List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Can someone sell me on Lindsay the midfielder?

To me he reeks of 'back-flanker-disguised-as-a-mid-in-u18s'.
I get it, outside-leaning, we need outside class leadership blah blah. Just doesn't seem to do any actual midfielder things that have me interested. Granted, against other mids who are likely to be at the pick it isn't like you'd expect much more, but I'd love to be shown some more evidence of what he can do in there.
You're correct, he is.

All the options touted to go around our pick aren't true midfielders more flankers with ability to play midfield.
Hotton is a half forward who spent time on ball.
Allan a half back but did spend big chunks of the champs on ball.
Lindsay is a half back, winger and has spent time for Gippsland on ball.
Berry, Hynes same as Hotton.

It's a pretty frustrating part of the draft.

It's a pretty frustrating part of the draft.

Yep - all good footballers, no doubts about that, but, just not players that suite our most pressing positional needs.

Murphy Reid? I'm massive on him in terms of talent. Ashcroft and Jagga would be the only ones I'd have ahead of him, and not by much. He's absolute silk.

Lalor level with him, watching him live was very impressive. His leap for his size is wow.
Reid just oozes class and impacts games.
I don't think he'll drift.

The only two I think that might drift is Smillie and Langford due to athletic profile.
Lalor will be a star...

Without any trades, I think the draft could go something like this:

1. Richmond – Smith
2. Brisbane – Ashcroft
3. North – Tauru – It's noted by the media that North is keen.
4. Carlton - FOS
5. Gold Coast – Lombard
6. Adelaide – Draper
7. Melbourne – Lalor
8. Richmond – Langford
9. St Kilda – Armstrong – Membray is reported to be delisted and going to the pies, and St Kilda only has 6 key position players remaining on their list after delistings.
10. Essendon – Kako – Bombers traded their first pick knowing a bid for Kako was coming before pick 9
11. St Kilda – Reid – Reid is more the offensive silky player that adds something different to what they have.
12. Melbourne – Trainor – May and McDonald are 32, then they have Lever (28) and Adams as their only listed KPDs on their list.
13. Richmond – Berry – Replaces Bolton, I don’t think Berry lasts to Richmond’s end-of-first-round picks.
14. Richmond – Smillie – Slider that drops. Would we take him if available?
15. West Coast – From Travaglia, Lindsay, Allan, Hotton
NM won't use 2 on Tauru. Talk is they are looking to trade 2 for Tigers 6 and 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want us to pick a pure mid that can run and accumulate and be good.
This. I was just thinking that we have very few prospects being developed for this role… Luke Edwards, the guy currently without a contract, Chesser (a guy who can’t accumulate even at WAFL level) and Hall, who is probably more inside.

We have needed a Gaff replacement for a few years now, and absolutely nothing had been done so far.

Id be pretty happy with any of Travaglia, Lindsay or Allan at pick 12 in that order of preference. Cant go too far wrong there.
Allan is a Yeo replacement, Travaglia fills a huge need off half back, and Lindsay is the outside class we lack.

Ideally we take a 3rd pick somewhere in the draft, if none of those other more complicated trades happen id be happy ending up with an extra pick in the 25-35 area.
Take a KPD of choice with one of the picks obviously, the other imo we should look at an outside player, wing/half back ideally regardless of who we take at 12.
Davis sounds nice, Oliver(if we dont take Travaglia), Moraes, etc take your pick.

The main thing I want is a 3rd pick, find some value in the 2nd round with it.

Id be pretty happy with any of Travaglia, Lindsay or Allan at pick 12 in that order of preference. Cant go too far wrong there.
Allan is a Yeo replacement, Travaglia fills a huge need off half back, and Lindsay is the outside class we lack.
I totally agree can't see Travaglia being available, Lindsay I really rate. Alan could be anything.

i... LIKE IT!

ndmfe6ajylk01.jpg

Remind yourself that we have Banfield in 2025 as a F/S and he looked great on a wing in the champs and in Colts at Claremont. I sense he could also play the QB role off a hbf. On top of that we also have a speedy half forward in Walley next year and Champion this year

So we get to know of positions we can pass on this year.

If Berry is there at 12, we should let him pass as an example. Clubs who know what is coming in future years have an advantage

Last edited:
Why are we so desperate to get into this years draft? The top 20 kids are mainly Victorian and could all be considered flight risks. I'd be happy to take Bo Allan and keep all of next years picks.
The optimist in me thinks with a new coach and game plan we're better off to wait this year out, give McQualter time to have a look at what we have. Our best ever centre bounce setup was Judd (3), Kerr (18), Cousins (6) and Cox (Rookie pick 28). Only 2 top 10 picks and Cuzzy was picked 8 years before Judd.
We have our Judd equivalent in Harley, have Hewett, Ginbey, Yeo, TK, Baker, Graham etc who will all roll through centre bounce. Just need to relax, add Bo Allen or TT and see how it plays out in 2025.

Why are we so desperate to get into this years draft? The top 20 kids are mainly Victorian and could all be considered flight risks. I'd be happy to take Bo Allan and keep all of next years picks.
The optimist in me thinks with a new coach and game plan we're better off to wait this year out, give McQualter time to have a look at what we have. Our best ever centre bounce setup was Judd (3), Kerr (18), Cousins (6) and Cox (Rookie pick 28). Only 2 top 10 picks and Cuzzy was picked 8 years before Judd.
We have our Judd equivalent in Harley, have Hewett, Ginbey, Yeo, TK, Baker, Graham etc who will all roll through centre bounce. Just need to relax, add Bo Allen or TT and see how it plays out in 2025.
We dont need just mids, we need everything except forwards. We can get back into the 2nd round to fill out spots we lack depth like the backline and outside mids, doesnt have to be trading our f1 for one of the top mids

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back