List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It rewards and provides incentive.
I wouldn't manage Acres with Binns, but replacing Ollie wouldn't be a huge risk.(Acres + a Walsh/Cunners combination would be our strongest combo.)

Do you want to see players debut, or club pick the better players/side to win a game of football to cement top 2, 4?

Just on McCartin, apparently Sydney have brought him into their VFL side this weekend..not a bad thing, we get to see how he goes at a much higher level of football than Lorne, but we are definitely fighting with Sydney if we want him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He's already played a couple games for them, they must be quite keen.

Do you want to see players debut, or club pick the better players/side to win a game of football to cement top 2, 4?
I honestly think Walsh/Cunners on 1 wing would be stronger than Ollie. Would also lose Walsh's tagger, and make room for Kennedy and Cerra in the middle.
Binns probably wouldn't be much worse than the other kid with a similar physical presence.
Might even be better.

I just had a long look and it appears, as you said, that there is no restriction on nationality, it just mentions that you can have max two players on the CAT B list.

Good work.
Thanks!

The AFL has sent out conflicting information on this topic. In addition to the website you pointed out, there was this:

1721887308559.png
This is from the AFL player draft guide sent to potential draftees in August last year! Here it repeats the "one Irish player" statement, along with a "maximum of three extra players" on the Category-B list. But it's wrong.

The Feb '23 AFL rules has this table, showing clearly that there are a maximum of two players on the Cat-B list, so we know that the document above is inaccurate/out-of-date. And along with the 3 players on the Cat-B list, the 1 Irish player was changed for the 2021 season.

1721887773326.png

And as you say, this document makes no reference to a limit on Irish players, so I think we can be fairly confident that while such a rule did once exist, it's now gone. But the AFL haven't fixed up all of their communications on this change!

One more source that points to the change made in 2021 is this - from an Irish news outlet:

There was a lengthy discussion about this issue during the 2023 draft on this thread. Mostly because, at the time, we weren't aware of Matt Duffy's injury, and were struggling to understand how we were fitting him on the list. Turns out, he'd been injured in early October, and he was never listed.

Anyway, fully understand you thinking that this rule was still in place, and perhaps I should have been a little more verbose in my initial response. Made up for that now ;)

Based on the incumbent young wingman hardly setting the world on fire this year.
Hasn't set the world on fire, but you haven't answered my question, on what basis do believe Binns would be a better option
You think Ollie would be a better option than Walsh/Cunners?
What do Walsh (yes, great option) and Cuners (doesn't have the tank) have to do with Binns replacing Ollie?

Binns is a decent runner(like Oli)
Better goal sense.
Showing good form.
Similar physical specimens.
But mostly Oli2024 is a shadow of Oli2023.
So, based on VFL output

It's somewhat like the "Dow Effect"

Supposedly better than 1st choice mids because he was racking up 30+ touches in the VFL, but had weaknesses that were accentuated at the next level and never got close to that output

Then, apparently he was going to embarrass the club once traded, and achieve that 30+ and a goal at another club

Not too dissimilar to Stocker, that was going to be a full-time mid elsewhere

Binns has time to continue to develop his strengths and weaknesses so he is more prepared once he steps up a level

He may even play this week with Acres out, but as you have pointed out, we have better options such as Walsh, Cottrell, etc, that can be deployed in that wing role

So, based on VFL output

Supposedly better than 1st choice mids because he was racking up 30+ touches in the VFL, but had weaknesses that were accentuated at the next level and never got close to that output

Then, apparently he was going to embarrass the club once traded, and achieve that 30+ and a goal at another club

Binns has time to continue to develop his strengths and weaknesses so he is more prepared once he steps up a level

He may even play this week with Acres out, but as you have pointed out, we have better options such as Walsh, Cottrell, etc, that can be deployed in that wing role
Cmon Arrow, let’s go back one step further - it’s Nicky G syndrome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, based on VFL output

Tbf Stocker and Dow had been tried and failed. Binns hasn’t yet.
If Doc was fit i expect Hollands would’ve spent the majority of the season in the VFL showing plenty of weaknesses that could be exposed at VFL level like Binns.

Tbf Stocker and Dow had been tried and failed. Binns hasn’t yet.
If Doc was fit i expect Hollands would’ve spent the majority of the season in the VFL showing plenty of weaknesses that could be exposed at VFL level like Binns.

Not putting Binns in the same category as Stocker and Dow, moreso the sentiment of players supposedly needing to be picked

I think Binns will be a decent player, we just need to be patient

So, based on VFL output

I agree, we do have better alternatives, but I also don't think Binns would be miles behind Oli.
It's only an opinion, as opposed to the old chestnut "Voss knows better, so it can't be any other way'

If we win the flag this year, then no doubt that is true...but if we don't, then it is perfectly acceptable to question club decisions.

I agree, we do have better alternatives, but I also don't think Binns would be miles behind Oli.
It's only an opinion, as opposed to the old chestnut "Voss knows better, so it can't be any other way'

If we win the flag this year, then no doubt that is true...but if we don't, then it is perfectly acceptable to question club decisions.

Never mentioned Voss, and nothing wrong with debating any selection the coaches make from week to week

I'm just interested in the club selecting a side that gives us the best chance to secure top 2, same as other clubs in our position, rather than blooding players in a hope, they can compete at the level

There-ya-go I was right(but not by a huge margin.
He wasn't setting the world on fire last year either, but it was his first year.
Actually you were wrong. A "shadow of last year" would not have had (on average) one disposal less per game, more tackles per game, more marks per game and a better disposal efficiency.

I just don't get this merry go round of a group of posters who take a dislike to a player and point out every little mistake to justify their opinion. Seems that it's Ollie Hollands turn at the moment. That's not to say that he is perfect but I genuinely felt that he was a strong contributor last week.

Not putting Binns in the same category as Stocker and Dow, moreso the sentiment of players supposedly needing to be picked

I think Binns will be a decent player, we just need to be patient
He probably isn’t ready but surprisingly for me atleast I now don’t think Hollands is either. I would be more than happy to give Binns an opportunity to see how his game translates before finals.
like I said before if Doc was injury free I imagine Hollands would be in the VFL currently also showing weaknesses like Binns currently does and we would be probably be saying the same thing about him. I’m not sure how much we would actually lose by trying him and he possibly could surprise.

fmd do we have to compare all 103 of the various statistical and planetary alignments, looks to me like 2023 shades 2024 figures.
How do these figures compare with league averages for other wingmen?
I'm fine with Oli getting a chance, just don't see him as a lock.
But if he is only a shadow of himself from 2023 surely there'd be huge downward trends in each of his main statistical areas wouldn't there?

fmd do we have to compare all 103 of the various statistical and planetary alignments, looks to me like 2023 shades 2024 figures.
How do these figures compare with league averages for other wingmen?
I'm fine with Oli getting a chance, just don't see him as a lock.
Do you have some personal definition of ‘a shadow of’ which differs from the common understanding of the phrase?

He probably isn’t ready but surprisingly for me atleast I now don’t think Hollands is either. I would be more than happy to give Binns an opportunity to see how his game translates before finals.
like I said before if Doc was injury free I imagine Hollands would be in the VFL currently also showing weaknesses like Binns currently does and we would be probably be saying the same thing about him. I’m not sure how much we would actually lose by trying him and he possibly could surprise.

I think he is a chance to play with Acres out, but people suggesting VFL form warrants selection over Ollie is seriously flawed

Ollie won't be dropped this week for Binns

I might be the odd one out but I think Ollie Hollands for a 2nd year player has played well this year especially over the last couple of months.

When you cover as much ground as he does you have to expect the odd skill error however I doubt their would be more then a handful of true wingers who are as good defensively as he is.

Binns for example couldn’t have made that tackle on bont 2 weeks ago and every week I see Ollie gut run and push back and fly in front of the oppositions big key forwards I’m yet to see Binns do this regularly at a lower level.

If Binns played seniors he would probably get more possessions than Ollie but possessions can be overrated especially when playing on the wing, overall Ollie is a much more complete player at this stage of their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back