Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

What are you prepared to pay for Dan Houston?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let Collingwood trade their future with no picks in a loaded draft to try sneak a premiership next year. If they don’t win it, they are beyond cooked. Their downfall will be Richmond-esque. Good luck to them
So true.

Such an interesting trade/draft period.

Tassie eating up much of the upcoming talent is key - the Collingwood cliff is a very high one.

Clubs forced more than ever to consider their strategy - Austin clearly has his strategy in mind.

Houston would soak up our F1 with a group of father-sons becoming available, under changing FS rules.

We’d all love & justify the sugar hit - but at a pretty big opportunity- cost.

Collingwood thinking they can do a Richmond & sell the farm once the window has closed?

Possibly.

It's genuinely absurd this is over 2 weeks. I know why it is but it just makes it utterly pointless.
The AFL want maximum exposure for as long as possible, which I can understand. Struggling for cash flow, the AFL.

The extended trade week is all about theatrics, and some of the bigger trades could be scripted for entertainment.

A good majority of these deals were most likely done weeks, if not months ago, with the exception of some pick swaps.

I’m in the camp of not fussed whether or not we get Houston - he’d be a good get for whoever he plays for.

If it costs us TDK next year though, that’s a different story right there.
Much prefer to sign Weits and TDK to what they’re worth, as they’re both far more important structurally, and in general, than Houston.

Two first rounders, Campos, Haynes, perhaps a sprinklin of DFA if the opportunities should arise, and i’d be fairly content.

WTF are we doing? i'm not seeing any improvement to our list or being proactive at all. Why are we letting Houston walk to Collingwood? FFS , do something.
I’ve said it before, but if you are puzzled by what we are doing and would like some insights into our list management strategy, then Forty3 has written some excellent posts detailing why we are taking an approach which emphasises the draft.

WTF are we doing? i'm not seeing any improvement to our list or being proactive at all. Why are we letting Houston walk to Collingwood? FFS , do something.
mJjQGDK8.gif

I’ve said it before, but if you are puzzled by what we are doing and would like some insights into our list management strategy, then Forty3 has written some excellent posts detailing why we are taking an approach which emphasises the draft.
Not to mention it's just plain common sense and good management to do so.
Bring on a swag of young future stars I say.

Great afl has greenlighted port to trade f1.

Means Suns can get luko for port f1 without port needing to trade Houston for a 2024 1st.

Therefore they no longer need to entertain giving pies 13 for unders as part of the noble deal in order to be able to trade Jack L.

Big boost to our chances at 13. We need these deals to be separated to have a shot.

Totally understand the frustration. Seems like a sadistic overlord is yoyoing our hopes for 17 now after decades of torture.

However, I reckon there's 25 percent improvement to our list if we can even halve the injuries of last year. Continuity, synergy, all that stuff was just smashed this year.

I've been a broken record regarding importance of the injured players to our overly contested game style, which only compounds this continuity issue.

I've got some faith in Williams and Moir up forward. Think we need defensive small forward tho. Fogarty was highest rated in the league here before injury, maybe this is ok for now.

Maybe Motts been unfairly called unfit this year too. His running numbers were around the 14km per game often late in the season. He just hadnt played those roles before and lacks the sneaky closing pace for the role higher up the ground and defemsive F50 stuff. A less accountable goal sneak role is up for grabs tho with Owies going, and he's way better at the fall of the ball. Altogether cause for optimism in F50 I think.

In the midfield, we seriously lack some outside ball use. If Ollie can add some quick steps and get ball to boot quicker, and E Hollands can be brought up to run off the back of stoppage as outside player to kick into F50, that would help the speed and accuracy of delivery into F50 so much. Hoping our stoppages coach gets a change or some help.

A fit Cerra will help take the brunt off of Walsh allowing him to improve his delivery too. Was kicking with leaden legs alot this year. Cripps to add back in his 40m releasing handballs would put that speed back on the ball. Would love some pace here, but there arent 18 Daicos's getting around. Too much riding on Cerra being fit here for me, and Cripps being on the ground at all times. We need to start thinking of resting Cripps some weeks going forward and for longer periods during the game, so sort something out player and stoppage wise when he is off the ground pls.

In D50, structures need to allow a good switch to split the forward territory teams zones up. Really hoping Haynes' smarts opens up Weitering to be more damaging with his positioning. Cowan finished his apprenticeship last year I think and will get more latitude in his role. Houston would be an instant fix, but can see a world of development in which we dont need him. Mcgoverns start to the year was amazing, aggressive, punishing by foot. Lost confidence after his injuries tho.

Again, have said this before but the lack of pressure up forward and aggressive midfield positioning at stoppages put undue pressure on our D50, who I think held up really well considering. The quality of their performances are probably obscured by the ridiculous levels of repeat entries into our D50. Cant see this being allowed again next year, so optimistic in this area too really. Would love a better option than Young to release Weiters.

Overall, would much prefer continuity of current players in similar positions and roles, plus new talented draftees/understudies/selection competition added over the next three years on the relative cheap. Especially compared to our old Buy The Messiah mindset that arguably kept us in the cellar for the last quarter century. I have faith in Austin's sobre mindedness so far. All for FAs mercenaries, not someone who costs us multiple high value picks in important drafts.

Lastly, regarding our window being tied to Cripps' prime, it can be extended like Dangers' if properly managed. Cripps can can also add a Hodge like direction for younger players beyond that. Can totally see him learning to play deep forward over next few years, so long as we dont let him run himself into the ground. It is looking like the Ballad of John Henry for him at the moment, which will absolutely break my heart if that's how his career ends. On that basis alone understand how buying in someone on high dollars and draft picks seems to be the way. Head says it isnt tho

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very definition of a win-win trade. Smart work by both clubs. Tigs now have 3 first round picks, and you'd think another 3-4 to come (for Rioli, Baker, Bolton). With those three gone, they'll have 8 slots free on their list and 7 first round picks.

Of note to us, is that this trade also removed all of the picks that would have been in play for Kennedy if he was to go to Punt Rd. Would prob be a pick swap now, say 20 for our 34?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just can't understand this though...

We've given 34 in a deeper draft for an F2 that'll likely be in the 40's of a weaker draft...

And given 66 for 73... so we've moved back there too...

The only positive is, now we can realistically table F1 + F2 to GC for 13...

Hopefully that's the plan...
Tbf 66 for 73 is totally irrelevant when drafts never go that long now

On A065 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Back