Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Initially I thought McDonald back was an ok call to release Blakey/Rampe from playing deep key back but Blakeys poor form and Fox being a horrible forward did hinder us a lot with this move.

To Logan’s credit he did an ok job down back but he needs to be our spearhead up forward.

I’m not a Florent fan and his first half was diabolical with his constant costly fumbles but you can’t deny he’s a good set shot at goal when he gets an opportunity. His last quarter was solid.

Maybe Florent should go forward and Fox return to his rightful defensive position

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Don't think it's even a question. Of course he would be. But clearly Horse doesn't see Hamling as part of our best team, for whatever reason.
I think Horse has about 30 or so players he trusts to play AFL. If you are outside of this group, regardless of VFL form, you are pretty much no chance. He would rather shuffle the magnets.

I'm not bullish at all from that win. I thought we were pretty diabolical for 3.5 quarters.

The loss of Jmac has really, really hurt us. I don't think I can recall a single occasion in that game where a player received the ball streaming past on the overlap. Blakey continues to regularly kick the ball off his instep which suggests to me an ankle stability issue which can only be fixed with post-season surgery.

Our short kicking game has been largely abandoned in favour of handballing and I lost count of the number of times a midfielder handballed back into congestion to a team mate under the pump (Warner is the prime offender here, but Heeney also gave his fair share of inexplicable hospital passes). As Parker proved in the last, sometimes you just need to get it on the boot, gain territory and reset defensively. I can only assume the lack of competitiveness in the forward line is the reason we've avoided this approach. Here too, Papley is a massive loss.

Our zone defence is still way too loose and we're allowing the opposition to chip it around far too easily, which means we aren't forcing as many turnovers in the same way we did earlier in the season. I absolutely loathe the decision to play McDonald back.

One thing that stood out to me was Heeney mentioning in a post-match interview that there were a lot of tired and sore Swans players out there. Why?! We were well on top of the ladder six or seven weeks ago and it was obvious to me then that McClean, Florent, Warner, Gulden, Heeney, McCartin, Blakey, Grundy were all starting to play some pretty tired footy. I can only assume the medical staff hands Longmire a list of "uninjured" players and he selects the best team on paper. This one game at a time approach might work early in a season when players are fresh but sometimes you need to think more strategically about the season as a campaign and it's not clear to me that Longmire adopts that approach. Rather than rotating half a dozen fresh players through, now we'll have to hope that we can secure one more win and pray the bye and returning players are enough to get back some of our dash.

Don't get me wrong, Longmire is a very good coach in most aspects but I do worry about his adaptability when "focusing on the basics" just isn't getting the job done. And if I hear him or one of the players using that "destiny in our hands" bullshit talking point once again in the lead up to finals, then I'll know we're in big trouble.

I'm not bullish at all from that win. I thought we were pretty diabolical for 3.5 quarters.

The loss of Jmac has really, really hurt us. I don't think I can recall a single occasion in that game where a player received the ball streaming past on the overlap. Blakey continues to regularly kick the ball off his instep which suggests to me an ankle stability issue which can only be fixed with post-season surgery.

Our short kicking game has been largely abandoned in favour of handballing and I lost count of the number of times a midfielder handballed back into congestion to a team mate under the pump (Warner is the prime offender here, but Heeney also gave his fair share of inexplicable hospital passes). As Parker proved in the last, sometimes you just need to get it on the boot, gain territory and reset defensively. I can only assume the lack of competitiveness in the forward line is the reason we've avoided this approach. Here too, Papley is a massive loss.

Our zone defence is still way too loose and we're allowing the opposition to chip it around far too easily, which means we aren't forcing as many turnovers in the same way we did earlier in the season. I absolutely loathe the decision to play McDonald back.

One thing that stood out to me was Heeney mentioning in a post-match interview that there were a lot of tired and sore Swans players out there. Why?! We were well on top of the ladder six or seven weeks ago and it was obvious to me then that McClean, Florent, Warner, Gulden, Heeney, McCartin, Blakey, Grundy were all starting to play some pretty tired footy. I can only assume the medical staff hands Longmire a list of "uninjured" players and he selects the best team on paper. This one game at a time approach might work early in a season when players are fresh but sometimes you need to think more strategically about the season as a campaign and it's not clear to me that Longmire adopts that approach. Rather than rotating half a dozen fresh players through, now we'll have to hope that we can secure one more win and pray the bye and returning players are enough to get back some of our dash.

Don't get me wrong, Longmire is a very good coach in most aspects but I do worry about his adaptability when "focusing on the basics" just isn't getting the job done. And if I hear him or one of the players using that "destiny in our hands" bullshit talking point once again in the lead up to finals, then I'll know we're in big trouble.

It was never going to flip completely from playing awfully to playing awesome again in one week.

So to get a win, have Heeney and Warner back to something resembling their best. Plus now having the potential of resting players in the last 2 rounds. With hopefully Mcinerney and Papley back for the finals.

It was a very significant night and I think we are back to being as good a chance as anyone at being there on GF day.

Mostly agree.
Especially with: "..As Parker proved in the last, sometimes you just need to get it on the boot, gain territory and reset defensively. I can only assume the lack of competitiveness in the forward line is the reason we've avoided this approach. Here too, Papley is a massive loss.."

Anyone want to tell him how he's wrong? Coming on as a big sook
Yes that non 50 could have gone either way. But the umpire was sensible. The delineates were definitely there. For effs sake you can't just push the ball over the line straight out of bounds as happened in both cases. They were very obvious deliberate from at least 3 metres away. The rule states a free will be paid against a player who shows no effort to keep the ball in play if there is a chance to do so. Or something like that.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

McRae complains about the umpires. They play 17 games at The G. They have biased umpires there. They threw the call more times than Andrew Johns. This guy is a sore loser

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

They have every advantage available to them every year i cant imagine how dominant we would be if we had that many games at the SCG every year and not have to travel to tough opposition venues.

Essendon are the same really

Lol @ McRae, how many times has the favourable whistle gone their way in all these close calls, can name 5 just of the top of my head and I haven't even watched half of them.
Soon as it goes against him (and really a 50/50 call at most), he has a cry.....this is after all his 'we don't talk about what ifs', 'winning attitudes blah, blah' talk.
Hilarious how quickly the tone has changed this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's good to be able to come here and express our frustrations in the way we see the game. We couldn't get away with the shit we say on here if we posted it on Facebook fan pages without being accused of being a shit supporter. Some people just don't understand that we react the way we do because of the love we have for our team.
Yeah I too learnt the hard way, I made a long post about our trade targets/list management a couple of years ago, and I got smothered with the good ol "LeAvE iT tO tHe CoAcHeS tO DO" and "yOu HaVe ToO mUcH TiMe oN YoUr HaNdS" type of comments.

Then I remembered about this website and started posting here haha. The groups are mostly filled with happy clappers and facebook mums.

Lol @ McRae, how many times has the favourable whistle gone their way in all these close calls, can name 5 just of the top of my head and I haven't even watched half of them.
Soon as it goes against him (and really a 50/50 call at most), he has a cry.....this is after all his 'we don't talk about what ifs', 'winning attitudes blah, blah' talk.
Hoist on his own petard.

Funny how he never complained about how bad that advantage call to Neale was in the GF.

Watched the game for the 3rd time today..

One of my fav scenes was this, with Mills practically sobbing onto Rowy. Just shows the pressure and strain on him from last few weeks all coming out. That result will definitely be our turning point imo.

IMG_0175.jpg

Also great seeing Papps doing the post game energiser bunny thing running around jumping and hugging the boys.

After that last 1/4 can we safely say Heeney has recovered from any injury/ankle niggles? He looked like his first half of season self again.

Watched the game for the 3rd time today..

One of my fav scenes was this, with Mills practically sobbing onto Rowy. Just shows the pressure and strain on him from last few weeks all coming out. That result will definitely be our turning point imo.

View attachment 2076327

Also great seeing Papps doing the post game energiser bunny thing running around jumping and hugging the boys.

After that last 1/4 can we safely say Heeney has recovered from any injury/ankle niggles? He looked like his first half of season self again.
It's the most emotional I have seen them after a win in ages

Look at the positions of the umpire and linesman, how could neither of them have seen that?
When you remember most of them have eyes painted on, it becomes a lot simpler. Bit like when the umpire from 50 metres away calls a free, but the bloke 2 metres away doesn't (Happened a couple of times on Friday night)....

It is nothing but a pure lottery these days...

When you remember most of them have eyes painted on, it becomes a lot simpler. Bit like when the umpire from 50 metres away calls a free, but the bloke 2 metres away doesn't (Happened a couple of times on Friday night)....

It is nothing but a pure lottery these days...
Gotta agree. Surely one of the very first things they should do in that situation, is check the ball is still in play?

View attachment 2076373
Pies last score was from a kick over metre out of bounds…
I can't get over the number of boundary howlers there have been this year. Some the ump was a long way away but this one he was in perfect position and unobstructed. The angle of the photo makes it look further out than it is (not a metre!) but it is definitely out. Oops.

It's good to be able to come here and express our frustrations in the way we see the game. We couldn't get away with the shit we say on here if we posted it on Facebook fan pages without being accused of being a shit supporter. Some people just don't understand that we react the way we do because of the love we have for our team.
Some of the posters on Swans FB groups are downright incontinent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back