Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

steve bannon post GIF

Freo fans after reading west coast doing that trade.

Stop using points unless talking about father son or accademy players.

Or at least, use the points from next year's system which is half fair.
Stop criticising me for using points unless you have a much better system. Thx for your suggestion about the fairer points system of 2025. I don't think it makes that much difference to my point.

They gave up pick 3
Ur right
BUT This year it is generally agreed that
1 The draft is deep ie picks 10-30 are more valuable than usual
2 There are few absolute stand out guns ie the top picks aren't as valuable as usual

So I didn't include this arguable aspect in my initial post.

If someone has their eyes on two players in the teens they could well value them over pick 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop criticising me for using points unless you have a much better system. Thx for your suggestion about the fairer points system of 2025. I don't think it makes that much difference to my point.
Points are some sort of reference point, so can't blame you for using them. But the accuracy in terms of truly reflecting the value of a pick can vary widely. So their usefulness as a reference point also varies widely.

This board's trade discussion is odd...
We are mercilessly mocking WCE for valuing Baker at Pick 14.
The general consensus was Baker is worth a decent 2nd rounder eg pick 25.
Points value difference 14 - 25 = 434 points.
While simultaneously...
Most here are happy that Bolton is worth 10 and 18
AND some of whom can talk about adding in pick 30 to get the deal done.
Pick 30 = 454 points.
Why is one absoutely nothing but dumb while the other is reasonable?

List profiles. Our list is in the window and with Bolton he could be the missing piece that earns us a top 4 finish.

I find it very funny because while Baker is a good player to acquire. He should not have been a priority acquisition for the club. WCE should have prioritised drafting youth and trading out players with currency.

The strategy is all wrong and that's why it is funny. West Coast don't want to bottom out, it is a very risky strategy.

If I was an Eagles fan I'd be clinging to the fact pick numbers (and points if you don't have an academy/FS) are just academic, and it's only the players available that matter.

But I still don't understand how they couldn't get more for it, the very worst should have been able to get 10 and trade 18 for Baker.
They'd be in front of our pick 11 if we retained it, and even if they still wanted to slide they could extract some further value.
The giving up more to Carlton I assume doesn't mean anything, although I haven't checked their list spots vs picks this year, but even the optics is horrendous.

Ur right
BUT This year it is generally agreed that
1 The draft is deep ie picks 10-30 are more valuable than usual
2 There are few absolute stand out guns ie the top picks aren't as valuable as usual

So I didn't include this arguable aspect in my initial post.

If someone has their eyes on two players in the teens they could well value them over pick 3.
I like the genuine discussion.

Others have touched on the issues of the valuation of later picks, but it does continue to suggest the very top picks aren't as valued this year and the mid first round picks are inflated.

I'd say a) we haven't done it yet (let's revisit), and b) I'd prefer giving up 30 over not having 11 if it came to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back