back of Toby Bedford's media interview.

They've twisted and squished his responses to questions into a different sort of story. Anyway, have a read ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GREATER Western Sydney ruckman Kieren Briggs has welcomed the extra expectations being placed on his side in 2024.

After the Giants' meteoric rise last season, Briggs says the entire squad have their sights set firmly on a premiership. There was no player more synonymous with the Giants' exhilarating surge in the back-half of the 2023 season than Briggs himself. The 24-year-old local Academy product played his first game of the year in a team struggling for wins in round 10.

But from that moment, the Giants would emerge victorious in 12 of their next 17 games, including two away finals victories, and fall just one point shy in the preliminary final against eventual premier, Collingwood. Across that stretch, Briggs accrued the 10th most clearances per game in the League and the second most score launches per game as he emerged as one of the best ruckman in the competition in the second half of the campaign.

Young midfielder Finn Callaghan ready to live up to the hype and guide GWS Giants to a premiership

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

12:00PM FEBRUARY 11, 2024

Finn Callaghan has been the name on everyone’s lips when talking about the Giants’ 2024 aspirations.

Going into his third season with the club, the talented 20-year-old has all the assets to become one of the competition’s elite midfielders.

For a player so young, it can often be hard to balance the pressure of being the ‘breakout star’. However, Callaghan relishes that expectation.

“It’s good, I want to be the best player I can be and one of the best players,” Callaghan said.

“When people write stuff about me it’s nice, and I want to make sure I’m doing my bit by playing good footy. The most important thing is you back it up with your action on the field.

“You see (the articles). It’s hard not to with social media these days. But I just care what my coaches are saying and what my teammates think of me and go from there.”

The self-belief at the Giants was evident throughout their run to the finals last season. Where others had written them off, they went into those same matches believing they were going to win.

Some might interpret that attitude as arrogance on paper, but in person, it’s clear to see it stems from a side brimming with confidence.

And Callaghan speaks for his teammates when he lays out their plans to replicate that success.

“I don’t think there’s any point hiding away from the fact that you want to win a flag,” Callaghan said. “If you didn’t want to win, what are we doing here really?

“We’re confident in the way we go about it and if we play our best football, it’s good enough to beat anyone. We want to win (the flag) and we’ll openly say it.

“I’m sure we’ll evolve as a team. It’s more than just what we did last year. We’ll build off the back of our defensive contest, carry that momentum and we’ll definitely go up another level just from being together another pre-season.

“My part is to become an important member of the team and help drive us towards a premiership in 2024.”

The early signs are that Callaghan’s actions will live up to his words.

This year is the first time that he has been able to complete an entire pre-season. That effort is paying off with the midfielder one of the best on the park during Friday’s match simulation.

Playing predominantly on the ball, Callaghan has managed to take both his speed and size to the next level. Combine that with the former No. 3 draft pick’s natural skills by hand and he could become a force in one of the competition’s most exciting teams.

“It’s been great, I’ve finally got good continuity in my body,” Callaghan said.

“I feel fitter and stronger. I’ve never been able to get more than six weeks of a pre-season ahead of round one before.

“I certainly feel better in my legs and that I’ll be able to run out games. Building that connection and synergy with the boys has also been great.

“Naturally completing every session your tank is going to improve. But it’s more so skills and building our connection with midfielders and halfbacks. That’s certainly gone to another level and that’ll show in the games coming up.

“I think it will be a similar role (this year), Josh Kelly and I will still play on the ball and then a bit on the wing. But I’m happy to play wherever Kingers (coach Adam Kingsley) wants me, hopefully, that’ll be looking to be more on the ball.”

He also needs no extra motivation after the Giants’ agonising one-point loss to the Pies in last year’s preliminary final.

That game, and the Giants’ two finals victories, will continue to serve as a reminder both of how well the team can play, and how far Callaghan has to go.

“Last year we were a bit slow to get off the blocks so it will be important for us to get going quickly,” Callaghan said. “There’s no better chance to that than against the reigning premiers.

“They were the benchmark of the comp so it will be good to test ourselves and see where we’re at.

“Seeing players like (Jordan) De Goey and those guys, their level in big games was an eye-opener of where I need to get to. And that’s where we want to be, we want to play finals.

“I’ll go to a new level this year, 100 per cent. And I’m looking forward to that.”

Bit of media about us appearing at the moment, not sure if that's typical before season commences.

Seems to be a bit of a buzz. Lovin' it :D
Purely on subjective memory ... but seems a little more "buzzy" than usual.

I think that there's a few journos seeing us as a flag contender ...

Most since start of 2017 for me.
We were very well rated and talked about going into that year

I personally worry that we'll regress a little - it felt like we had a bit of luck with the number of narrow wins we had, so our wins probably overstate where we were last year.

However I do also think that usually the second year is when a new coach hits their straps and we've got up side as a result, so it'll be interesting to see which wins out.

I almost feel that having the same result this year but more comprehensively would be a win over last year, even if it's technically no further progression.

I personally worry that we'll regress a little - it felt like we had a bit of luck with the number of narrow wins we had, so our wins probably overstate where we were last year.

However I do also think that usually the second year is when a new coach hits their straps and we've got up side as a result, so it'll be interesting to see which wins out.

I almost feel that having the same result this year but more comprehensively would be a win over last year, even if it's technically no further progression.
Yeah, we pinched a few unlikely wins while the 'game plan' kicked in.
I think that the way we played and won was generating most of the optimism.

Young midfielder Finn Callaghan ready to live up to the hype and guide GWS Giants to a premiership

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

12:00PM FEBRUARY 11, 2024

Finn Callaghan has been the name on everyone’s lips when talking about the Giants’ 2024 aspirations.

Going into his third season with the club, the talented 20-year-old has all the assets to become one of the competition’s elite midfielders.

For a player so young, it can often be hard to balance the pressure of being the ‘breakout star’. However, Callaghan relishes that expectation.

“It’s good, I want to be the best player I can be and one of the best players,” Callaghan said.

“When people write stuff about me it’s nice, and I want to make sure I’m doing my bit by playing good footy. The most important thing is you back it up with your action on the field.

“You see (the articles). It’s hard not to with social media these days. But I just care what my coaches are saying and what my teammates think of me and go from there.”

The self-belief at the Giants was evident throughout their run to the finals last season. Where others had written them off, they went into those same matches believing they were going to win.

Some might interpret that attitude as arrogance on paper, but in person, it’s clear to see it stems from a side brimming with confidence.

And Callaghan speaks for his teammates when he lays out their plans to replicate that success.

“I don’t think there’s any point hiding away from the fact that you want to win a flag,” Callaghan said. “If you didn’t want to win, what are we doing here really?

“We’re confident in the way we go about it and if we play our best football, it’s good enough to beat anyone. We want to win (the flag) and we’ll openly say it.

“I’m sure we’ll evolve as a team. It’s more than just what we did last year. We’ll build off the back of our defensive contest, carry that momentum and we’ll definitely go up another level just from being together another pre-season.

“My part is to become an important member of the team and help drive us towards a premiership in 2024.”

The early signs are that Callaghan’s actions will live up to his words.

This year is the first time that he has been able to complete an entire pre-season. That effort is paying off with the midfielder one of the best on the park during Friday’s match simulation.

Playing predominantly on the ball, Callaghan has managed to take both his speed and size to the next level. Combine that with the former No. 3 draft pick’s natural skills by hand and he could become a force in one of the competition’s most exciting teams.

“It’s been great, I’ve finally got good continuity in my body,” Callaghan said.

“I feel fitter and stronger. I’ve never been able to get more than six weeks of a pre-season ahead of round one before.

“I certainly feel better in my legs and that I’ll be able to run out games. Building that connection and synergy with the boys has also been great.

“Naturally completing every session your tank is going to improve. But it’s more so skills and building our connection with midfielders and halfbacks. That’s certainly gone to another level and that’ll show in the games coming up.

“I think it will be a similar role (this year), Josh Kelly and I will still play on the ball and then a bit on the wing. But I’m happy to play wherever Kingers (coach Adam Kingsley) wants me, hopefully, that’ll be looking to be more on the ball.”

He also needs no extra motivation after the Giants’ agonising one-point loss to the Pies in last year’s preliminary final.

That game, and the Giants’ two finals victories, will continue to serve as a reminder both of how well the team can play, and how far Callaghan has to go.

“Last year we were a bit slow to get off the blocks so it will be important for us to get going quickly,” Callaghan said. “There’s no better chance to that than against the reigning premiers.

“They were the benchmark of the comp so it will be good to test ourselves and see where we’re at.

“Seeing players like (Jordan) De Goey and those guys, their level in big games was an eye-opener of where I need to get to. And that’s where we want to be, we want to play finals.

“I’ll go to a new level this year, 100 per cent. And I’m looking forward to that.”
Glad to hear them being so open about looking to win the flag this year, think it's good to have some expectations and ambition on what you want to set out and achieve. Full pre-season for him could be interesting and we might see him go up a level

The family tragedy that continues to inspire GWS Giants defender Jack Buckley to make the most of every opportunity

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

13 FEBRUARY 2024

The Giants’ incredible run to the preliminary finals last year meant almost more to Jack Buckley than it did to any of his teammates.

The 26-year-old defender had the best season of his footy career in 2023, playing every game just a year after a devastating ACL injury. Being picked up by the club as a Category B rookie in 2017, he is forever indebted for the support he received from the Giants and his teammates.

But it was in those moments celebrating victories against St Kilda and Port Adelaide that he appreciated just how far he had come.

“The best part of that was when we were playing finals, and won a couple, having my dad, sister and Nan down in the change rooms after,” Buckley said.

“Celebrating with them, we’ve been through it all as a family.

“To have those moments together is something that I’ll never forget.”

The Buckley family has been incredibly close for as long as Jack can remember due to unimaginable heartache early in his life.

Buckley’s mother, Kim, passed away from breast cancer in 2004 when he was just six. She bravely fought a four-year battle after being diagnosed in 2000.

And while she didn’t get to experience those incredible inner sanctum moments that Jack counts among the greatest of his life, he knows she would have been watching on with a smile.

“Certainly, I wish Mum was there,” Buckley said. “But I’m sure she was watching somewhere with a champagne in her hand celebrating as well.

“It’s times like that that make it all worth it and all that time I missed [through injury] is in the rear vision mirror now. Being able to play for a year and win some finals and hopefully win a couple more this year coming, it’s an incredible feeling and I’m so grateful to be in a position to do it.”

Buckley’s memories of his mother are mainly limited to her cancer fight given he was so young. But he continues to build on her legacy and he aims to make her proud every time he steps onto the footy field.

“When I was a kid, I always had a footy in my hand and I always loved playing,” Buckley said.

“I was exposed a lot through my old man but I’m sure she would have seen that with me growing up and how much I loved it, and my dream was to play in the AFL.

“It’s certainly something that’s driven me throughout the years making her proud and also bringing a lot of joy to the rest of the family who get to see me live out my dream as well.

“Being able to bring some sort of positivity to the family through footy is just an incredible feeling.”

Reflecting on those times watching Kim go through chemotherapy and radiotherapy have left a big impression on Buckley. They provided him with that understanding of just how traumatising a battle with cancer can be.

But it’s also inspired him to make the most of his profile as a professional athlete. Buckley has joined forces with the Australian Red Cross Lifeblood and the Cancer Council for their new campaign to “stand up to cancer (while sitting down)”.

More than one-third of all donated blood in Australia is used to treat cancer and blood diseases, and Buckley is trying to spread the message of how easily anyone can make a difference.

Over 10,000 blood donations are required every week to support people living with cancer and Buckley hopes he can help encourage footy fans to get involved.

“It’s certainly something that stitches you and the rest of the family [together],” Buckley said. “And it makes opportunities to spread awareness [important] and feel like you’re not helpless, through donating blood.

“Because it is quite a helpless thing watching someone go through cancer and if donating blood helps one per cent then it’s worth doing. But it’s actually worth a lot more than that because they are the greatest users of blood donation.

“It’s an incredible campaign to hear people’s stories who have been affected by it and I just know I’m not alone. And there are so many people around the country who are living it out right now daily.

“I’ll look to bring as many [teammates] and family to donate with me. I’m sure there are a lot of people who haven’t known the link and want to help in any way possible. So it’s going to have an immense impact on the community.

“I’m glad I can have a bit of a positive impact now on something that has been a negative impact for a long time.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back