News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The family tragedy that continues to inspire GWS Giants defender Jack Buckley to make the most of every opportunity

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

13 FEBRUARY 2024

The Giants’ incredible run to the preliminary finals last year meant almost more to Jack Buckley than it did to any of his teammates.

The 26-year-old defender had the best season of his footy career in 2023, playing every game just a year after a devastating ACL injury. Being picked up by the club as a Category B rookie in 2017, he is forever indebted for the support he received from the Giants and his teammates.

But it was in those moments celebrating victories against St Kilda and Port Adelaide that he appreciated just how far he had come.

“The best part of that was when we were playing finals, and won a couple, having my dad, sister and Nan down in the change rooms after,” Buckley said.

“Celebrating with them, we’ve been through it all as a family.

“To have those moments together is something that I’ll never forget.”

The Buckley family has been incredibly close for as long as Jack can remember due to unimaginable heartache early in his life.

Buckley’s mother, Kim, passed away from breast cancer in 2004 when he was just six. She bravely fought a four-year battle after being diagnosed in 2000.

And while she didn’t get to experience those incredible inner sanctum moments that Jack counts among the greatest of his life, he knows she would have been watching on with a smile.

“Certainly, I wish Mum was there,” Buckley said. “But I’m sure she was watching somewhere with a champagne in her hand celebrating as well.

“It’s times like that that make it all worth it and all that time I missed [through injury] is in the rear vision mirror now. Being able to play for a year and win some finals and hopefully win a couple more this year coming, it’s an incredible feeling and I’m so grateful to be in a position to do it.”

Buckley’s memories of his mother are mainly limited to her cancer fight given he was so young. But he continues to build on her legacy and he aims to make her proud every time he steps onto the footy field.

“When I was a kid, I always had a footy in my hand and I always loved playing,” Buckley said.

“I was exposed a lot through my old man but I’m sure she would have seen that with me growing up and how much I loved it, and my dream was to play in the AFL.

“It’s certainly something that’s driven me throughout the years making her proud and also bringing a lot of joy to the rest of the family who get to see me live out my dream as well.

“Being able to bring some sort of positivity to the family through footy is just an incredible feeling.”

Reflecting on those times watching Kim go through chemotherapy and radiotherapy have left a big impression on Buckley. They provided him with that understanding of just how traumatising a battle with cancer can be.

But it’s also inspired him to make the most of his profile as a professional athlete. Buckley has joined forces with the Australian Red Cross Lifeblood and the Cancer Council for their new campaign to “stand up to cancer (while sitting down)”.

More than one-third of all donated blood in Australia is used to treat cancer and blood diseases, and Buckley is trying to spread the message of how easily anyone can make a difference.

Over 10,000 blood donations are required every week to support people living with cancer and Buckley hopes he can help encourage footy fans to get involved.

“It’s certainly something that stitches you and the rest of the family [together],” Buckley said. “And it makes opportunities to spread awareness [important] and feel like you’re not helpless, through donating blood.

“Because it is quite a helpless thing watching someone go through cancer and if donating blood helps one per cent then it’s worth doing. But it’s actually worth a lot more than that because they are the greatest users of blood donation.

“It’s an incredible campaign to hear people’s stories who have been affected by it and I just know I’m not alone. And there are so many people around the country who are living it out right now daily.

“I’ll look to bring as many [teammates] and family to donate with me. I’m sure there are a lot of people who haven’t known the link and want to help in any way possible. So it’s going to have an immense impact on the community.

“I’m glad I can have a bit of a positive impact now on something that has been a negative impact for a long time.”
great article.

Don’t have a subscription so can’t get at it.

GWS breaks membership record, Toby Greene to captain again in 2024

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

16 FEBRUARY 2024

Toby Greene will again lead the Giants in 2024 as the club celebrates a new membership record before a ball has been kicked this season.

On Friday, the Giants announced that they had passed 25,000 members in the quickest time in their history as they look to build on their preliminary final appearance last year. The club reached a new membership record of 33,036 in 2023 and is confident of surpassing that total again.

Greene’s appointment as stand-alone captain marks an unchanged leadership group as they put their faith in the team that led the Giants back to premiership contention.

The 30-year-old had an incredible season in 2023 that saw him finish with a career-high 66 goals, win the club’s Kevin Sheedy Medal, and be named captain of the All-Australian side.

Continuing on this leadership path is something that he’s looking forward to exploring and he believes the Giants can reach new heights this season with a young team by his side.

“It’s a massive honour to continue to lead this footy club,” Greene said.

“I learnt a lot last year with it being my first time as sole captain and I really enjoy the role and everything that comes with it.

“There’s no doubt it took a while for me to get to this point, but I’ve worked a lot on my leadership skills and have come a long way and I love leading this club.”

The talented forward will be joined by Stephen Coniglio and Josh Kelly as vice-captains. Tom Green, Harry Perryman, Sam Taylor and Connor Idun have all retained their roles in the leadership group.

“We are really building a stable core unit of leaders that can take this club forward into what I think is a super exciting time for the club,” Greene said.

“We’ve got a great mix of older guys but also a real variety within the leadership group and I love seeing guys like Tom Green, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun and Harry Perryman continue to become better leaders as it makes the team better and the club as a whole.

“Following off the back end of last year I think the group is in a great spot and we’re all excited for the season to get started in a few weeks.”

Our mate Lachlan is at it again. I tend to click on the link about 10x in 10 seconds, considering all news sites care about these days is 'clicks', I feel I'm doing my bit. Not sure if it even works though 😅. I have screen shotted from my dodgey articles app. I like Matthews indirect shot at Gill there by over praising Dillon, he definitely wasn't a fan.

20240218_103836.jpg 20240218_103912.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS Giants to be without Toby Greene for Sydney Swans practice match due to birth of his first child

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

20 FEBRUARY 2024

The Giants will be without skipper Toby Greene for their first practice match against the Swans on Thursday as he prepares to welcome his first child with his wife, Georgia.

Greene is one of several players unavailable for the clash, with Georgia due to give birth on Thursday.

While he’s happily resigned to watching the replay of the game – “I don’t think [watching the game live] would pass,” he said – the 30-year-old admits the idea of becoming a father for the first time has consumed him this pre-season.

“I haven’t thought too much about the season starting to be honest,” Greene said. “It’s more been the lead-up to having the baby.

“Hopefully, it’s a smooth birth and everyone’s happy and healthy and then can start to think a bit more about round one. But I’m sure the boys will be in good stead on Thursday and starting to play our way.

“I’m still getting my head around it. It’s more nerve-racking for Georgia, that’s for sure. But all good to go on Thursday so hopefully it’s all good.”

The AFL world saw a new side of Greene last year, named All-Australian captain after an inspirational season on the field where he led the Giants to the preliminary final on the back of a career-best 66 goals.

That version of Greene wasn’t a surprise to those who know him best, but while the superstar forward has found comfort in his role at the Giants, he’s looking forward to learning on the fly with fatherhood.

“I’ll be making plenty of phone calls to mum and friends who have had babies and will just go on from there,” Greene said.

“I don’t think I’ve thought about it too much, I’m just taking it in. Once it comes I’m sure it’s going to be a big shock to the system.

“[The balance] will be a little bit harder but a lot of the boys have done it throughout my time in the AFL. It’s something you’ve got to deal with, you might lose a few hours of sleep here or there, but that’s all right.

“I’ve done a full pre-season so the body is good to go, it’s just about managing it when I have to and I’m sure Georgia will be super accommodating as well, she’ll be a super good mum.”

Greene won’t be alone at the Giants either with Stephen Coniglio and Nick Haynes also in the new dad’s club this season – “It’ll be a bit of a different feel to what it has been in the past few years but it will be awesome,” he said.

The Giants are hopeful that Greene will be available to play their final match before the season against Gold Coast in Canberra on February 29. However, that decision is entirely in the captain’s hands.

Thursday’s practice game will be a chance for GWS to have a look at plenty of young talent with Greene adding to a slowly-building list of unavailable players.

Harry Perryman (hamstring) and Isaac Cumming (quad) are both recovering from pre-season injuries that will likely see them miss the opening weeks of the campaign. Finn Callaghan (shoulder) is also in doubt for the season opener against Collingwood.

A bout of glandular fever has kept top Draft pick Phoenix Gothard out of action with the crafty small forward limited to running drills and kicks from the pocket on Tuesday morning. He was joined by fellow draftee James Leake who is on a managed program following a quad strain.

Adam Kennedy is progressing well from the ACL injury he suffered last April but will likely not see any game time for at least another month.

Leek Aleer also had a minor setback during pre-season but has been training strongly with the group. If he does play against the Swans, the 22-year-old is likely to have his minutes managed.

The club have also been forced to look for back-up ruck options with Braydon Preuss set to miss the opening weeks of the season. Aaron Cadman has spent extra time this pre-season with coaches working on his ruck work, while the experienced Lachie Keeffe could be another potential option to work alongside Kieren Briggs.

GWS Giants to be without Toby Greene for Sydney Swans practice match due to birth of his first child

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

CONTENT PRODUCER

20 FEBRUARY 2024

The Giants will be without skipper Toby Greene for their first practice match against the Swans on Thursday as he prepares to welcome his first child with his wife, Georgia.

Greene is one of several players unavailable for the clash, with Georgia due to give birth on Thursday.

While he’s happily resigned to watching the replay of the game – “I don’t think [watching the game live] would pass,” he said – the 30-year-old admits the idea of becoming a father for the first time has consumed him this pre-season.

“I haven’t thought too much about the season starting to be honest,” Greene said. “It’s more been the lead-up to having the baby.

“Hopefully, it’s a smooth birth and everyone’s happy and healthy and then can start to think a bit more about round one. But I’m sure the boys will be in good stead on Thursday and starting to play our way.

“I’m still getting my head around it. It’s more nerve-racking for Georgia, that’s for sure. But all good to go on Thursday so hopefully it’s all good.”

The AFL world saw a new side of Greene last year, named All-Australian captain after an inspirational season on the field where he led the Giants to the preliminary final on the back of a career-best 66 goals.

That version of Greene wasn’t a surprise to those who know him best, but while the superstar forward has found comfort in his role at the Giants, he’s looking forward to learning on the fly with fatherhood.

“I’ll be making plenty of phone calls to mum and friends who have had babies and will just go on from there,” Greene said.

“I don’t think I’ve thought about it too much, I’m just taking it in. Once it comes I’m sure it’s going to be a big shock to the system.

“[The balance] will be a little bit harder but a lot of the boys have done it throughout my time in the AFL. It’s something you’ve got to deal with, you might lose a few hours of sleep here or there, but that’s all right.

“I’ve done a full pre-season so the body is good to go, it’s just about managing it when I have to and I’m sure Georgia will be super accommodating as well, she’ll be a super good mum.”

Greene won’t be alone at the Giants either with Stephen Coniglio and Nick Haynes also in the new dad’s club this season – “It’ll be a bit of a different feel to what it has been in the past few years but it will be awesome,” he said.

The Giants are hopeful that Greene will be available to play their final match before the season against Gold Coast in Canberra on February 29. However, that decision is entirely in the captain’s hands.

Thursday’s practice game will be a chance for GWS to have a look at plenty of young talent with Greene adding to a slowly-building list of unavailable players.

Harry Perryman (hamstring) and Isaac Cumming (quad) are both recovering from pre-season injuries that will likely see them miss the opening weeks of the campaign. Finn Callaghan (shoulder) is also in doubt for the season opener against Collingwood.

A bout of glandular fever has kept top Draft pick Phoenix Gothard out of action with the crafty small forward limited to running drills and kicks from the pocket on Tuesday morning. He was joined by fellow draftee James Leake who is on a managed program following a quad strain.

Adam Kennedy is progressing well from the ACL injury he suffered last April but will likely not see any game time for at least another month.

Leek Aleer also had a minor setback during pre-season but has been training strongly with the group. If he does play against the Swans, the 22-year-old is likely to have his minutes managed.

The club have also been forced to look for back-up ruck options with Braydon Preuss set to miss the opening weeks of the season. Aaron Cadman has spent extra time this pre-season with coaches working on his ruck work, while the experienced Lachie Keeffe could be another potential option to work alongside Kieren Briggs.
I’d pull Cogs, Kelly, Ward and Whitters out after the first half. Availability is the best ability.

From The Guardian:

Perhaps we could have found another sponsor...
The Victorian clubs lap up the money from the AFLs gambling.

And on top of that the fast food and alcohol sponsorships.

Their moral high ground is shaky, if not non existent.

The Tab saga continues to upset some folks..

Don't the raiders make all their money off pokies? How's the biased commentary from these journos with an agenda.
Pocock used to play union for the Brumbies. Anyone able to dig up any comments he made about that weird green patch directly below the neck of their jerseys:

ray-white-brumbies-1200x630.png

News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back