1.7 - Lowest score in how many years?

Remove this Banner Ad

The best part about this, is that in 2 years, we are going to beat all of you.

West Coast don't need to wait.

Lol we've been hearing that for the last 10 years. "In a couple of years we'll be a good team".

Freo 2001 - 16th, 8 years later in 2009 - 16th.

One finals victory in that time. :eek:

I know Fitzroy didn't score a point in a whole half in 1995 but in saying that, the Fremantle score was disgusting - sorry to say being a Bombers fan but must be all the former "past their Prime" Bombers in their lineup

And you base this on...

Right now Fremantle CANNOT EVEN BEAT the Detroit Lions in ANY code of football.

The Detroit Lions did score more than 13 points in some weeks! LOL I know that for a fact cos I have Calvin Johnson in my Fantasy League....LMAO

It sucks being a freo supporter. all I get is flak. We are dominated by all. Winning has become irrelevant. Losing is all we do. I hate it. More flak please. We are the most ******ed supporters of all time. We never leave. March on with your mirth. Many say there is only one winner per year. I disagree, Fremantle aim to win the spoon every year. Pity us fools.

Edited, a more credible version.

Probably the lowest score since Fitzroy kicked 1.8.14 against North at Princes Park a couple of decades back.

EDIT: I lie.

The game I mentioned was in 1989 (Carey's first game too I think), but in 1991, Carlton kicked 1.10.16 at the Western Oval v Footscray. If I remember rightly, Mark Arceri kicked their only goal of the day with a minute left to play.

I was there for that game - indeed Carey's first in blue and white.

Awful day. Best bit was me and my mate were 15 but they served us beers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was this game on free-to-air? Doesn;'t seem like it otherwise there would be more hoopla around it.
Agree fully. I admit I did not see that much shock when i first read of Fremantle’s low score. I had seen for a long time how scores had overall declined since the last scores of one goal in 1989 and 1991: there has been only one 200-point score since 1995 whereas between 1987 and 1993 there were a total of thirteen double century scores.

Also, I recall St. Kilda kicking 3.10 against Collingwood in 2002 and saying to myself that on conditions like those experienced during the 1989 and 1991 winters (as opposed to the indoor game at Docklands) the St. Kilda softies of 2000 to 2002 would have been held goalless game after game - I imagined even scoreless. Their total lack of commitment and pressure was bad enough in indoor football - on a mudheap it would have made them as bad as the St. Kilda teams of 100 years ago or worse if that’s possible!

However, when I actually had a look at in Rogers Results, how Fremantle kicked only one goal seems much more amazing. From 1992 to 2008, there was no score of even two goals, and if we go back as far as 1913 there had been only sixteen scores of 0 or 1 goal in 96 years, with 1989 alone having multiple occurrences. That is less than one-thousandth of all scores between 1913 and Round 14 of 2009 have had fewer than two goals. So it stands as an incredible occurrence that perhaps should have been documented better - the 1989 and 1991 cases certainly were headlines on radio and in news.

Agree fully. I admit I did not see that much shock when i first read of Fremantle’s low score. I had seen for a long time how scores had overall declined since the last scores of one goal in 1989 and 1991: there has been only one 200-point score since 1995 whereas between 1987 and 1993 there were a total of thirteen double century scores.

Also, I recall St. Kilda kicking 3.10 against Collingwood in 2002 and saying to myself that on conditions like those experienced during the 1989 and 1991 winters (as opposed to the indoor game at Docklands) the St. Kilda softies of 2000 to 2002 would have been held goalless game after game - I imagined even scoreless. Their total lack of commitment and pressure was bad enough in indoor football - on a mudheap it would have made them as bad as the St. Kilda teams of 100 years ago or worse if that’s possible!

However, when I actually had a look at in Rogers Results, how Fremantle kicked only one goal seems much more amazing. From 1992 to 2008, there was no score of even two goals, and if we go back as far as 1913 there had been only sixteen scores of 0 or 1 goal in 96 years, with 1989 alone having multiple occurrences. That is less than one-thousandth of all scores between 1913 and Round 14 of 2009 have had fewer than two goals. So it stands as an incredible occurrence that perhaps should have been documented better - the 1989 and 1991 cases certainly were headlines on radio and in news.

And youre only 12 months late with that information :rolleyes:

It must have taken a while to look it all up.
It actually took me to find the Rogers Results site to realise that a score of two goals - let alone one - had not ocurred in eighteen years or three thousand three hundred and six AFL games. The previous longest spell without a score of two or fewer goals was one thousand two hundred and sixteen VFL games between late 1934 and early 1946, so the difference is immense. In the SANFL there was no score of two or fewer goals between the opening round of 1926 and late 1949, but that non-occurrence totalled merely one thousand four hundred and eighty four games because:
  1. there were only eight clubs
  2. I am excluding the wartime competition of 1942 to 1944 where the clubs combined due to loss of players thus:
    1. Port Adelaide combined with West Torrens
    2. Norwood combined with North Adelaide
    3. West Adelaide combined with Glenelg
    4. South Adelaide combined with Sturt
Once I had discovered how remarkable Fremantle’s score was and how little discussion there seemed to be in the press, I felt I had to turn here.

Interesting that in round 16, Brisbane only scored 7.1 (43) for the entire game against the Hawks. Not a lot different apart from the accuracy flattering them on the scoreboard!

Interesting that in round 16, Brisbane only scored 7.1 (43) for the entire game against the Hawks. Not a lot different apart from the accuracy flattering them on the scoreboard!
Of course it is. A team under harsh pressure from a top-line defence would be unlikely to convert seven of eight scoring chances! If a team is under pressure every time it kicks the ball anywhere on the ground one can hardly expect it to kick goals with most of its scoring shots.

In contrast, a team deprived of the ball could easily score quite well - in a famous game from 1978 St. Kilda had only something like 240 disposals to Footscray’s 390 and still kicked sixteen goals. I haven’t checked, but Brisbane may be a case like that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

1.7 - Lowest score in how many years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back