Preview Round 8: Essendon vs West Coast, Data Breach Stadium, Saturday 4th May, 8:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next month is vital. 3 games we should win (WC, North and Richmond) and home vs the Giants, where we'll be underdogs but a chance. If we're 7-3-1 we will need 6 more wins to make the 8 with games against GC x2, Carlton, WC (H), Adelaide (H), Collingwood, St Kilda, Freo (H) to come as winnable games and maybe an upset or two along the way

Not only is Yeo in ripping form, it's his 200th this week.

Will need to clamp down on his influence. Maybe another job for Durham
He had his down game yesterday with only 18 touches - I should know as I only needed 20 from him for a multi to come good.

From what I watched (not heaps) he had Rowell going head to head with him so we just need someone to limit his movement in and away from the contest. Maybe send Caldwell to him, Duz to Kelly.

I have a bad feeling Weideman will be in the mix.

In any case Lav looks out of his depth every week and gives away dumb free kicks cos of it. Might get another week. Hoping he can turn form around. If Heppell can, anyone can.

Can't afford to carry Davey (1 touch in 3 quarters) but will be a player IMO.

Guelf for Davey, Shiel for Hind and sub for me.
Laverde has given away 2 free kicks for the whole season.

Im happy for him to be dropped for hayes as I think Hayes is ready and Lav should be depth by the end of the season, but I feel like him (and kelly) get judged for their whole game based on their poor decision making with ball in hand.
At end of day they are there for their defensive ability and both are holding up that end of the bargain, Lav generally has to play against guys taller/bigger than him but does a manful job and is only there at the moment because reid and ridley are both injured.

Last edited:

Im happy for him to be dropped for hayes as I think Hayes is ready and Lav should be depth by the end of the season, but I feel like him (kelly) get judged for their whole game based on their poor decision making with ball in hand.
At end of day they are there for their defensive ability and both are holding up that end of the bargain, Lav generally has to play against guys taller/bigger than him but does a manful job and is only there at the moment because reid and ridley are both injured.

Mistakes also get amplified when you're playing last line of defence.

No one really remembers when Merrett miskicks through the middle, or that Langford has given away 7 frees compared to Kelly and Laverde's 3

The Last Time We Met

Oh * this game.. One of the worst wins we’ve had in recent history.. Yeah, you read that correctly. We won by a point against one of the worst-performing teams in recent history who didn’t really want to actually win. We were nearly so s**t that we countered tanking - We are an anti-tank weapon! Gold Coast are lucky they didn’t play us instead of North on that fateful Saturday last August.
H555XXtrLDWVycHCZziS2xqU0RNsV05A9ByU_-coP7f_rfzSATzjBtXs459LQkqbhqaUh_K4eAQrZaIpy2k_WDKrAMmbpyDkLIKFvPD3si41V1QJiK-UYUJWvUi3JxXUwnB4JfSmrIwRH1n7St7OaU8

ESSENDON 1.6 7.8 8.10 10.13 (73)
WEST COAST 2.2 4.3 6.5 11.6 (72)

Haha, contrarily, it was the best loss in recent history for us, imagine costing us Harley, the stuff of nightmares!

Pumped for Saturday night at Optus Stadium, always heightened stakes when we play each other, so much history. Looking forward to hopefully a good game and no injuries.

Im happy for him to be dropped for hayes as I think Hayes is ready and Lav should be depth by the end of the season, but I feel like him (kelly) get judged for their whole game based on their poor decision making with ball in hand.
Fair point, I am probably too harsh.

JUH did beat him fairly easy though but in fairness will beat many to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had his down game yesterday with only 18 touches - I should know as I only needed 20 from him for a multi to come good.

From what I watched (not heaps) he had Rowell going head to head with him so we just need someone to limit his movement in and away from the contest. Maybe send Caldwell to him, Duz to Kelly.
Ugh. I forgot Kelly exists.

Im happy for him to be dropped for hayes as I think Hayes is ready and Lav should be depth by the end of the season, but I feel like him (and kelly) get judged for their whole game based on their poor decision making with ball in hand.
Hard to give away a free kick if you're man isn't next to you 🤷

Next month is vital. 3 games we should win (WC, North and Richmond) and home vs the Giants, where we'll be underdogs but a chance. If we're 7-3-1 we will need 6 more wins to make the 8 with games against GC x2, Carlton, WC (H), Adelaide (H), Collingwood, St Kilda, Freo (H) to come as winnable games and maybe an upset or two along the way
Now you have gone and done it.

Now you have gone and done it.
Need to state it. I said in pre-season that if we're 3-4 after 7 we're a chance. We're 4-2-1. Need to consolidate.

Now it's there in front of me like that, there is no way we don't play finals. UNLESS.
I can convince Mrs Sober that losing our first 2 houses was just bad luck. I could be holding our entire season with my decision.

We haven't played the greatest of football but still 4 and 2, with expected improvement we' re on the right path.

There's something to not taking Heppell and Goldy over there. No VFL, so resting them for younger players, even as sub, doesn't harshly impact their development.

There's something to not taking Heppell and Goldy over there. No VFL, so resting them for younger players, even as sub, doesn't harshly impact their development.

Surely Goldy doesn't want to cram his legs in to an airplane for a Perth trip. Give the big lad a weekend off with the kids. Let Dys microwave himself a nice steak at home.

I actually think Kelly has had some very good moments this season. His best in Essendon colours in my opinion.

Kelly, Yeo, Reid, Ginbey is a decent midfield, wouldn't want to sleep on Yeo and Kelly Essington style
Essington style sees us go "it's only WCE, we'll be right". Trying to limit the impact of their midfield by sitting on whoever (I'll let the coaching staff decide) is almost un-Essington.

Essington style sees us go "it's only WCE, we'll be right". Trying to limit the impact of their midfield by sitting on whoever (I'll let the coaching staff decide) is almost un-Essington.
I semi want us to take the "essendon edge" concept to next level with the whole mid group targetting Reid from first bounce, I dont think thats a Scott move though (even though he enjoyed doing that as a player)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back