NFL (08/09) Super Bowl XLIII: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: (08/09) Superbowl XLIII: Arizona vs Pittsburgh

well I meant newer than me. I see chism, 11sjm and crumpler alot which is good, I see Reacher and Greenick I see as well.

Sorry if I offend this person but who is Peterbuch?

No offence taken... I normally post in the NFL Sim/Games etc sub forum...

No offence to you, but I see you only joined BigFooty recently yourself! :D

Anyways... it's good to see the NFL fan base growing in Oz regardless... I've been a fan since 1986 and was ridiculed for the first 5 or so years of my supporting... wasn't till the early 90s when I got a few mates to follow it too. Now there's fans everywhere which is great. And judging by the number of people at the Brighton Hotel alone today the passion for the game in Oz is greater then ever.

Bring on the 09 Season!!!

If only i cared about the Steelers as much as I do about the Crows, i would be a happy man.

I have a feeling I am gonna get a fresh round of towels and jumpers some time soon haha.

Oh get out of here Bandy McWagon. :mad:

I'll be there in my Steelers "Got Rings" shirt, with the pick of our 5 rings on the back - I'll be in amongst all the Burswood Steelers people.

Ah, I saw you there, just checked this though. I was looking around, wondering who the BF people may be. I was sitting on the raised area with a mate with my black #7 jersey and with a TT.

Once again if I go, I'll be the dude with horrible sun burn, long hair and a look like he wants to go in a corner and sleep.

Did you end up heading there?

I have a terrible towel now. I'll use it to bathe when Carolina win next year
I wouldn't do that if I was you:

Terrible Towel is unofficial flag for fans of Pittsburgh Steelers

2 days ago
PITTSBURGH — Viewed objectively, it's just a 40-by-58-centimetre piece of yellow terrycloth emblazoned with black writing.
No Pittsburgh Steelers fan would tolerate such a pedestrian description of the Terrible Towel.
Developed decades ago as a gimmick to get fans involved in games by the late and beloved Steelers' broadcaster Myron Cope, the Terrible Towel is waved by frenzied fans at games both home and away, turning stadiums into pulsating seas of yellow.
Over the years, the prized towel has become a symbolic flag of sorts, embracing Pittsburgh and Steelers fans, no matter how far from Heinz Field they may be.
And like a flag, Steelers fans don't like to see it disrespected.
"It's the heart and soul of Pittsburgh. Everyone around the world knows the Terrible Towel," said Debbie Blanchard, 49, of suburban Pittsburgh, who brought one of her four Terrible Towels to a Steelers pep rally in downtown Pittsburgh on Thursday. "I take it with me everywhere I go."
But lately, those not smitten with the Steelers have mistreated the Terrible Towel. They stomp on it, wipe their shoes or use it as a handkerchief.
Steelers fans say such antics can backfire.
Cincinnati Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh wiped his feet with it after scoring a touchdown in a 2005 game. The Bengals won that game, but the Steelers beat them in the playoffs and went on to win Super Bowl XL.
Baltimore Ravens receiver Derrick Mason stomped on a Terrible Towel in September. The Steelers beat the Ravens all three games this season, including in the AFC Championship to earn a berth in Super Bowl XLIII on Sunday.
And Tennessee Titans running back LenDale White and linebacker Keith Bulluck stepped on a towel after the Titans's beat the Steelers in December, but the Titans fell to Baltimore in the playoffs.

Are you not superstitious, Arizona?
On Monday, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon blew his nose into it, stomped on it and then the Cardinals' mascot wiped his armpits. Gordon later apologized.
Such behaviour inspired Randy Baumann, co-host of the morning show at Pittsburgh's WDVE-FM, to write "Don't Disrespect the Terrible Towel," in the vein of Charlie Daniels and Hank Williams Jr.
The song has an almost patriotic, don't-tread-on-me feel.
"Well don't disrespect the Terrible Towel, The curse of Cope will haunt you somehow; Well, think before you treat it like a dirty dishrag, because here in Steeler Nation, that towel's our flag," the lyrics go.
The towel has helped keep Steelers fans connected, especially since so many Pittsburghers moved elsewhere after the steel industry collapsed, Baumann said.
At a recent Steelers rally, Baumann recounted, a man in the audience grabbed his attention.
"He said, 'Hey Randy, come 'ere: I want to show you something.' He showed me a Terrible Towel and said he carried it with him through two tours of Iraq," Baumann said. "I totally believe that guy thought of that as a security blanket of sorts, and a connection to Pittsburgh."
Indeed, on WDVE's Steelers website, a section is devoted to photos of the Terrible Towel proudly displayed throughout the country and beyond: soldiers posing with towels in Iraq and Afghanistan, at Great Wall of China, atop Mount Kilimanjaro, in Antarctica and throughout Europe.
Blanchard, like many others, also knows the origin of the Terrible Towel and the charity it benefits.
Asked by broadcasting executives in 1975 to come up with a gimmick, Cope, who died last February, settled on asking fans to bring gold, yellow or black towels to wave at a game.
The towel took off and is imitated in some form by other teams.
Waving it, Cope said in a 2006 interview, could inspire "strange things" to happen to the Steelers' opponents. "The Terrible Towel has mysterious connotations. ... You have to use your imagination."
For Cope, the towel was something more. In 1996, he gave the Terrible Towel trademark to the Allegheny Valley School, a facility for the mentally handicapped. Cope's son Danny, who has autism, has lived at Allegheny Valley for more than 20 years.
Sales of the towels and related items have generated more than US$2.5 million for the school, said Dorothy Hunter Gordon, chief development officer.
"There's a whole lot more to that Terrible Towel aura than even I was willing to give credence to at the beginning," Baumann said.

Don't disrespect the towel or it will come back to haunt you...

I cant wait to hear all the goss on the BF people. How they acted in real life etc.

I hope Woodson didn't run into any fans decked out in nice new Steelers or Cardinals garb.

Somebody might have got hurt. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Woodson didn't run into any fans decked out in nice new Steelers or Cardinals garb.

Somebody might have got hurt. :D

haha, i can imagine woodson holed up somewhere in that bar interrogating people on their Steeler/Cards history.

Let it be known that Woodson was on his best behaviour today... some bloke did want to pick a fight with him early on (like 3 mins into the 1st quarter) but for the most part he was cool...

He didn't stop waving his Terrible Towel for most of the day though! :D

Let it be known that Woodson was on his best behaviour today... some bloke did want to pick a fight with him early on (like 3 mins into the 1st quarter) but for the most part he was cool...

A Cards fan? And why? Did he say something about being a bandwagoner?

I can report there was much terrible towel waving going on in Perth too, though I don't think Statsman74 participated in any.

Poor form Statsman, poor form. At least one or two of his mates made up for it. :p

A Cards fan? And why? Did he say something about being a bandwagoner?

Nah, I'm pretty sure he was a 49ers fan!

Think his t/towel hit him in the back of the head a few times!!! ;)

Take that back.... or else. :mad:

You mean like this?

slap-1.gif

Just remember, it goes both ways.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he was a 49ers fan!

Think his t/towel hit him in the back of the head a few times!!! ;)
Haha, I noticed the 49er and Cowboy fans at the Mustang were particularly fervent Cardinal backers and were particularly rude about Ben.

6 > 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back