AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 56 ffs. I s’pose we have to swallow it. I will miss the swagger he brought and thank god he’s not wearing coll/Carl colours. No more Anzac Day Jake, indigenous night, king’s birthday eve, packed Marvel etc.
Enjoy the 11-12k crowds. Are the Giants a flag chance ? Probably. Are we ? Absolutely not. …..but you never know. Imagine being a part of Essendons next flag ? Not sure I’ll be around to witness it but **** mate, off you pop.

Cal saying Stringer to GWS should/will get done, then goes on to say they'll put forward a later pick suggesting pick 56.

Am I that far removed from what constitutes a decent trade to think 56 is significant unders or does the fact we don't want to pay him what he thinks he deserves (but the Giants do) reduce our trade hand?
It is basically about not going into deficit for next year as far as points go.
I wonder if we gambled and lost, thinking that there'd be more suitors therefore get a better return.
No it was no gamble. They have decided that he is not the guy going forward. They have picked between Langford and Stringer as the medium forward. Langford wins. Caddy plays. One of Jones or 2MP plays. They wanted him out and they where not expecting too much for him.

Kane Cornes thinking we have played this well is almost the only Rorschach test you need to confirm we haven’t.

Hard to stomach for me that he’s such a negative asset on and off field that we’d be prepared to off load him for nothing. Doesn’t really compute.
Pretty easy to compute. They want Caddy going forward. Langford holds his spot. The forward line did not really work 100% with both Langford and Stringer. Jake is the guy they want to move. Even if they hold him the compo for him going as a FA will be band 3 next year. They have to restructure the side.

Pick 56 ffs. I s’pose we have to swallow it. I will miss the swagger he brought and thank god he’s not wearing coll/Carl colours. No more Anzac Day Jake, indigenous night, king’s birthday eve, packed Marvel etc.
Enjoy the 11-12k crowds. Are the Giants a flag chance ? Probably. Are we ? Absolutely not. …..but you never know. Imagine being a part of Essendons next flag ? Not sure I’ll be around to witness it but **** mate, off you pop.
Hang in there.

How does that fit with him being a good mate of Merrets? Maybe Merrett just try’s to be the glue that keeps outliers in the group, I don’t know.
Got to say though that I’ve been impressed how much stringer has toed the line over the years. I thought he would be toxic but there hasn’t been talk of that as far as I know. All in all it seems strange how acrimonious this has become given he was a couple of straight kicks away from dragging us into the finals. Now it seems everyone has to have a scape goat and the “shit bloke” becomes a target.
Unless there is actual toxic stuff behind the scenes then I think we are mad to let him go. **** the forward line structure, you don’t discard top line talent that has no trade value.
He stacked on kegs during the season. DURING THE SEASON! It might not be toxic but the KFC, McDonalds, Hungry Jacks and Red Rooster he was eating might be.

No doubting he’s one of the most talented footballers in the competition and awesome to watch when he’s “on” but there’s also no doubting how inconsistent he is. I’d say a lot of that inconsistency is directly related to his lack of professionalism.

I’m ok if he stays by the way, we’re going to be shit for another couple years while we rebuild so it’s ok to have something nice to watch in our colours (a bag of 4-5 every 3-4 weeks). I just don’t think keeping him is going to help us long term and I don’t think we’ll kick any less goals without him - they just won’t be as exciting.

It's really somewhere between the two. We're not pushing him out, we're just sticking to the original contract and if he wants more he's free to get it elsewhere
I think we clearly are pushing him out. where else does this 'i've played my last game for essendon' stuff come from? why else would we be in negotiations for a pick in the 50s?

We are not forced to accept pick 56 but we will be reasonable with negotiations
I don't see it this way at all. The club doesn't want him and hasn't really hidden that.

Pick 56 is unders and it seems the club agrees according to Twomey after my post,

Screenshot_20241009_220110_AFL.jpg

So yeah nah. This narrative that we're just trying to get him out for anything was just BS that people were just running with as fact as was the main point in my post. You're wrong.

Pick 56 is unders and it seems the club agrees according to Twomey after my post,

View attachment 2136625

So yeah nah. This narrative that we're just trying to get him out for anything was just BS that people were just running with as fact as was the main point in my post. You're wrong.
Did you mean to quote me here? Show where in any of my posts i said the bolded. I actually said we'd be targeting better than 56. And that the door is open for him to see his contract out and try and win another. You said we should flat out refuse to trade him now if we dont get what you want. You're wrong, there will be a negotiation and a deal will be struck.

56 is massive unders because GWS aren’t trading for a slow midfielder. They are trading for a star 3rd forward to hopefully finish their team and get them over a finals hump.

That’s a far more valuable player to them then pick 56 especially after they just got 3 compo picks and can’t get in any free agents or else those picks will be diluted….

4 years of Jake is realistically worth a late first In this context but we’d be happy with points and stone

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back