News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The most ruck work I'd want Cadman doing is a little bit of chop out i50 anything more than that is dumb, he can't be seen as an option to take on any legitimate load off Briggs' shoulders. If he ends up taking a couple i50 maybe thats fine but nothing more than that.

The most ruck work I'd want Cadman doing is a little bit of chop out i50 anything more than that is dumb, he can't be seen as an option to take on any legitimate load off Briggs' shoulders. If he ends up taking a couple i50 maybe thats fine but nothing more than that.
Agree… don’t think he should do any personally. I’d use Ricca or Brown instead.

The only logical reason to go with Cadman in the ruck contest is that it brings him into the game when his not getting his hands on the ball in the forward line.
He’s not strong enough… the big boys would murder him. He’s not sharp enough on the ground to provide a threat the other way like a Brown would.

Some nice accolades from the ESPN writers for GWS players:

1. TOBY GREENE

Club: GWS
Position: General forward
2023 rank: 11 (+10)

There's nobody in the league more box office than Greene. Period. And, right now, there's nobody better. Last season, Greene took over the Giants' captaincy and rewarded the club with an all-time season that included 66 goals and one of the more unexpected runs to a preliminary final. He's crafty, he's ridiculously skilled, he's unbelievably brilliant, and if you've got the first selection from the entire league, there shouldn't be anyone else you'd rather have for this upcoming season.

The key stat: Greene is one of just two players in AFL history to have produced a 60-goal season as well as two other seasons averaging at least 28 disposals per game.

13. SAM TAYLOR

Position: Key defender
2023 rank: 27 (+14)

Taylor continues to be one of the most underrated and underappreciated players going around, but I don't think that's going to be the case for too much longer. Every week he plays on the opposition's most dangerous forward and just about every week he wins the battle. But it's not just his ability to nullify an opponent that makes him the best lock down defender in the game, he's also been the No. 1 intercept player over the last two seasons. The craziest part? He's still just 24 years of age!

The key stat: Last season, Taylor lost the fewest one-on-one contests of any defender and was the best in the competition at defending an opponent on a lead.

15. TOM GREEN

Position: Midfield
2023 rank: Unranked

There was no better ball winner in the league last year than Green, who averaged 32 disposals per outing. But it wasn't just the ability to accumulate which saw Green soar into the best young midfielder conversation, he also proved to be an elite in-and-under player, averaging more contested possessions per game (15) than anyone else in the league, as well as six clearances and five tackles per contest. He's played just 67 games and isn't yet close to his prime. Scary stuff!

The key stat: Last year, Green joined Rory Laird, Clayton Oliver, Tom Mitchell, Lachie Neale, and Gary Ablett as the only players in the last 10 years to average 32 disposals and 15 contested possessions for a full season.

46. STEPHEN CONIGLIO

Position: Midfield
2023 rank: Unranked

Was 2023 the best season of Coniglio's 12-year career? Yes! Coniglio has thrived under new coach Adam Kingsley, last year averaging a career-best 28 disposals as the Giants stormed to a preliminary final. He also, for the first time, averaged more than four clearances, four inside 50s, and four tackles per game. Coniglio's greatest asset is his speed and exquisite ball use - the fact he's now averaging more uncontested ball than at any point in his career means he can be more dangerous, more often. Expect more of the same in 2024.

The key stat: Across the past two seasons, 25% of Coniglio's kicks inside 50 have been marked by a teammate. Only Zak Butters and Hugh McCluggage boast a better retention rate in that time.

And some backline, forward line & midfield rankings:

Backline

RANKTEAMRANKTEAMRANKTEAM
1GWS7GEE13WB
2CAR8SYD14ADE
3MEL9STK15GC
4COL10RIC16WC
5BL11PA17HAW
6FRE12ESS18NM

Best: GWS

The more you look at their defensive group, the easier it is to say the Giants have the premier backline in the competition. They're led exceptionally by All-Australian key defender Sam Taylor, who arguably reads the ball better than anyone in the entire competition, while partner in crime Jack Buckley is as underrated as they come. In fact, both Taylor and Buckley are the only pair from any team to sit in the AFL's top eight last year for average spoils per game. They'll be complemented by versatile tall Harry Himmelberg and the ever-improving Connor Idun, while Lachie Ash and Lachie Whitfield add a touch of class offensively. The Giants are also the only team from 2023 that had three players rank in the top 20 for average rating points per game for defenders, and players such as former All-Australian Nick Haynes, Isaac Cumming, Harry Perryman, and highly-athletic youngster Leek Aleer provide solid depth.

Midfield

RANKTEAMRANKTEAMRANKTEAM
1WB7PA13STK
2MEL8BL14GEE
3COL9GC15ESS
4CAR10FRE16HAW
5GWS11ADE17NM
6SYD12RIC18WCE

Forward line

RANKTEAMRANKTEAMRANKTEAM
1BL7COL13RIC
2ADE8SYD14STK
3GEE9WB15GC
4GWS10MEL16WCE
5CAR11ESS17FRE
6PA12HAW18NM

Best list: GWS

The Giants are as well balanced across the park as any team in the competition and when looking through their list, there really isn't a weakness at any position. Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg, and Whitfield lead an elite defence. Tom Green is a Brownlow contender in 2024 and alongside Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio and veteran Callan Ward, they remain a formidable midfield group.

Adam Kingsley is also stacked in front of the big sticks; Jesse Hogan leads the key forwards and they still have No. 1 draft pick Aaron Cadman at their disposal. Captain, and arguably the best player in the competition, Toby Greene only adds to an elite attack which has a host of players running through, namely the ferocious Brent Daniels-Toby Bedford partnership, which took the league by storm in 2023.

There is genuine upside, still, in every spot on the ground, which makes the Giants well positioned for yet another flag tilt.

And some backline, forward line & midfield rankings:

Backline

RANKTEAMRANKTEAMRANKTEAM
1GWS7GEE13WB
2CAR8SYD14ADE
3MEL9STK15GC
4COL10RIC16WC
5BL11PA17HAW
6FRE12ESS18NM

Best: GWS

The more you look at their defensive group, the easier it is to say the Giants have the premier backline in the competition. They're led exceptionally by All-Australian key defender Sam Taylor, who arguably reads the ball better than anyone in the entire competition, while partner in crime Jack Buckley is as underrated as they come. In fact, both Taylor and Buckley are the only pair from any team to sit in the AFL's top eight last year for average spoils per game. They'll be complemented by versatile tall Harry Himmelberg and the ever-improving Connor Idun, while Lachie Ash and Lachie Whitfield add a touch of class offensively. The Giants are also the only team from 2023 that had three players rank in the top 20 for average rating points per game for defenders, and players such as former All-Australian Nick Haynes, Isaac Cumming, Harry Perryman, and highly-athletic youngster Leek Aleer provide solid depth.

Midfield

RANKTEAMRANKTEAMRANKTEAM
1WB7PA13STK
2MEL8BL14GEE
3COL9GC15ESS
4CAR10FRE16HAW
5GWS11ADE17NM
6SYD12RIC18WCE

Forward line

RANKTEAMRANKTEAMRANKTEAM
1BL7COL13RIC
2ADE8SYD14STK
3GEE9WB15GC
4GWS10MEL16WCE
5CAR11ESS17FRE
6PA12HAW18NM

Best list: GWS

The Giants are as well balanced across the park as any team in the competition and when looking through their list, there really isn't a weakness at any position. Taylor, Buckley, Himmelberg, and Whitfield lead an elite defence. Tom Green is a Brownlow contender in 2024 and alongside Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio and veteran Callan Ward, they remain a formidable midfield group.

Adam Kingsley is also stacked in front of the big sticks; Jesse Hogan leads the key forwards and they still have No. 1 draft pick Aaron Cadman at their disposal. Captain, and arguably the best player in the competition, Toby Greene only adds to an elite attack which has a host of players running through, namely the ferocious Brent Daniels-Toby Bedford partnership, which took the league by storm in 2023.

There is genuine upside, still, in every spot on the ground, which makes the Giants well positioned for yet another flag tilt.
Funny we were likely wooden spooners this time last year with the same list

Always like to do a bit of a Google news search and see what pops up for us. Good to see us appearing on a range of media websites ahead of opening round.

AFL 2024: GWS plan bolstered by Toby Bedford, Brent Daniels fitness

Teammates say there is better yet to come from a pair who were among the AFL’s most influential players at the end of last season.

GWS vice-captain Josh Kelly is confident the Giants can avoid a trough like the last time they pushed deep into September and says a pair of speedsters entering 2024 off uninterrupted pre-seasons could help them take a step forward.
Half-forward duo Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford both dealt with significant hamstring injuries last season but were still among the Giants’ most important players in their run towards the finals as they embraced Adam Kingsley’s high-octane game plan.

Both were recognised for their impact when they were last week added to the Giants’ second-tier “emerging leaders” group, and Kelly said the ability of both to train fully this pre-season had excited teammates and could help both improve on last year.

Daniels booted 26 goals and finished in the top 10 of the Giants’ best and fairest despite missing five games in the middle of the season with a hamstring injury, while Bedford, in his first season after moving from Melbourne, made a delayed start to the season in round 7 but went on to lay more forward 50 tackles than any other player who played multiple games.

Kelly said he was rapt with the form of the pair heading into Saturday week’s preliminary final rematch against Collingwood.

“They’re in really good nick. Those two players are hugely important to how we play, and they’re hugely talented as well,” Kelly said.

“They’re able to hit the scoreboard, they’re able to defend as well, so they’re a huge part of what we’re trying to do.”

Continues in link.

Last edited:
GWS Giants pre-season news: Harvey Thomas in contention for round 0 debut, Stephen Coniglio’s career-best form

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

27 FEBRUARY 2024

Giants vice-captain Stephen Coniglio believes he is playing the best football of his career under Adam Kingsley as his side finalises its preparation for the 2024 AFL season.

Coniglio returned to form in sparkling fashion last year, posting some of his best numbers across his 12 seasons in the AFL system. He averaged more than 28 disposals and five clearances as the experience in the Giants midfield shone through in their run to the preliminary final.

However, Coniglio credits the feeling that Kingsley has created around the club for ensuring players believe they can contribute without having to look at statistics.

“I think [2023 was] the best in terms of being able to contribute towards the group,” Coniglio said.

“In previous years, I may have had statistically better [seasons], but in terms of output for the team, I’m in the zone at the moment.

“I’m yet to achieve the ultimate success, and I think if I’m being honest, a lot of my early career was around results and winning. What Adam Kingsley has brought in is to try and fall in love with the process.

“The first half of last year, we were losing but we were doing a lot of the right things. His constant messaging was around working on that process and it’ll happen.

“At 29, about to turn 30, it was the one year out of my whole career where I’ve learned the most.”

The Giants will have their final hit out before the season commences against Gold Coast on Thursday. While there were plenty of positive signs in the practice match loss to the Swans last week, Coniglio is hopeful that they can be more clinical with their ball use.

It’s a shorter lead into the season than usual with no week off before the opening round, but the Giants are confident that they can turn that quicker turnaround into positive momentum.

“The Swans were sharp, I think we were pretty sluggish early on in the game,” Coniglio said. “This week, not only training but the game against Gold Coast, we will be sharpening a few things ahead of opening round.

“I know for me, practice games are always harder. It’s a mental challenge sometimes. You want to be ready for the start of the season.

“But for us to be able to continue with momentum, you don’t need a week off. To be able to play two games and go straight into the opening round is perfect preparation.”

Several injury clouds are hanging over the Giants with Isaac Cumming and Harry Perryman out of the clash with Collingwood, while young midfielder Finn Callaghan is racing the clock to be fit.

It means there are many spots up for grabs in their best 23 and Coniglio has been impressed with how his teammates are pushing hard to make the most of that opportunity.

Although some of the names that could come into contention have played in the AFL before, young draftee Harvey Thomas, who was taken at pick 59 last year, has stood out to Coniglio and is making a late charge for a stunning debut.

HARVEY THOMAS - 2023 COATES LEAGUE STATS

Games: 6

Ranking points: 125

Disposals: 21.2

Disposal efficiency: 75.6%

Contested possessions: 8.7

Marks: 4

Clearances: 2.5

Goals: 1.3

Tackles: 6

“If you look at Jacob Wehr, Ryan Angwin, guys that we’ve seen feature before that have played AFL at a really good standard, they’re putting their hands up,” Coniglio said.

“Forward of the ball, there are definitely some options [like] Darcy Jones. But those guys are only probably short-term injuries and we’ll have them back soon.

“The competition [in the squad] and the guys are a year older … they don’t just want to play VFL all the time. That’s healthy competition we’re starting to see in the group.

“At the end of the [Swans practice] game, I spoke to [Harvey] and said, ‘You can play at this level and you’ve shown that.

“Obviously it wasn’t an AFL game but he’s shown enough and he’s only gonna get better for this season and beyond. But yeah, expect a lot of games from him in this Giants top.”

Giants’ best 23 for opening round against Collingwood

B: Connor Idun, Sam Taylor, Jack Buckley

HB: Lachie Whitfield, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Ash

C: Jacob Wehr, Josh Kelly, Finn Callaghan/Ryan Angwin

HF: Toby Greene, Jake Riccardi, Brent Daniels

F: Toby Bedford, Jesse Hogan, Aaron Cadman

Foll: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

I/C: Callum Brown, Callan Ward, Xavier O’Halloran, Darcy Jones, Ryan Angwin/Harvey Thomas

Emerg: Lachie Keeffe, Leek Aleer, Harry Rowston, Toby McMullin

GWS Giants pre-season news: Harvey Thomas in contention for round 0 debut, Stephen Coniglio’s career-best form

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

27 FEBRUARY 2024

Giants vice-captain Stephen Coniglio believes he is playing the best football of his career under Adam Kingsley as his side finalises its preparation for the 2024 AFL season.

Coniglio returned to form in sparkling fashion last year, posting some of his best numbers across his 12 seasons in the AFL system. He averaged more than 28 disposals and five clearances as the experience in the Giants midfield shone through in their run to the preliminary final.

However, Coniglio credits the feeling that Kingsley has created around the club for ensuring players believe they can contribute without having to look at statistics.

“I think [2023 was] the best in terms of being able to contribute towards the group,” Coniglio said.

“In previous years, I may have had statistically better [seasons], but in terms of output for the team, I’m in the zone at the moment.

“I’m yet to achieve the ultimate success, and I think if I’m being honest, a lot of my early career was around results and winning. What Adam Kingsley has brought in is to try and fall in love with the process.

“The first half of last year, we were losing but we were doing a lot of the right things. His constant messaging was around working on that process and it’ll happen.

“At 29, about to turn 30, it was the one year out of my whole career where I’ve learned the most.”

The Giants will have their final hit out before the season commences against Gold Coast on Thursday. While there were plenty of positive signs in the practice match loss to the Swans last week, Coniglio is hopeful that they can be more clinical with their ball use.

It’s a shorter lead into the season than usual with no week off before the opening round, but the Giants are confident that they can turn that quicker turnaround into positive momentum.

“The Swans were sharp, I think we were pretty sluggish early on in the game,” Coniglio said. “This week, not only training but the game against Gold Coast, we will be sharpening a few things ahead of opening round.

“I know for me, practice games are always harder. It’s a mental challenge sometimes. You want to be ready for the start of the season.

“But for us to be able to continue with momentum, you don’t need a week off. To be able to play two games and go straight into the opening round is perfect preparation.”

Several injury clouds are hanging over the Giants with Isaac Cumming and Harry Perryman out of the clash with Collingwood, while young midfielder Finn Callaghan is racing the clock to be fit.

It means there are many spots up for grabs in their best 23 and Coniglio has been impressed with how his teammates are pushing hard to make the most of that opportunity.

Although some of the names that could come into contention have played in the AFL before, young draftee Harvey Thomas, who was taken at pick 59 last year, has stood out to Coniglio and is making a late charge for a stunning debut.

HARVEY THOMAS - 2023 COATES LEAGUE STATS

Games: 6

Ranking points: 125

Disposals: 21.2

Disposal efficiency: 75.6%

Contested possessions: 8.7

Marks: 4

Clearances: 2.5

Goals: 1.3

Tackles: 6

“If you look at Jacob Wehr, Ryan Angwin, guys that we’ve seen feature before that have played AFL at a really good standard, they’re putting their hands up,” Coniglio said.

“Forward of the ball, there are definitely some options [like] Darcy Jones. But those guys are only probably short-term injuries and we’ll have them back soon.

“The competition [in the squad] and the guys are a year older … they don’t just want to play VFL all the time. That’s healthy competition we’re starting to see in the group.

“At the end of the [Swans practice] game, I spoke to [Harvey] and said, ‘You can play at this level and you’ve shown that.

“Obviously it wasn’t an AFL game but he’s shown enough and he’s only gonna get better for this season and beyond. But yeah, expect a lot of games from him in this Giants top.”

Giants’ best 23 for opening round against Collingwood

B: Connor Idun, Sam Taylor, Jack Buckley

HB: Lachie Whitfield, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Ash

C: Jacob Wehr, Josh Kelly, Finn Callaghan/Ryan Angwin

HF: Toby Greene, Jake Riccardi, Brent Daniels

F: Toby Bedford, Jesse Hogan, Aaron Cadman

Foll: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio

I/C: Callum Brown, Callan Ward, Xavier O’Halloran, Darcy Jones, Ryan Angwin/Harvey Thomas

Emerg: Lachie Keeffe, Leek Aleer, Harry Rowston, Toby McMullin
Was super impressed by Thomas in his first game, tough any rookie to contribute but to come in as pick 58 and look like one of the most impactful players on the ground is super impressive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS

The Giants were 15th with four wins halfway through 2023. They finished two points shy of a Grand Final berth and with debutant coach Adam Kingsley taking out the AFL Coaches Association "Coach of the Year" gong. That's some sort of rapid improvement. And clearly huge testament to the effectiveness of Kinglsey's system once his new charges became familiar enough with the playbook. As is the fact GWS got so close despite ranking only mid-table for attack and defence and lower half for clearances, contested ball and forward entries. There's your massive scope for improvement - which was beginning to materialise anyway the longer 2023 went on.

The defence is a tight-knit stingy unit led by keys Sam Taylor and Jack Buckley and the damaging ball use of Lachie Whitfield, and the midfield is a terrific mix of silk, toughness and pure ball-winning ability via Tom Green, Josh Kelly and Stephen Coniglio. The forward 50 is where GWS can most improve its rating, but to that end the 2023 of Jesse Hogan was encouraging, and the emergence of either Jake Riccardi or Aaron Cadman this season would be just added support peerless All-Australian skipper Toby Greene needs.

GWS GIANTS

Tom Green is about to go to another, yes another, level

He played an integral role in the Giants’ surge deep into finals last year, making the All-Australian squad and polling 16 Brownlow votes during a career-best campaign.

But 23-year-old Green appears primed in 2024 to further cement his spot among the AFL’s best midfielders. Green on Thursday night starred in his home city of Canberra, kicking one goal from 31 disposals, 14 contested possessions, nine score involvements, nine clearances and six inside 50s in the Giants’ convincing 44-point Community Series win over Gold Coast. Giants assistant coach Ben Hart said he’d seen Green’s leadership improve significantly over the summer, telling reporters: “I think he’s got a really strong handle on not only what makes him play well but what makes the team play well and voicing it a lot. H’s a good ball-winning midfielder for us, but hopefully we’ll keep adding that little bit of spread … I think he’s set himself well up for the season.”

AFL 2024: Mark Robinson predicts how ladder will look after round 24

Who will be the big movers and sliders this AFL season? Mark Robinson predicts how the ladder will look after round 24. See where your team sits.

Mark Robinson

03 March 2024

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Every team starts the season equal, and full of hope.

But how will things look at the end of August?

Chief football writer Mark Robinson predicts the final ladder, from first to 18th.

1st: Brisbane Lions

2nd: GWS Giants

The Giants combined top-end talent with willing role players and a game style that not only challenged every team in the competition, but was embraced by the players. Adam Kingsley has to take credit for that. Would be a stunning descent if GWS tumbles down the ladder, but with a back six or seven arguably the best in the game, it’s unlikely.

3rd: Collingwood

4th: Port Adelaide

5th: Carlton

6th: Sydney

7th: Melbourne

8th: St Kilda

9th: Adelaide

10th: Gold Coast

11th: Essendon

12th: Geelong

13th: Western Bulldogs

14th: Hawthorn

15th: Fremantle

16th: Richmond

17th: North Melbourne

More Coverage

18th: West Coast

‘We want to be feared’: Why Connor Idun and the Giants believe they can be the number-one defence in the AFL

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

03 MARCH 2024

Giants defender Connor Idun has never been one to forget where he came from.

The 23-year-old has established himself as one of the best one-on-one defenders in the AFL. It’s an unforgiving task at the best of times, but it’s far better than his alternate career path.

“If I didn’t get drafted I’d probably still be working at the fish and chip shop doing not much,” Idun said.

“I was stuffing a few chickens, doing the dishes and stuff. Then I worked at a hardware store as well, putting hay bales in the back of cars.

“So, I’d definitely rather be playing footy.”

Born in London and raised in Geelong, footy was the perfect escape for the athletically-gifted Idun. His work in defence for Vic Country earned plenty of plaudits in the under-18 national championships and he loomed as a promising prospect for the draft.

But as the rounds went by, the versatile key-position player kept waiting for his name to be called. By the time the third round finished, he thought the opportunity might have passed him by.

The Giants traded with St Kilda to move up to pick 61 to select Idun. It was a draft that has proved to be fruitful for GWS as they also added Xavier O’Halloran and Kieren Briggs at picks 22 and 34 respectively.

Idun is forever indebted to the Giants for taking a chance on him, but the fact that so many teams passed on him has given him a point to prove.

“It’s a bit of both,” he said. “I did slide a bit and there are a lot of clubs that didn’t pick me.

“For me mostly it’s repaying the faith that the Giants put into me. I’m living my dream at this club and I’m allowed to be me at the Giants. I love it.”

In his early years, Idun struggled with the transition to professionalism and admits he didn’t make the most of being on an AFL list.

Yet, it’s that journey that has made him the player he is today. Starting as a forward in junior footy, the Giants have moulded him not only into a brilliant defender but also a future captain as part of their leadership group.

“I probably somewhat wasted my first couple of years in the club and took it for granted where I was,” Idun said.

“It was more coaches pulling me back into line because skin folds were pretty high and the two-kilometre (time trial) was not good.

“But a lot of the boys helped me out. Phil Davis, Nick Haynes, those older defenders sort of took me under their wing and they helped grow my confidence. I knew what it took and I put my head down and bum up and had great resources around me.

“I’m so proud of the last four years and what I’ve been able to achieve. But it’s only the tip of the iceberg for me and I’m keen to kick on and continue on this trajectory.”

FORMIDABLE FOES DOWN BACK

While Idun hopes there might be a chance for him to get forward in 2024 – “I try and get Kingers (coach Adam Kingsley) to swing me forward so I can kick a goal, but he’s not having a bar of that,” he said – his clear goal is to help the Giants become the best defence in the AFL.

From round 13 onwards, that’s exactly what they were. The formidable backline led by Idun, Sam Taylor and Jack Buckley was the best team in the competition for points against and points from turnovers.

GWS' DEFENSIVE PROFILE

StatisticRds 1-12RankRds 13-24Rank
Chain to Score Against %23%16th15%1st
Points Against93.615th69.31st
Oppo Score per Inside 50 %50%17th35%1st
Points Against from Turnovers54.015th36.11st

However, they know there is now an expectation to rise to another level this season. The Giants can no longer fly under the radar.

“I guess pressure is a good thing,” Idun said. “If we’re rated as one of the best defences in the league, I guess that’s a compliment to us.

“It’s up to us to keep that mantle and try and be the best defence in the comp. We don’t take that lightly coming up against any forward line. But when people challenge us, it makes us better.”

The beauty of the Giants’ defence is their ability to work as a unit. They’re content for their teammates to have their moments and chip in when required. They also emphasise the importance of celebrating the little wins.

That mindset breeds belief, and Idun’s confidence in his work is sky-high as a result.

“We’re all just proud of each other,” Idun said. “If I see one of the boys take an intercept mark, I’m not going to be jealous. I’m happy with that.

“We’re pretty good at celebrating in the back seven. So a big spoil over the boundary and a couple of yahoos is something I love.

“If you don’t celebrate, it becomes a bit under-appreciated and you take it a bit for granted. We’re all pretty young in that backline. So having fun and working hard, it’s something that just makes the time go quicker.

“I’ve sort of held my own against pretty much every player in the league and I’m pretty confident in my ability to defend one-on-one. That’s my one-wood as a player, that’s what pays the bills.”

The Giants are not just satisfied with improving year on year. Not only do they want to be the best, Kingsley has given them the belief that they can be.

And their opening game of the year against Collingwood can’t come soon enough given the lofty goals Idun has for 2024.

“I want to see a premiership medal, that’s our goal,” Idun said.

“We’re probably not known as the number one backline yet. We need to be more consistent, last year we started the year off slowly as a back seven and that probably hurt us.

“We want to be known as the best and we want to be feared by other teams forwards.”

While Giants boss David Matthews declared his club's hatred of the Magpies, Greene played a straight bat.

"I think he was trying to sell a few tickets," Greene said.

"It is good rivalry though, there'll be a bit of feeling on Saturday night - playing against the best teams always is.

"We want to beat them as much as they want to beat us.

"I can't say I hate them, but I'd love to beat them."

While Giants boss David Matthews declared his club's hatred of the Magpies, Greene played a straight bat.

"I think he was trying to sell a few tickets," Greene said.

"It is good rivalry though, there'll be a bit of feeling on Saturday night - playing against the best teams always is.

"We want to beat them as much as they want to beat us.

"I can't say I hate them, but I'd love to beat them."
I think that's the truth of it there.

All this "we hate Collingwood almost as much as we hate the Swans" stuff is ultimately just an attempt to sell more tickets. The more drama and rivalry they can drum up the more interest it will generate. That's the whole reason behind it.

But if it means filling up Giants Stadium then I don't really mind it.

I think that's the truth of it there.

All this "we hate Collingwood almost as much as we hate the Swans" stuff is ultimately just an attempt to sell more tickets. The more drama and rivalry they can drum up the more interest it will generate. That's the whole reason behind it.

But if it means filling up Giants Stadium then I don't really mind it.

Correct. He said in a subsequent interview he had respect for the Magpies.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back