Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1891264View attachment 1891265

Great to see Curtis Taylor up and flying. Got the hangdog-jogging-behind-the-ball-carrier-looking-into-space thing going so well it's as if it's September already. Clearly LMac can coach from rehab.

I’m not a Curtis Taylor fan but I will say he did a job on Zach Merrett in game 2 against * last year. seeing Merrett struggle get into the game was a sight to behold

It's strange, but sometimes I forget we have Clarko as a coach. I guess it's due to all the crap that went down last year and he was absent at critical parts of the pre & main season.
You watch all the players individually & in drills on the videos, then you see a shot of him pointing or encouraging the players.
It's clear the impact he's having now being there full time. The standards have lifted and the players have clarity. Imagine being a rookie, even the second year players & having the confidence of 4x premiership coach guiding you.

I took my young grandson to his first training session yesterday and he loved it. Can't give much of a report as I was busy looking after him but note the following. Tom Powell really caught my eye he was in everything and moving very well as was Charlie Lazarro. Colby McKercher has some speed and also saw Hardiman turn the jets on. My little boy loved watching the goal kicking and returning the balls that got trapped in the netting. Sheezel, Wardlaw, Curtis and Drury did a fair bit of practice taking set shots starting on one boundary line and moving in an arc across the ground to the other boundary line. Harry Sheezel did not miss, he is a star. Wardlaw and Curtis were also excellent hardly missing a shot and Drury only missed a couple. Of course it is easier to kick goals at training where you have no pressure. Will proably go on Friday to watch the match sim.

If only Sheez “didn’t miss” in that Sydney game!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely has some benefits.

I don’t think they are btw, but it they are actually training full blown jiujitsu I don’t think it’s low impact. It’s a very easy way to get shoulders, elbows and your spine jacked up pretty bad. Even in a very controlled environment the risk of injury is pretty high from my experience.
Agree to disagree, in my experience if you are set basic rules and you have a group that follows them, then there is very low risk of those injuries. I.e no leg locks, no spinal locks/neck cranks, let go as soon as your partner taps etc.
They're also not training full blown Jiu Jitsu which will be better on the bodies and better for conditioning. 2 mins on the mat and you realise just how unfit you are.

Having a look at Max's instagram it's interesting how he's tailored these types of sessions to AFL(W) players (probably helps having a brother in the AFL), he mentions specifically that he tries to make them low impact on the players bodies. Stand up is focused on grappling and getting control rather than throwing your opponent to the ground etc.

Biggest thing you've got to manage is hotheads going full bore at it, but I'd imagine professional AFL players would know not to try and injure your teammate.

And as a side note, apparently LDU has been training it for a while with Max, wonder if he was the one who suggested it to the club.

Last edited:
I took my young grandson to his first training session yesterday and he loved it. Can't give much of a report as I was busy looking after him but note the following. Tom Powell really caught my eye he was in everything and moving very well as was Charlie Lazarro. Colby McKercher has some speed and also saw Hardiman turn the jets on. My little boy loved watching the goal kicking and returning the balls that got trapped in the netting. Sheezel, Wardlaw, Curtis and Drury did a fair bit of practice taking set shots starting on one boundary line and moving in an arc across the ground to the other boundary line. Harry Sheezel did not miss, he is a star. Wardlaw and Curtis were also excellent hardly missing a shot and Drury only missed a couple. Of course it is easier to kick goals at training where you have no pressure. Will proably go on Friday to watch the match sim.
Glad to hear this, he hasn't been mentioned much during pre-season. I hope he makes it and becomes a regular.

Agree to disagree, in my experience if you are set basic rules and you have a group that follows them, then there is very low risk of those injuries. I.e no leg locks, no spinal locks/neck cranks, let go as soon as your partner taps etc.
They're also not training full blown Jiu Jitsu which will be better on the bodies and better for conditioning. 2 mins on the mat and you realise just how unfit you are.

Having a look at Max's instagram it's interesting how he's tailored these types of sessions to AFL(W) players (probably helps having a brother in the AFL), he mentions specifically that he tries to make them low impact on the players bodies. Stand up is focused on grappling and getting control rather than throwing your opponent to the ground etc.

Biggest thing you've got to manage is hotheads going full bore at it, but I'd imagine professional AFL players would know not to try and injure your teammate.

And as a side note, apparently LDU has been training it for a while with Max, wonder if he was the one who suggested it to the club.
Most serious injuries aren't from the actual locks. Its knees, shoulders and back injuries from posting out or rolling/falling the wrong way. And from bumping into other pairs.

It also takes a fair bit of control for competitive beginners to not go hard.

I support them doing it but I wouldn't call it low impact.

I don’t think they are btw, but it they are actually training full blown jiujitsu I don’t think it’s low impact. It’s a very easy way to get shoulders, elbows and your spine jacked up pretty bad. Even in a very controlled environment the risk of injury is pretty high from my experience.

I honestly think he’ll struggle in that league. It’s a strong comp with plenty of seasoned and mature rucks running around. He’ll be in for a shock if he thinks he is going to drop down there and dominate.

Broken jaw and cranked neck from sprawling crew checking in

I honestly think he’ll struggle in that league. It’s a strong comp with plenty of seasoned and mature rucks running around. He’ll be in for a shock if he thinks he is going to drop down there and dominate.
Who’s saying Jacob thinks he’s going to dominate? He’s gone to play with his brother and gave a break from full time footy which it looks like he didn’t enjoy and didn’t seem to fit his personality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broken jaw and cranked neck from sprawling crew checking in
I reckon i've seen more injuries from attempted sprawls than actual jits. It's amazing how often it goes wrong 😂

He’ll be in for a shock if he thinks he is going to drop down there and dominate.

If he had the mindset of wanting to dominate games of footy, he'd still be on an AFL list.

Maybe he just wants to go and play a game called footy with his bro and his mates.

Surprised Brodie Grundy never got look at in the trade period. went for a pick in the 40s to the swans and we give up our pick 40 on draft Night for future peanuts. We’d have enough in the salary cap for someone like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back