Society/Culture Elon Musk - Takeover of Twitter?

Remove this Banner Ad

I quite like the idea that anyone who becomes a member of parliament's assets are seized and provided monetary valuation on all of it (all of it, from their car to their welcome mat to their pillow sheets) once becoming elected and the degree to which the government succeeds or fails in terms of growth/GDP is reflected in their assets when they leave. That way, the only way to leave government is better off than when you entered.
I would prefer limited terms for anyone in Govt AND the complete banning of lobbyists.

I don't disagree with your view. But the problem comes with something like COVID, what makes them want to protect people when it might impact the economy and make them lose their assets.
You're still going to get idealists entering politics, but you're unlikely to get the kind of scheming pragmatists that infect our political landscape at present. You're also going to get leaders that want to do the right thing at all times, because if - say - a disaster that affects the government strikes they're going to want there to be low income protections and free healthcare because they personally are at risk.
Id like to see the creation and management of infrastructure removed from the day to day operation of the Govt and, somehow seperated into a bi partisan model.

No idea how it would work, but importantly i want pork barrelling removed.

On healthcare, honeslty we need a Govt to hold a plebiscite, simple question should health care be free.

I know it wins and we should raise taxes accordingly....however somehow they need to manage that risk.

Rich people who control media and social media have spent decades telling us that.
the rich people who control social media & media (newscorp) telling us that government having a say in the media is bad is such an ironically funny contention

Now he wants a 56 Billion dollar handshake from Tesla. Not sure the obsession with super rich people, wanting to hoard ridiculous wealth when they already have assets worth billions. He will only piss it away on his next play thing, probably try buy influence somewhere. Glad some of the major shareholders are pushing back and telling him to get f**ked.

The worst thing is, they have sacked 14,000 people. I'd rather see 56 billion put towards the workers, who actually DO the hard work that makes the company money, not rich shareholders sitting at home doing nothing (not talking about mum and dad investors who make little), or "CEOS" who really do nothing but point fingers for a couple of years, then cash out on a multi million dollar hand shake deal and retire. Musk is nothing but a grifter, buys something, pretends to know something about it, sacks people he doesn't like, takes credit for the work of others, asks other people for money, then cashes out. Rinse and repeat.

Guy tries so hard to be seen as Clark Kent, but really he is just Lex Luther.

Still can't believe those who support him cannot see how thin skinned and temperamental he is. Plus the fact he is a mass hypocrite. Champions "free speech", but all he does is block people who calls out his poor behavior. Allows conspiracy whack jobs and nazis a greater platform to spread their lies and hate, but blocks those who stand up agasint them. Anyone who has been around him or worked under him, has not had anything nice to say. That is all you need to know about a person. A red flag to me, even if every day life if I come across someone who not one person had a nice thing to say. But unless you're a celebrity, people for some reason are happy to over look it all.

Anyone who says Twitter is so much better these days is in denial. I have never had to many fake accounts sending me requests in my life. I have never seen so many bots spamming every post with unrelated comments to the content listed. Never seen algorithms expose me to content I hate (such as those pushing conspiracies, and hate towards all minorities), basically the opposite of what I believe in. Every comment section is high jacked by mostly angry conservatives spitting toxic behavior behind the safety of their keyboard and anonymous accounts.

Blue Checks are all about money and not a sign of a genuine account. So many blue checks have been bought up by spammers. But anything for a buck hey Elon? Russia has been found to be trying to influence the upcoming election, by creating many fake misinformation accounts. They are so desperate for Trump to come in, and turn the USA on NATO and Ukraine. But of course Elon won't do a thing. I thought righties hated Commies? All a suddenly they are licking Putins boots. Have seen plenty of people complain on reddit etc, how they have been exposed to questionable material etc as well. Yep, Twitter is f**king amazing hey?

The guy bought out one of the most successful and popular things, and turned it into a personal play thing, and ripping down all the walls, seeing its value and populatory plummet to all time low. In fact, most of the users are probably fake accounts.

Last edited:
I trust Elon and Murdoch even less than I trust politicians.
He spent time with Rupert. Probably got a masterclass in advice on how to use his platform to manipulate news, and society in general. Even if you have to make s**t up.

Waiting for the headline about some stairs. JOE BIDEN TRIPPED OVER THESE STAIRS, BETTER NOT VOTE FOR HIM. Worked so well for the Victorian election.

Last edited:
I would prefer limited terms for anyone in Govt AND the complete banning of lobbyists.

I don't disagree with your view. But the problem comes with something like COVID, what makes them want to protect people when it might impact the economy and make them lose their assets.

Id like to see the creation and management of infrastructure removed from the day to day operation of the Govt and, somehow seperated into a bi partisan model.

No idea how it would work, but importantly i want pork barrelling removed.

On healthcare, honeslty we need a Govt to hold a plebiscite, simple question should health care be free.

I know it wins and we should raise taxes accordingly....however somehow they need to manage that risk.
We're taxed plenty. Enough to fund our needs 10x over if we had competent leaders

We do not need more tax, we need effective spending.

We're taxed plenty. Enough to fund our needs 10x over if we had competent leaders

We do not need more tax, we need effective spending.
companies used to pay more tax then individuals

that's shifted

add to that the flattening of the tax system and the burden for funding things falls on the middle

our tax system needs a complete overhaul but its not going to happen

you and I might pay plenty of tax but the people at the top don't and they tend to also get the most subsidy out of governments as well

companies used to pay more tax then individuals

that's shifted

add to that the flattening of the tax system and the burden for funding things falls on the middle

our tax system needs a complete overhaul but its not going to happen

you and I might pay plenty of tax but the people at the top don't and they tend to also get the most subsidy out of governments as well
Yep, fair. Whenever I hear raise taxes, I know it'll be us rather than companies so I'm against it

It does need a complete overhaul but with the amount of waste I also don't really blame people dodging tax when they completely disagree with where it's spent. Can't see it ever improving sadly

What are the numbers on this? What is the 90% you think is wasted by incompetence?
I work in Infrastructure & Transport. You could walk through this 12 story building sacking 50% of admin staff at random and no loss to works would be lost. Multiply this over the public sector (not health which in my decades experience there is staffed fairly or slightly under) and its billions wasted already

A family friend is a paver and fixed a council path, charging them 2 days pay for 4 hours work. The council were over the moon with this as it saved them 5 figures compared to usual. Fix the rip offs

Fix 'consultancy' to government wasting billions every year

180m just got spent on a firearms registry I saw in another thread here. How in gods name does it cost that?!

Close tax loopholes to the church/multinationals and there's several billion there too. Too hard for our incompetent leaders

You'd have to have room temperature IQ to think things are well run and efficient

I work in Infrastructure & Transport. You could walk through this 12 story building sacking 50% of admin staff at random and no loss to works would be lost.
That sounds like you walking around not knowing what half the people do, though.

If you have that time in the day then is your job needed?

Imagine arguing there isn't public service waste ffs. You'd be the only one in the country who believes this but you couldn't be that stupid, you're just arguing for the sake of it

And no, this place is horrifically overstaffed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine arguing there isn't public service waste ffs.
Oh my God.

That's not the argument.

The QUESTION is "How do you support your argument that 90% of tax money is wasted?"

The claim that "we could fund everything ten times over" is essentially that 90% is wasted.

It COULD be the start of a discussion on government waste.

So, AGAIN, what is your data for that claim?

One anecdote from you that half the people you work with should be sacked isn't great.

Oh my God.

That's not the argument.

The QUESTION is "How do you support your argument that 90% of tax money is wasted?"

The claim that "we could fund everything ten times over" is essentially that 90% is wasted.

It COULD be the start of a discussion on government waste.

So, AGAIN, what is your data for that claim?

One anecdote from you that half the people you work with should be sacked isn't great.
It was multiple examples and you focused on one to argue for the sake of it you clown

It was multiple examples and you focused on one to argue for the sake of it you clown
Oh FFS.

Go away you dickhead.

Your argument from incredulity is fallacious.

I work in Infrastructure & Transport. You could walk through this 12 story building sacking 50% of admin staff at random and no loss to works would be lost. Multiply this over the public sector (not health which in my decades experience there is staffed fairly or slightly under) and its billions wasted already

Personal anecdote. Not data.

A family friend is a paver and fixed a council path, charging them 2 days pay for 4 hours work. The council were over the moon with this as it saved them 5 figures compared to usual. Fix the rip offs

Anecdote, not data.

Fix 'consultancy' to government wasting billions every year

General argument maybe worth persuing.

180m just got spent on a firearms registry I saw in another thread here. How in gods name does it cost that?!

Argument from incredulity. Not data.

How much does it cost other jurisdictions? What's the breakup?

Close tax loopholes to the church/multinationals and there's several billion there too. Too hard for our incompetent leaders

That's a tax increase which you said we don't need.

You'd have to have room temperature IQ to think things are well run and efficient

Your claim was 90% wasted. Now it's moved goalposts to "not well run and efficient".

You get slight pushback and you melt.

Imagine arguing there isn't public service waste ffs. You'd be the only one in the country who believes this but you couldn't be that stupid, you're just arguing for the sake of it

And no, this place is horrifically overstaffed
I'm not disagreeing with you. But it does remind me of a David Mitchell rant

I reckon we could cut a heap of the red-tape and bureaucracy in accessing centrelink payments and redirect those staff resources elsewhere.

Let the poor folk get access to their < $1000 per fortnight JobSeeker payments when they need it, the small handful intent on ripping off the system for their below minimum wage payments will mostly get picked up by the ATO later anyway.

I am still laughing at the idea that removing a video of a violent crime is the slippery slope into fascism

And that Elon Musk is the guy standing against fascism is even more laughable

Musk who boosts fascists on his platform, who censors anything that personally offends him

that encourages people to support far right politicians that actually want to enact fascist laws

you think he's the guy saving the world

lol

as mentioned in the age article above, social media platforms regularly remove videos of violent acts, because funnily enough their advertisers and users don't like having their news feed full of that stuff and these platforms largely exist to make money

they aren't bastions of truth or freedom, they're content machines that rely on people spending their time interacting

twitter is now a complete dumspter fire because Musk is running it

What I got from this post .. you are standing there watching the first Jew be sent to the gas chamber and you say "I am still laughing at the idea 6 million Jews will be killed in the holocaust LOL."

Your inability to extrapolate anything to the future is incredible and frankly concerning

Look I may have an example you may understand. You are driving home from work. You see a sign saying "KFC Chicken 20 pieces for $20"

Your first reaction is to say "OMG yummy I'm gonna eat 20 pieces of KFC every night!!!"

Later you start to think ... um IF I eat a billion calories of KFC per day I gonna get real fat

What I got from this post .. you are standing there watching the first Jew be sent to the gas chamber and you say "I am still laughing at the idea 6 million Jews will be killed in the holocaust LOL."
You equate removal of a video with murder?

You equate removal of a video with murder?

I'm commenting on a lack of ability to see something happening today and extrapolate that to work out what might happen tomorrow and tne day after

It's one of the key aspects of the frontal lobe expanding in evolution

I'm commenting on a lack of ability to see something happening today and extrapolate that to work out what might happen tomorrow and tne day after

It's one of the key aspects of the frontal lobe expanding in evolution
I think your frontal lobe might need a bit more expanding :tearsofjoy:

Coming across as a little hysterical here mate. Something tells me you would have been on the "masks and checkins everywhere forever" wagon during covid, just a wild guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back