NFL (08/09) Super Bowl XLIII: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: (08/09) Superbowl XLIII: Arizona vs Pittsburgh

Just got back from the Brighton Hotel. Was pretty packed which surprised me. I was pissed off at 95% of the people going for the Cardinals though. Why did everyone want Arizona to win? Because of ****ing Ben Graham?

why?

whats wrong with that?

i personally dont give two hoots about american sport otherwise, luc longley played for the chicago bulls in their string of championships but was he the hero?

theres a million confusing rules to american football, its certainly not a sport you can pick up and play in your own backyard

its certainly not a sport you can pick up and play in your own backyard

trust me, its very do-able to play in your backyard with just your girlfriend. jsut get her to be the center and show her how they snap the ball. hours of fun.

trust me, its very do-able to play in your backyard with just your girlfriend. jsut get her to be the center and show her how they snap the ball. hours of fun.

lmao.gif
lmao.gif

kip_yes.gif

on that last Holmes TD....two interesting things....1) the cards player extending his arm up kinda pulled it away as the ball approached....and 2) with the new rules in play this season that you can knock a player out of the sidelines as they catch it and it wouldnt be a TD/catch, those other two cards players should've just bull-rushed Holmes as he caught it, trying to knock his momentum off balance.

I've had that same thought a number of times this year (especially watching our short-arse corners)

Guess the natural instinct is to play for the ball and once you've gone up for it you momentum doesn't allow you to do it.

I've had that same thought a number of times this year (especially watching our short-arse corners)

Guess the natural instinct is to play for the ball and once you've gone up for it you momentum doesn't allow you to do it.

split second stuff on that play. i cant be TOO critical. but you see them stop and prop and THEN go for him as he's already caught it. cant fault them on that last play. just miracle stuff from Ben and Santonio.

Just really gutted how the Cardinals let that 3rd and 6 with 1:40 left get converted, then blow coverage that leads to that 40 yarder that took them to the 5 yard line.

in hindsight obviously now we can go back and count hundreds of crucial calls or plays. just madness the level of intensity in that last quarter. far more than last year's game. im honestly still hyperventilating from the tension.

The adreneline low from this match is shocking. I'm all emo.

Still shattered for the Cards and i don't even support them, I can't image what it would be like if the Cowboys had lost that one.

Their D had been their weakness and i guess it was again come crunch time. I thought after some of those Goalline stops they may have been able to hold them off.

The Steelers now jump clear of the Cowboys and the 49ers on six SB's. We'll have to pin that back next season.

another question now that the game is over....

Todd Haley, new HC of the Chiefs or Raiders?

From the news around, I've heard that Haley looks more likely at the Chiefs. Would Al like to bring in a coach that most probably would run something different than what he has in mind. There seems to be some link between Pioli and Haley, that's my two cents worth.

From the news around, I've heard that Haley looks more likely at the Chiefs. Would Al like to bring in a coach that most probably would run something different than what he has in mind. There seems to be some link between Pioli and Haley, that's my two cents worth.

it will be Chiefs probably. haley-parcells-pioli connection. raiders' cable has been interviewing assistant coaches (so surely a HC). but just on Haley not suiting the Raiders offense....actually he does. Raiders are traditionally a vertical passing team and all about explosive offense, want someone who can take Russell to the next level. Haley has a magnificent NFL/football pedigree.

Great game, although I really feel for the Cards and their fans right now. Looked like they had that game with a couple of minutes left.

Congrats to all the BF Steeler fans :thumbsu: Truly deserved the title.

Commiserations to wizard the die hard Cards fan as well. I know you're probably taking this one pretty hard, as I would be too, but your team did you proud this season. :thumbsu:

What a devestating finish to the day.
The ultimate rollercoaster ride today. Up, down, up, down, up, rock bottom.

Well done to the Steelers fans around here.

But i have to say the officiating was bloody horrilbe today. Its the same old shit every week in the NFL, they just gotta let em play the game a little bit and leave those those flags in their pants for a little while.

Cant say i'm not disappointed, but i'm really proud of my team at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it will be Chiefs probably. haley-parcells-pioli connection. raiders' cable has been interviewing assistant coaches (so surely a HC). but just on Haley not suiting the Raiders offense....actually he does. Raiders are traditionally a vertical passing team and all about explosive offense, want someone who can take Russell to the next level. Haley has a magnificent NFL/football pedigree.

Yeah, you're right about Haley having the pedigree and how he runs the offence. Russell would definitely benefit from having a HC like Haley, just saying would he get along with Al as well as Cable looks like he is. Al likes to be hands on and likes to do a lot so in terms of football decisions purely, I'm not sure Haley can work in that type of Al Davis structure. Not disagreeing on the football side of things, if the Raiders hired him they would become a better team no doubt.

Great game, although I really feel for the Cards and their fans right now. Looked like they had that game with a couple of minutes left.

Commiserations to wizard the die hard Cards fan as well. I know you're probably taking this one pretty hard, as I would be too, but your team did you proud this season. :thumbsu:
im too lazy so ill just copy what crumpler said. and delete with what i dont agree with

Regardless of the result of the call - that last fumble should have been reviewed. Unforgivable that they didn't.

Steelers deserved to win though and I think anyone that still doubts Big Ben as a QB has rocks in their head.

Congrats Steelers, bad luck Cards.

Pretty much a mirror of my thoughts.

'Cept I think it should've been an incomplete pass...

Regardless of the result, needs to be reviewed, if I was a Cards fan, I'd be pretty irate.

Mind you it didn't really matter other than a final Hail Mary play.

A Hail Mary play, may be what... 10% chance of working?? less??

A Hail Mary play with Larry Fitzgerald as a WR, I say is 50/50. MASSIVE non-call by the booth-officials.

Someone else said that it might have been reveiwed, but surely the commentators would let us know?? The coverage couldn't just let it go without saying anything...

Great to see another closely fought Superbowl after last years one. Though Steelers would run away with after grabbing that lead 20-7. Warner had another great game and he and team must be absoutlely shatted right now. A couple of strong defensive plays in the last drive could of been the difference.

Top play from Holmes, completely deserved the MVP, the catches he made during the drive and then of course the TD pass was perfect. Well Done Steelers

It will go down as one of the most thrilling Super Bowls of all time. But, as has become all too common in the NFL, an officiating controversy threatens to overshadow the stellar play on the field.

On the final Cardinals play from scrimmage, as the team was driving for a potential game-winning score, Kurt Warner turned over the ball after his arm was hit by LaMarr Woodley. The play was ruled a fumble, and it may have been. Or it may have been an incomplete pass. The problem is, there was no official replay review to take a closer look at the ruling. Instead, the Steelers got the ball, knelt down for the win and earned the sixth title in franchise history.

Frankly, it's remarkable that there was no booth challenge to review the play. It was certainly close enough to warrant a look from upstairs. In all probability, the call on the field would have been confirmed. But why not appease the masses and nip any talk of controversy in the bud? (If the call had been overturned, Arizona would have had the ball on the Pittsburgh 29-yard line, certainly close enough to have had a reasonable shot at scoring a last-second touchdown.)

It was a night marred by questionable calls, but the game managed to make everyone forget about the disparity in penalties (106 yards for the Cardinals against just 56 for the Steelers) with its thrilling finish. And then came the unreviewed call. It's especially interesting that the play went without a second look considering the Cardinals correctly challenged two plays during the game (both of which should have been easy calls on the field but were botched by the refs).

The 11 penalties whistled on Arizona included a preposterous roughing the passer penalty on a play that wouldn't have been uncommon in touch football. That came on a drive that saw two personal foul penalties on the Cards, one of which gave the Steelers another chance to score from the goal line. For the evening, 18 penalties were called, the third-most in Super Bowl history. A missed call may have proven enormous also. After Santonio Holmes' game-winning touchdown catch he did an imitation of LeBron James' chalk move. Using the ball as a prop is an automatic 15-yard penalty on the kickoff.

Officiating controversies became way too prevalent in this league this season. Ed Hochuli's premature whistle dominated headlines in the early season and a missed delay of game penalty in the divisional playoffs aided in a Baltimore Ravens win. It's too bad a great Super Bowl followed down that path and may be marred by a decision that would have been easily remedied by a simple booth review.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...t=Au3r2xesRT7bjVeDQZ8Dj1M5nYcB?urn=nfl,138123

Someone else said that it might have been reveiwed, but surely the commentators would let us know?? The coverage couldn't just let it go without saying anything...
I'm pretty sure I heard them say it had been reviewed.

didn't the commenators say they already reviewed it? I thought the commentaors said they did but don't think they would of, there wasn't much time to review it.

The should of defiantely spent more time on it but in my view I thought it was a fumble anyway.

Sorry to go off-topic, but...

You're a dick...
fair enough. That was the best Super Bowl I have ever seen.

Well done Cardinals and good work Cards fans for staying with your team for what is it 62 years of heartbreak.

I was hoping you would win so I could know that the Falcons lost to the best in the world.

a great game, and one of the classic 4th qtrs of all time. the only way it could have been topped is for the Cards to have come back and tied it, or a ridiculous Larry Fitz TD reception. great display by both teams. and the Harrison defensive TD was outstanding. an unbelievable team effort to get him into the endzone. people have to realise the enormity of that play. there was no time left on the clock for the half. a return to the 20, the 10 or even the 1yd would have been sensational, but it would have been nil in the grand scheme. in effect the steelers defense generated a 14pt turnaround right there. great call from lebeau to show blitz and then drop into coverage.

if i had stayed home and watched it on TEN, i would certainly be at harvey norman now looking for a new TV. i only had to watch 5 mins of the pregame from the AFL centric ****s to realise they'd kill the FTA coverage. in general, Australians need to get over themselves and their insecurities re our status on the world stage. Maher and Hughes?? no wonder 10 are constantly the 3rd network.

the alexandria hotel in sydney was in full voice....and had the espn feed, albeit the international feed.......still was great stuff.

fantastic game. displayed all the hallmarks of why i thoroughly enjoy this sport.

A Hail Mary play, may be what... 10% chance of working?? less??

A Hail Mary play with Larry Fitzgerald as a WR, I say is 50/50. MASSIVE non-call by the booth-officials.

it shouldve been reviewed, but nonetheless, the replays show Warner's arm wasnt travelling forward until after Woodley dislodged the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back