AFL Autopsy RND 18: Loss Against The Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to justify poor offense movements when they are not even bringing anything defensively.

Possession stats.

Tackle stats

O

Happy that our hb line can run back 20 metres to get a kick or kick to each other.

1 tackle between heppel, ridley, kelly tonight in wet conditions.

Incredibly poor showing tonight from supposed leaders. We are no hope if they contunie to all be picked and play together.

For a team of front runners, we struggle to get to a position to receive the ball

Kelly had plenty of mates who did what he did tonight

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Front running teams do not actually work hard to make it happen. They rely on the other teams to not defend.
We can not play fast football as we do not have the cattle to do it all game .

Too tall in the wet . Harry on the wing has worked but two tall wings in the wet ?

They played the conditions better.
Being wet gave us no advantage in the ruck with Gawn out. They were able to just make it a contest in the middle.

Ridley may have been good but he also cost us when he left his man and did not win the footy.

And like I keep saying. It is what it is . We are not the finished product. We have improved in some areas but there is a lot still to do.
It is actually funny reading all the melts .
I think part of the melts is the average footy supporter can see the team selections are not going to work and that is always a worry.

Front running teams do not actually work hard to make it happen. They rely on the other teams to not defend.
We can not play fast football as we do not have the cattle to do it all game .

All our “good” wins are in low intensity matches

Last weeks amazing win against Collingwood was Craig MacCraes lowest pressure rated game as a senior coach

Tonight the Dees applied pressure and we crumbled. Again. And again. And again. And again

As much as things have changed, the same things remain the same.

It is the hope that kills me. Come in off a reasonable win, or so the media told me. Against a side without there best player (Trac), there spiritual leader and captain (Gawn), with a bulldozer out of form needing to lead the line (Oliver) and we are almost full strength and again showed we really are frauds

Aishwarya Rai Dancing GIF
Soft ****s need a roof.

I think part of the melts is the average footy supporter can see the team selections are not going to work and that is always a worry.
The worry is they expect more from what we have. We have really overachieved this year and then it is meltdown when we have a bit of a stumble.

We let a golden opportunity slip through our fingers tonight.

Too many players missing for large parts of the game.

Geulfi & Gresham 0 goals is not good enough. They are not the future.

All our “good” wins are in low intensity matches

Last weeks amazing win against Collingwood was Craig MacCraes lowest pressure rated game as a senior coach

Tonight the Dees applied pressure and we crumbled. Again. And again. And again. And again

As much as things have changed, the same things remain the same.

It is the hope that kills me. Come in off a reasonable win, or so the media told me. Against a side without there best player (Trac), there spiritual leader and captain (Gawn), with a bulldozer out of form needing to lead the line (Oliver) and we are almost full strength and again showed we really are frauds

Classic .
Maybe you need to live in the real world.
The reality is we are a mid range side in the second year of another coach who is trying to build a professional football program at a club that has underachieved for 20 years .
We have no real culture. We have gaps in the list .
Effort did not lose us the game. Dumb turnovers lost it .
We need 6 plus players to finish things off to the point we are a constant finals side.
I am taking how it is . Liking the wins and understanding we are at the start of the journey to change the culture of the club .
There have been some wins on hat have papered over some cracks.
Tonight we ran into a good defensive side in the wet which was their advantage. The weather basically played havoc bro their wheelhouse as they where not going to be exposed by having a forward line that can waste opportunities and their contested defensive game could shine

You just keep doing a Wyllie Coyote and running past the road runner and off the cliff.
People have to realise where we are at .

This 3 game stretch was it - Cats Pies and Dees…came away with 1-2 and the win was against a depleted Collingwood team.

I’m comfortable I’ve seen what we’ve got this year and it’s better than last year but still a bit of improvement required to mix it consistently…we’re about a 5-10 placed team atm…

I reckon we’ll win a few more but not expecting to tear it up too much…

Are some of our players injured? A lot down on form atm…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

come on now. Effort particularly application to the contest is 100% the reason we lost the game.

Essendon players wanted to corale Melbourne’s, and used perceived pressure to force turnovers.

Melbourne quickly worked out that they weren’t getting tackled all that often and moved the ball with confidence. So while Essendon were close enough to inflate their pressure rating the actual effort was awful.

I rate this team as a good team but it’s time to move a few more magnets and take some underperforming players out

Classic .
The reality is we are a mid range side in the second year of another coach who is trying to build a professional football program at a club that has underachieved for 20 years .
We need 6 plus players to finish things off to the point we are a constant finals side.
I am taking how it is . Liking the wins and understanding we are at the start of the journey to change the culture of the club .
Tonight we ran into a good defensive side in the wet which was their advantage. The weather basically played havoc bro their wheelhouse as they where not going to be exposed by having a forward line that can waste opportunities and their contested defensive game could shine

You just keep doing a Wyllie Coyote and running past the road runner and off the cliff.
People still have the right to criticise the team on a public forum when we are shit like tonight, no matter the position the club is in. That’s the real world.

come on now. Effort particularly application to the contest is 100% the reason we lost the game.

Essendon players wanted to corale Melbourne’s, and used perceived pressure to force turnovers.

Melbourne quickly worked out that they weren’t getting tackled all that often and moved the ball with confidence. So while Essendon were close enough to inflate their pressure rating the actual effort was awful.

I rate this team as a good team but it’s time to move a few more magnets and take some underperforming players out
Yep we played fluffy football in the wet. No conviction until the end. With the exception of McKay.

The worry is they expect more from what we have. We have really overachieved this year and then it is meltdown when we have a bit of a stumble.
It’s true. We’ve got the right coach but the wrong players. I 100% support B Scott. If we don’t make tough decisions at yet end then I’ll be be disappointed otherwise this year we’ve overachieved with a lot of players that simply aren’t up to it.

Most of the team seemed unable to judge the bounce of the ball. Pace or height. Then fell over their own feet. They were still in last week perhaps. Probably won't have another drop of rain to play in the for the year. Onwards and upwards.

People still have the right to criticise the team on a public forum when we are shit like tonight, no matter the position the club is in. That’s the real world.
That is not what I am saying. it is one thing to be critical of the side.

When someone uses the line "It is the hope that kills me" then people are not living in the real world if in some threads they are raising legitimate questions about some players and then in the match day threads they meltdown because we are not good enough . Well what is the outcome going to be ?
The real world is to realize where the list is at and at what stage of the build under Scott is at . Unrealistic expectations lead to a lot of melting.
And if I want to have a dig at someone I know and have had many football conversations with on and off the forum I will.

That is not what I am saying. it is one thing to be critical of the side.

When someone uses the line "It is the hope that kills me" then people are not living in the real world if in some threads they are raising legitimate questions about some players and then in the match day threads they meltdown because we are not good enough . Well what is the outcome going to be ?
The real world is to realize where the list is at and at what stage of the build under Scott is at . Unrealistic expectations lead to a lot of melting.
And if I want to have a dig at someone I know and have had many football conversations with on and off the forum I will.
Classic .

I pointed out the club has given me hope hat things have changed. We had a good win last week which gave not just me but some Essendon supporters hope that we could actually turn up and put in a shift tonight and get the job done. It didn't happen.

Scott was outreached tonight, selection is starting to resemble those late 2000's, early 2010's teams with little reward to the kids at the lower level papering over cracks with wins yet when the heat is applied we fall over.

Its been the same shit for 20 years mate, even you can acknowledge that tonight was probably the best chance at showing the wider AFL community that things have changed?

There is a lot of plain dumb shit we do that must be killing the coaching group . I wonder exactly how smart we really are. How many times in a game can we go all in to a contest only to see opposition players clear the footy . Happens all the time. We rush in and try and make a 4 or 2 or similar only to have 2 blokes in a position that has no effect on the game either way. Classics example in the last quarter. Ball comes down the ground to a Draper marking contest. We have 5 on 2 yet we still manage to be out of position and all on one side. Ball spills to the other side where Caleb Windsor has held his spot. Ball cleared.
Even the two on two contests. There was one in the last quarter where Langford left his guy to go to a nothing spot that was no help offensively and allowed the Melbourne player to just run past and get a handball.

I pointed out the club has given me hope hat things have changed. We had a good win last week which gave not just me but some Essendon supporters hope that we could actually turn up and put in a shift tonight and get the job done. It didn't happen.

Scott was outreached tonight, selection is starting to resemble those late 2000's, early 2010's teams with little reward to the kids at the lower level papering over cracks with wins yet when the heat is applied we fall over.

Its been the same shit for 20 years mate, even you can acknowledge that tonight was probably the best chance at showing the wider AFL community that things have changed?
that's on you. we've had 3 good wins this season (Bulldogs, GWS, Collingwood) against teams that are on the edge of the top eight, some very close wins over some whatever teams (Crows, Saints) and then 4 victories over North, Richmond and WC (X2) that were deeply disappointing performances despite the wins. If you consistency struggle to defeat truly horrid teams, that's a pretty good sign you're not doing much better than them. and that's fine for the reasons ant has lined out. this team isn't particularly good and they've not shown that they are. so why think they are

There is a lot of plain dumb shit we do that must be killing the coaching group . I wonder exactly how smart we really are. How many times in a game can we go all in to a contest only to see opposition players clear the footy . Happens all the time. We rush in and try and make a 4 or 2 or similar only to have 2 blokes in a position that has no effect on the game either way. Classics example in the last quarter. Ball comes down the ground to a Draper marking contest. We have 5 on 2 yet we still manage to be out of position and all on one side. Ball spills to the other side where Caleb Windsor has held his spot. Ball cleared.
Even the two on two contests. There was one in the last quarter where Langford left his guy to go to a nothing spot that was no help offensively and allowed the Melbourne player to just run past and get a handball.
this was one of my biggest take aways from seeing us live tonight. The amount of times Melbourne simply let it roll to the front or back of a stoppage and as soon as it came out, BANG! away they went.

We should have bulldozed them at the source tonight but played cute and got torched for it

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 18: Loss Against The Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back