Preview Round 4: Essendon vs Port Adelaide, Adelaide Oval, Friday 5/04/24 @ 8:10 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their forward line is very dangerous. Dixon can get a hold of us, as can Marshall. Really gonna miss Reid this week on Marshall imo.
Finlayson always cuts us apart as well.

Their forward line is very dangerous. Dixon can get a hold of us, as can Marshall. Really gonna miss Reid this week on Marshall imo.
Reid would be handy.

Not sure Lav can really go with Marshall or Finlayson. He looked very slow yesterday v. Membrey and Owens. He’s probably better off playing undersized on Dixon.

If my boy, Lewis Hayes, can have a strong VFL performance he might be a sneaky chance as we will be in desperate need of height.

7 losses in a row versus the prison bar wannabes. We should match up well against the midfield group, they might have a little more class but the size goes well h2h.

The Power fwds could take a hold of us (Charlie, Marshall, Georgiades a possible to come in if Finlayson is dropped) and the runners /n kickers Port possess could also trouble us. Don't be sad, they are gettable

Watched all of 10 minutes last night but it was enough to see 3 off the ball cheap shots by Rioli. w***er.
If Rioli gets time out, that could mean they'll be without him, JHF and SPP. They might also rest Boak who copped a heavy hit but passed a concussion test.

If Hinkley insists on playing Bergman on a wing we might be able to expose him. Duursma to Berger's wing please. Dixon is vulnerable. Maybe nearly cooked (?). I reckon McKay will have him on toast.

What I think the changes will be:
OUT - Durham
IN - Setterfield

What I'd like the changes to be:
OUT - Durham (concussion); Laverde (slow); Kelly (spud); Menzies (passenger)
IN - Setterfield; Hayes; Ridley; A.Davey

What I think the changes will be:
OUT - Durham
IN - Setterfield

What I'd like the changes to be:
OUT - Durham (concussion); Laverde (slow); Kelly (spud); Menzies (passenger)
IN - Setterfield; Hayes; Ridley; A.Davey
A Davey ? ran around like a sheep dog all day on the outside of the contest yesterday.

If Rioli gets time out, that could mean they'll be without him, JHF and SPP. They might also rest Boak who copped a heavy hit but passed a concussion test.

If Hinkley insists on playing Bergman on a wing we might be able to expose him. Duursma to Berger's wing please. Dixon is vulnerable. Maybe nearly cooked (?). I reckon McKay will have him on toast.
Rioli did nothing suspension worthy but did run around like a snipey campaigner all night.
Need to make sure we dont get sucked in by any of it.

Mckay should have dixon covered.
Hayes to marshall is risky but might be worth looking at.

Issue will be houston, farrell and their midfield slingshotting. They got the dees a few times on sat and the saving grace for melbourne was an inspired Gawn performance and Brown, JVR and fritsch stretching them a bit. Esava had a mare.

7 losses in a row versus the prison bar wannabes. We should match up well against the midfield group, they might have a little more class but the size goes well h2h.

The Power fwds could take a hold of us (Charlie, Marshall, Georgiades a possible to come in if Finlayson is dropped) and the runners /n kickers Port possess could also trouble us. Don't be sad, they are gettable
Last 2 against them were less than a goal iirc, one of them Rioli knocked Ridley out off the ball halfway through the 2nd qtr while we were 20 points up. The other was the Houston goal after the siren (i also got pooed on by like 10 seagulls on my favourite jacket that night).

Friday night marquee Gather Round match, this is the type of game Port routinely shit the bed in. That being said, in the metric of 'expected score' we've lost every game so far this year. If they kick straight they could put us to bed early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last 2 against them were less than a goal iirc, one of them Rioli knocked Ridley out off the ball halfway through the 2nd qtr while we were 20 points up. The other was the Houston goal after the siren (i also got pooed on by like 10 seagulls on my favourite jacket that night).

Friday night marquee Gather Round match, this is the type of game Port routinely s**t the bed in. That being said, in the metric of 'expected score' we've lost every game so far this year. If they kick straight they could put us to bed early.
Expected score is rubbish. We are more likely to score and get territory from a center bounce and we suck at bringing the ball out of defense. So every behind they kick isn't a potential goal missed, it's a chance to generate extra behinds until it's reset in our favor. If they kick more goals we likely kick more goals too.

Expected score is rubbish. We are more likely to score and get territory from a center bounce and we suck at bringing the ball out of defense. So every behind they kick isn't a potential goal missed, it's a chance to generate extra behinds until it's reset in our favor. If they kick more goals we likely kick more goals too.
You're right, it shouldn't be used as a metric to diminish our wins, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's rubbish - it's a good indicator for scoring opportunities generated, and there's been probably about 1 quarter per game this year where we've been quite shambolic and benefited greatly from inaccuracy.

Will assume setterfield is ok

In: setterfield, tsatas
Out: durham, menzie

Heppell - mckay - mcgrath
Redman - Laverde - martin
Kelly - setterfield - duursma
Langford- jones - caldwell
Gresham - draper - stringer
Goldy - parish - merrett
Hobbs - perkins - tsatas - cox
Sub: hind

Did he kick any?

...and is you non-comment on Hayes tacit agreement that Hayes should get the nod?
You do know you can actually click on the VFL match center ?

As for Hayes. Played well. He could come in but I suspect Ridley will.

Will assume setterfield is ok

In: setterfield, tsatas
Out: durham, menzie

Heppell - mckay - mcgrath
Redman - Laverde - martin
Kelly - setterfield - duursma
Langford- jones - caldwell
Gresham - draper - stringer
Goldy - parish - merrett
Hobbs - perkins - tsatas - cox
Sub: hind
Not for me on Tsatas . He has to replicate what he was working on yesterday for at least 3 or 4 weeks.
Menzie may not be having a lot of scoreboard / offensive impact but he has been doing the hard yards trying to create a contest and chase from defense. No way you drop him for a bloke who has done it for 1 week in the VFL.

Not for me on Tsatas . He has to replicate what he was working on yesterday for at least 3 or 4 weeks.
Menzie may not be having a lot of scoreboard / offensive impact but he has been doing the hard yards trying to create a contest and chase from defense. No way you drop him for a bloke who has done it for 1 week in the VFL.
I only call him up as I want caldwell to play more HF/mid.
and tbh, i want tsatas being told to do it afl level. Needs to learn the additional pressure that comes along with being in the side and to rise to it.

Suspect Scott is on the same page as you though

I only call him up as I want caldwell to play more HF/mid.
and tbh, i want tsatas being told to do it afl level. Needs to learn the additional pressure that comes along with being in the side and to rise to it.

Suspect Scott is on the same page as you though

Tsatas can't play as a full-time mid in the AFL side, so either he's playing out of position or we get him a good block in the VFL as a genuine midfielder working on his clearance and defensive craft and hopefully see him start to really dominate through there.

We don't really need another mid rotating through HF right now with all of Perkins, Hobbs and Caldwell spending time through there and despite the wing giving him nice GPS numbers I don't think it's a useful long-term investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back