Richmond off field thread

Remove this Banner Ad

great thread I have been thinking of creating myself

our mishandling of succession planning has been just as remarkable as the story of our rise itself

I feel from our peak sometime in 2019, the rot started with three things in 2020

1. Covid resulting in soft caps being introduced to footy departments (diminishing our peerless off-field set-up)
2. Dimma's off-field shenanigans sowing division and & illuminating hypocrisy in our "family, kumbaya" culture
3. deteriorating relationship with the AFL due to perceived club behaviour in hubs (expedited our on-field drop-off)

The on-field drop-off was always going to come, but the off-field immolation has been both devastating & spectacular

Now we are a bloated carcass with all our A-Grade off-field talent at other clubs (Dimma, soon Gale, Emma Murray, Mcrae, Leppa, Kingsley et al.)

Of course we were never going to keep everyone, nor have these operators forever. But our inability to replace like-for-like is in stark contrast to other powerful clubs, namely the Pies & the Cats, as much we hate to admit it
I think the impact of Dimma marriage split on playing group always was questionable, when any player that fell out of contract re signed and now we’re hearing interest re several players that’d be keen to join him
I think his motives on leaving town where to get some clean air for his relationship and put some space between his family ,,, our club was the collateral damage in that

At the end of the day , it’s the evolution of our list that has us where we are , we’ve lost generational stars and are nowhere near replacing them , fat lot of good a new ceo will do about that

More focus on Blair Hartley next move than anything else right now , it will be the cornerstone to our fortunes , one way or the other

in 2004 we were in a bad place and rocked up to Draft night with an impressive fist full of picks
hoping they would pave a path to the promised land , as we all too well know , we fell flat on our faces

roll forward to 2024 and we currently have
1720061476239.png
plus we might get more picks thru the departure of players

plus we might get pick upgrades thru bundling and trading picks to father son clubs or academy clubs

lets sincerely hope we do a lot better

I think the impact of Dimma marriage split on playing group always was questionable, when any player that fell out of contract re signed and now we’re hearing interest re several players that’d be keen to join him
I think his motives on leaving town where to get some clean air for his relationship and put some space between his family ,,, our club was the collateral damage in that

At the end of the day , it’s the evolution of our list that has us where we are , we’ve lost generational stars and are nowhere near replacing them , fat lot of good a new ceo will do about that

More focus on Blair Hartley next move than anything else right now , it will be the cornerstone to our fortunes , one way or the other

at a minimum it drew a wedge between Dimma & Cotchin

just maybe, it was emblematic of a bit of hubris seeping into the club

Peggy - gone
Mcrae- gone
Leppa - gone
Caracella - gone
Dimma - gone
Jack - gone
Cotch - gone
Burge - gone
Benny - going
Balme- going
Clarke- going

How's our club recruitment going? Feel like everyone was poached and we're a sinking ship. Now they're coming for whatever players we have left.
Massive changes, end of the era.

O'Neal to O'Rourke smooth transition. Lost most of the assistants due to COVID soft cap reduced by the 100K

Club has huge membership & making 2 $ mill profit.

Qn. mark still over JDS rebuild. How much debt to go into. I guess thats for the club & new CEO

Burge needs a better replacement.

I don't think Gale's replacement is as critical as he was when he joined.

Massive changes, end of the era.

O'Neal to O'Rourke smooth transition. Lost most of the assistants due to COVID soft cap reduced by the 100K

Club has huge membership & making 2 $ mill profit.

Qn. mark still over JDS rebuild. How much debt to go into. I guess thats for the club & new CEO

Burge needs a better replacement.

I don't think Gale's replacement is as critical as he was when he joined.
The off field business is in good shape , nevertheless the PRO development is a massive project and req someone with some horsepower

I remember I was laughed at saying the club was being complacent and had lost its way.

Everything was rotting away and club didn’t care. Celebrating an era and dropped standards throughout the whole club. It set in a rot that’s gonna strangle us for a while.

Our current President is a joke. Soft as butter and doing bare minimum. Woke. Wants to please all.

They have to start now and get it right off the field. Will be watching carefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond off field thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back