Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Warner, he can go, unless:

1) He re-commits for at least 2 more years right now. If Freo and Eagles want him, pay up, none of this PSD nonsense from the Eagles.

2) He is told about and is OK with a move to half-forward, taking less CBs. He gets to kick goals and celebrate, but is aware he's spending the summer doing marking and tackling drills.
I agree with this. But would add to 2) that he plays majority of first half as a forward as he doesn't try in the first half anyway. 2nd half, or more so last quarter he can go nuts.

In the forward line go with 2 of Logan, Amartey, McLean. Trade the other.
Mid forwards. Hayward is tall enough to use as a "3rd tall" but we need to replace what Heeney's size was in the F50. Get another mid size. That's a big hole.
Small forwards. Papley. Still takes the occasional CB. Wicks

Mids/Forward: Gulden, Heeney, Rowbottom, Warner*, Jordon, Cleary, Campbell, Adams, Sheldrick, Juzza, Ollie, Lloyd

Mids/Defense: Mills, Roberts

KPD: McCartin, Melican

Mid D: Rampe, Fox, Blakey

Small D: Cunningham. Need another one.

Would like to see the likes of Fox, Campbell and Cleary be a permanent starting player next season. Potentially Sheldrick too depending on how his pre season goes.

Others can mention who others would be that can come into these lists. But I would expect the two first rounders to get some action in 2025.

Of my list above the below would be my certain starting line-up and I would make some changes to positions, a couple which would be left field in a way.

Cunningham, ??, Rampe
Mills, Melican, Fox
Campbell, Cleary, Gulden
Blakey, ??, Hayward
Papley, McDonald, Warner
Grundy, Heeney, Rowbottom

That leaves: Jordon, Lloyd, Roberts, Juzza, Ollie, Sheldrick, Adams, McCartin, McLean, Amartey.

In the forward line go with 2 of Logan, Amartey, McLean. Trade the other.
I'd keep all three on the list but look to create a forward structure that only uses two at a time. One can play in the VFL, provide injury cover, and put selection pressure on those in the senior team. I think other clubs can see the weaknesses in them, so while there are clubs desperate for a competent tall, none is going to pay us much at the trade table for either Amartey or McLean.

Anyone drafted anew will take several seasons to get to where McLean and Amartey are now, which doesn't mean we shouldn't look to draft someone else, but we can't count on them fixing problems in the short to medium term.

It's hard to form a conclusion on Buller given he was injured for most of this year. But my gut feel is that he won't prove to be an upgrade on either McLean or Amartey.

The first change I'd be making at the club is looking for a new development coach and/or VFL coach. I realise it's a hard set-up with such a small salary cap making it close to impossible to attract quality VFL listed players in number. But I still think we should have done far better in the VFL this year. Not necessarily in the win/loss column but in terms of playing a more cohesive, structured style of footy, and in terms of developing the AFL listed players far more than we have.

I look at someone like Magor, who I think has heaps of natural talent, but who completely stagnated this season. I expect he's about to get delisted, and his contributions this year warrant that, but I believe he'll be a missed opportunity. Mitchell has been allowed to play inconsistent, wayward football. Occasionally he does something eye-catching, but most of the time he doesn't. I still have some hopes for Edwards, and I think he already has a contract for next year, but I don't think he actually improved this year, especially in his one-on-one defending.

We've actually fed very little new talent into the "pickable" group over the last few seasons, especially outside the academy selections. The 2019 draft was a complete bust aside from Warner. 2021 was so-so, with at least three players left on the list. Sheldrick's ongoing injury woes haven't helped. 2022 looks as much - or more - or a bust than 2019 since there's no Warner to deflect away from the rest of the choices. 2023 is far too early to tell yet.

And over those drafts, I don't think we've picked up anyone from the rookie list who has made a contribution, or looks like making a contribution. When you think that the likes of Rampe, Papley, Melican, the two talls, Fox, Lloyd, Cunningham have shielded the list from the ongoing mediocre National Draft selections, that is a problem.

We've already made changes to the recruiting team. I suspect Dalrymple was given encouragement to look elsewhere, and Beatson is gradually easing away from his role. So we need to wait and see if the actual selection gets better. But I reckon it's as much about development as drafting.

Would go with Warner to WCE.
Would also look at "selling high" on Amartey. Not sure what we could get for him. If Melbourne don't go KPF early then maybe an F2 or F3. Think he would have some currency with St Kilda as well.

If Warner will stay why would we trade him pre prime and who wants picks really?

I think the Swans should really take a good look at Dom Brew. Mature age at 27. Won the VFL B&F, captained the Victoria team and averaged almost 10 clearances per outing.
Has games of 18 tackles, 17 tackles, 2 x 16 tackles, 15 tackles in his 4 year VFL career.

2024: 28.5 disposals, 9.9 clearances, 9.4 tackles and 5.6 inside 50s per game for Werribee in 2024.

2nd one is Deven Robertson from Brisbane. Can't get a gig there and is only 23.
Played 13 games in 2023 including all finals. Had 13 disposals in 63% of game time in the GF.
Only played 2 games this year.
Averaged a tick under 26 touches per game in the VFL.

I'd keep all three on the list but look to create a forward structure that only uses two at a time. One can play in the VFL, provide injury cover, and put selection pressure on those in the senior team. I think other clubs can see the weaknesses in them, so while there are clubs desperate for a competent tall, none is going to pay us much at the trade table for either Amartey or McLean.

Anyone drafted anew will take several seasons to get to where McLean and Amartey are now, which doesn't mean we shouldn't look to draft someone else, but we can't count on them fixing problems in the short to medium term.

It's hard to form a conclusion on Buller given he was injured for most of this year. But my gut feel is that he won't prove to be an upgrade on either McLean or Amartey.

The first change I'd be making at the club is looking for a new development coach and/or VFL coach. I realise it's a hard set-up with such a small salary cap making it close to impossible to attract quality VFL listed players in number. But I still think we should have done far better in the VFL this year. Not necessarily in the win/loss column but in terms of playing a more cohesive, structured style of footy, and in terms of developing the AFL listed players far more than we have.

I look at someone like Magor, who I think has heaps of natural talent, but who completely stagnated this season. I expect he's about to get delisted, and his contributions this year warrant that, but I believe he'll be a missed opportunity. Mitchell has been allowed to play inconsistent, wayward football. Occasionally he does something eye-catching, but most of the time he doesn't. I still have some hopes for Edwards, and I think he already has a contract for next year, but I don't think he actually improved this year, especially in his one-on-one defending.

We've actually fed very little new talent into the "pickable" group over the last few seasons, especially outside the academy selections. The 2019 draft was a complete bust aside from Warner. 2021 was so-so, with at least three players left on the list. Sheldrick's ongoing injury woes haven't helped. 2022 looks as much - or more - or a bust than 2019 since there's no Warner to deflect away from the rest of the choices. 2023 is far too early to tell yet.

And over those drafts, I don't think we've picked up anyone from the rookie list who has made a contribution, or looks like making a contribution. When you think that the likes of Rampe, Papley, Melican, the two talls, Fox, Lloyd, Cunningham have shielded the list from the ongoing mediocre National Draft selections, that is a problem.

We've already made changes to the recruiting team. I suspect Dalrymple was given encouragement to look elsewhere, and Beatson is gradually easing away from his role. So we need to wait and see if the actual selection gets better. But I reckon it's as much about development as drafting.
100% agree. Been singing the development song for quite a while for these exact reasons.

I think the Swans should really take a good look at Dom Brew. Mature age at 27. Won the VFL B&F, captained the Victoria team and averaged almost 10 clearances per outing.
Has games of 18 tackles, 17 tackles, 2 x 16 tackles, 15 tackles in his 4 year VFL career.

2024: 28.5 disposals, 9.9 clearances, 9.4 tackles and 5.6 inside 50s per game for Werribee in 2024.

Played 13 games in 2023 including all finals. Had 13 disposals in 63% of game time in the GF.
Feel really sad for Robertson. Had a lot of interest from "home" in WA and recommitted to the Lions. Ouch.

West Adelaide has a couple young inside mids that made SANFL team of the year from a poor team. Decent tackle, clearance numbers.

Kobe Ryan (20) and another (Sam) Frost (22, former Giants academy player, but draft year was 2021, impacted by national champs being cancelled (where he was going to be Allies captain).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good. Would have preferred both new VFL coach and new assistant, clearing out a couple completely, but at least we'll get some new blood in for seniors.

If it's difficult to poach talent outside of Sydney, or without a connection, I'd be looking at getting Laidler or Shaw back, have had some exposure outside of Swans now, or Marty Mattner, head coach at Sturt (2 flags and a runner up where his team crapped the bed in front of goal).

Good. Would have preferred both new VFL coach and new assistant, clearing out a couple completely, but at least we'll get some new blood in for seniors.

If it's difficult to poach talent outside of Sydney, or without a connection, I'd be looking at getting Laidler or Shaw back, have had some exposure outside of Swans now, or Marty Mattner, head coach at Sturt (2 flags and a runner up where his team crapped the bed in front of goal).
Getting Shaw back would be a dream, though I prefer him either in a development role or as VFL coach (clearly not happening now). But he was appointed to a new job at the Suns just a year ago - he's Director of Coaching for their academy. I suspect he'd want to spend a bit longer in that role rather than get back into AFL team level coaching. Though maybe it was a sideways move and he's itching to get back into AFL club coaching.

Happy to leave Laidler where he is.

Getting Shaw back would be a dream, though I prefer him either in a development role or as VFL coach (clearly not happening now). But he was appointed to a new job at the Suns just a year ago - he's Director of Coaching for their academy. I suspect he'd want to spend a bit longer in that role rather than get back into AFL team level coaching. Though maybe it was a sideways move and he's itching to get back into AFL club coaching.

Happy to leave Laidler where he is.
Like the idea of Mattner coming back. That 2012 team was full of hard noses. Jude, LRT, ROK, Mattner, Mummy, Hanners, Jack etc.

I don’t mind McVeigh as reserves coach. You probably want the reserves coach and head coach on the same wavelength.

McVeigh going to reserves also provides opportunity for fresh perspectives in the firsts.

A win-win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Way Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back