News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

For now. In a couple of decades it'll be on a planned underground line from Albert St to the airport. That has made it into long term government plans.

And if the Doomben line extension station at Hamilton were underground, I think it isn't inconceivable for it to be tunnelled through to Morningside eventually. Though that one is a personal dream of mine and not officially planned anywhere.
Has it? I've seen it proposed by advocacy groups like Rail Back on Track, but didn't realise it was anything beyond a thought bubble.

Mind you, residents of Bellbowrie are still waiting on the Moggill Sub-Arterial Road 50+ years later.

The one advantage is that they could also build better public transport links to the pedestrian bridge at Bulimba, giving southsiders a quicker avenue to get across and dispersing the road traffic after games to both sides of the river.
"Pedestrian drawbridge" now there's a concept I've never heard of before...I wonder why...

This looks like a highly unlikely and impractical solution to me. 60k people all trying to leave via the northern side of the ground? If the rail is extended it will mean ALL rail users will be catching the same train. How many trains can they have waiting at the proposed station? How quickly can a new train come in to the platform? It's basically the same issue that large crowds at Springfield would have but much worse. You would be looking to have a fairly major bus station on site to alleviate these issues.

Citycat is great but hardly a viable mass transit option when large numbers are arriving and leaving a venue at the same time.

Last edited:
Citycat is great but hardly a viable mass transit option when large numbers are arriving and leaving a venue at the same time.
The time is finally right for a fleet of hovercraft.

Has it? I've seen it proposed by advocacy groups like Rail Back on Track, but didn't realise it was anything beyond a thought bubble.
It was in a government plan called Connecting SEQ 2031. Of course, the city would be in much better shape for the Olympics were this project actually completed by 2031, but that won't happen.

Where'd you hear this? All I can see is stuff for smaller Olympic venues.
What a pisstake by the government. Starting the tendering process for a prosal which might not even exist next year:

Despite the groundswell of support [for the Hamilton stadium] the government, however, has confirmed it quietly started the tender process for QSAC last week.

What a pisstake by the government. Starting the tendering process for a prosal which might not even exist next year:
Classic move by governments on their way out the door.

Lock in shit house decisions with contracts to try to tie the incoming party to the same poor decisions. Our bus system down here is stuck in reverse because of that attitude, it's political point scoring and half the time it's money for mates over decent actual governance.

One thing Dan Andrews got right was paying out some of the decisions the Libs made on their way out - if you let this stuff sit and fester it's worse and more money gets wasted on worse outcomes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is an earlier iteration of the North Shore concept.

With the critical concept for the rail extension here:

View attachment 2082544
Good article in that it listed previous discussed sites with the pros and cons, favoring their proposal of course.
Only one version of Victoria Park listed, and the very recent proposal not listed.

One thing i got out of it was the costing for a new station being $200 million.
I have proposed a new station at Victoria Park as being crucial to that venue but have no idea of the costs.
I believe with an already in place rail line $200 million is a bit on the high side but least it is a costing from a source that has a better understanding on these types of projects than me.
  • $200 million for a new surface level station at Northshore Olympic Park.
I did the poll at the end to see if Hamilton came out in front. As expected, it did due to the positive article.
No numbers on how many voted though.

One thing no one has included that i can see is a warmup athletics track.
A warmup athletics facility will take up a fair chunk of land.
That was one of the drawbacks of the Gabba plan locating it in Raymont Park. With shuttle buses and or golf carts transporting the athletes.

1723950056512.png

View attachment 2083310

Will this help the push for a new stadium if we lose test cricket in QLD?
Good to see Cricket Australia pressuring the Queensland government as well. Hopefully one of the major parties commits to a new stadium soon so we can break this stalemate. It's so obvious that a new stadium should be built, but I get the feeling that both parties are trying to play it safe in the lead up to the state election.

Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

View attachment 2083310

Will this help the push for a new stadium if we lose test cricket in QLD?
Any extra pressure on the state and federal governments around election time will help.
Politicians can't help themselves if they think people may not vote for them because of an issue.
However, there are likely lost votes no matter which decision they make.

It's so obvious that a new stadium should be built, but I get the feeling that both parties are trying to play it safe in the lead up to the state election.
I think you're right, but the irony is, this isn't playing it safe at all if we factor in the 2028 state election. If either party changes course in 2025, they will cop it for having lied to voters pre-election, as both have promised no new stadiums. So it's the ultimate short-termism.

I get it from Labor's perspective because they're likely to be voted out of office this year, so they can't afford to lose any more votes right now. I don't get it from the LNPs perspective because they're almost certain to win this year, so they can afford to lose a few votes now if it means escaping the "liar" tag for 2028. I assume they want to win at least two terms in office. Perhaps they're assuming they'll win so handsomely this year that they won't be under any threat of losing in 2028, but how did that work out for Campbell Newman?

I think you're right, but the irony is, this isn't playing it safe at all if we factor in the 2028 state election. If either party changes course in 2025, they will cop it for having lied to voters pre-election, as both have promised no new stadiums. So it's the ultimate short-termism.

I get it from Labor's perspective because they're likely to be voted out of office this year, so they can't afford to lose any more votes right now. I don't get it from the LNPs perspective because they're almost certain to win this year, so they can afford to lose a few votes now if it means escaping the "liar" tag for 2028. I assume they want to win at least two terms in office. Perhaps they're assuming they'll win so handsomely this year that they won't be under any threat of losing in 2028, but how did that work out for Campbell Newman?
Voters are easily distracted and have short memories, most will go with whatever the prevailing media narrative is at the time IMO.

Voters are easily distracted and have short memories, most will go with whatever the prevailing media narrative is at the time IMO.
I think the media has been on the side of the LNP for a long time and it won't change. Perhaps others remember differently, but I don't remember a huge media narrative against Newman in 2015. And yet, he lost anyway because of the lies he'd told and his poor performance. So I disagree, I think the electorate can have long memories, and don't always vote based on the stance of the media.

I think the media has been on the side of the LNP for a long time and it won't change. Perhaps others remember differently, but I don't remember a huge media narrative against Newman in 2015. And yet, he lost anyway because of the lies he'd told and his poor performance. So I disagree, I think the electorate can have long memories, and don't always vote based on the stance of the media.
The only major media outlet in Brisbane being the Courier Mail definitely assists in that.

The LNP did say no new stadium initially.
They covered themselves with the 100-day review later, so i don't think it will be a problem for them promises wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back