News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Pocock used to play union for the Brumbies. Anyone able to dig up any comments he made about that weird green patch directly below the neck of their jerseys:

ray-white-brumbies-1200x630.png

Post the photo in his comments section if you have Twitter. Raiders and brumbies get government funding annually too. The double standards are extraordinary.

Post the photo in his comments section if you have Twitter. Raiders and brumbies get government funding annually too. The double standards are extraordinary.
Major partner of the Raiders : Palmer Bet

1708556064749.png

Pocock used to play union for the Brumbies. Anyone able to dig up any comments he made about that weird green patch directly below the neck of their jerseys:

ray-white-brumbies-1200x630.png
In his defence, he has been very consistent with his views on this stuff and at times to his detriment. (not just gambling, but social issues in general)
he is a man of his principals (not all of which I agree with), but unlike most, he is not hypercritical.

In his defence, he has been very consistent with his views on this stuff and at times to his detriment. (not just gambling, but social issues in general)
he is a man of his principals (not all of which I agree with), but unlike most, he is not hypercritical.
I don't mind him but I do find it funny that we're being singled out.

He hasn’t though.
Has he gone off on pokies? Or the NrL and other sports or just at the Giants?

He is very hypocritical.

He hasn’t though.

He is very hypocritical.
Yeah we're just the next people that have popped up with a gambling partnership, I'm sure he'll have a crack at whoever does it next as well. He's consistent if anything.

He hasn’t though.

He is very hypocritical.
yes.
He has been consistently anti gambling advertising. (and stacks of other things)
Spoke out against it with rugby.
Did a whole thing about Sport being too reliant on the Gambling dollar

yes.
He has been consistently anti gambling advertising. (and stacks of other things)
Spoke out against it with rugby.
Did a whole thing about Sport being too reliant on the Gambling dollar
Literally wore jerseys with tab and other betting sponsorship.
Haven’t seen him go after leagues clubs.

Rather picky and choosy with his moral outrage.

Betting doesn’t target children, fast food does.

Guess what’s a major killer and issue in our country? Obesity and heart disease.

Yet we complain about gambling advertising.

They bring up a happy bet targeted at kids then you will see me bag them. Otherwise they are a legal pastime promoting a business.

Literally wore jerseys with tab and other betting sponsorship.
Haven’t seen him go after leagues clubs.

Rather picky and choosy with his moral outrage.

Betting doesn’t target children, fast food does.

Guess what’s a major killer and issue in our country? Obesity and heart disease.

Yet we complain about gambling advertising.

They bring up a happy bet targeted at kids then you will see me bag them. Otherwise they are a legal pastime promoting a business.
I'm not saying I necessarily agree with his stance. He has definitely attacked other codes and been vocal since his retirement.
He has also knocked a lucrative OS contract on some moral ground. Can't remember the details, but think it was environmental.
If you feel strongly about one social issue it doesn't mean you have to feel strongly about all social issues.
Pocock is anti gambling and consistently so.

The whole ‘outrage’ over GWS having a ‘gambling problem’ seems to me to be largely confected.

Let’s look at what ‘Head Office’ (AFL) is doing and how one can easily find fault:
  • Premier Partner: Toyota. Global warming (‘Just stop oil’/Extinction Rebellion)
  • Major Partner: Carlton Draught. Alcohol (drinking culture)
  • Major Partner: Continental Tyres. Global warming (‘Just stop oil’/Extinction Rebellion)
  • Major Partner: Sportsbet. Gambling
  • Major Partner: McDonalds. Adult and childhood obesity
  • Official Partner: BWS. Alcohol (drinking culture)
  • Official Partner: Shell. Global warming (‘Just stop oil’/Extinction Rebellion)
Then there’s our cross-town rivals:
  • Major Partner: Volkswagen. Global warming (‘Just stop oil’/Extinction Rebellion)
  • Premier Partner: Qatar Airways. Owned by the Government of Qatar. From Wikipedia (apologies for quick reference): “Sexual acts between males are illegal in Qatar, with punishment for both Muslims and non-Muslims of up to three years in prison. For Muslims duly convicted in the sharia courts, a judicial sentence of capital punishment for homosexuality is a possibility, though it has never been imposed”.
1708601365222.png

And the AFL’s ‘biggest’ club:
  • Premier Partner: KFC. Adult and childhood obesity
  • Premier Partner: Emirates (Airways). Owned by the Government of Dubai (United Arab Emirates). From Wikipedia: “Homosexuality is illegal in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and under the federal criminal provisions, consensual same-sex sexual activity is punishable by imprisonment”.
1708601394673.png

* Platinum Partner: Carlton Draught. Alcohol (drinking culture)

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with his stance. He has definitely attacked other codes and been vocal since his retirement.
He has also knocked a lucrative OS contract on some moral ground. Can't remember the details, but think it was environmental.
If you feel strongly about one social issue it doesn't mean you have to feel strongly about all social issues.
Pocock is anti gambling and consistently so.
His moral bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

Politicians and the sporting industry are all sucking on the teet of gambling agencies. It is a disgrace.
Kids are exposed to it all the time.
So why pick one moral outrage?
Exposed yes. Targeted?
Would think things such as fast food, alcohol and a few others target children a lot more than gambling.

Is the “in thing” to have a go at betting. Amusing really in the grand scheme

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The criticism reported in the Guardian is coming specifically from the ACT government, who sponsor the Giants themselves, and who are noted as being in the process of trying to limit sports betting advertising in the ACT.

One can imagine the club they sponsor doing sponsored content for a sports betting company, likely while wearing the guernsey literally featuring the ACT government's sponsor mark on it, might not sit particularly well with them.

It's also coming specifically from the ACT Greens leader and attorney general, which is a party which has persistently been pushing anti-gambling policies in the ACT for the 12 years they've held a junior governing role, especially pokies license reductions and harm minimisation measures. Again, not surprising that they're specifically critical of the stuff the ACT government is directly linked to.

So why pick one moral outrage?
Exposed yes. Targeted?
Would think things such as fast food, alcohol and a few others target children a lot more than gambling.

Is the “in thing” to have a go at betting. Amusing really in the grand scheme
I don’t think it’s amusing when I see the damage it does to individuals and families.

That isn’t amusing but that’s on the people who did it.

I don’t blame the car maker for a reckless driver.
If the car makers set out to make driving addictive and doing it had ruinous side effects, I would take a long hard look at the car companies too. There is a big degree of intent that is making a lot of gambling companies just as culpable as smoking companies were previously.

News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back