AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact he’s Vice Captain material speaks volumes about where the club is at imo. Leadership starts on the field first

See post from naraku below and it is right. Feels like year on year we get to the latter stages of the year, in the mix for finals and we are questioning McGrath's capabilities. How good is he? why does he continue to make same basic skills errors? why do we persist? etc etc.

We know he is a number 1, but geez it makes it hard to keep a pin in the grenade with vintage performances like that last night

HFBNC.jpg

wonder if the AFL would allow him to wear these ?

My boy struggling alittle but he will turn it around.

Seems like he has been given more kicking responsibility which always leads to his **** ups.

Just let him lock down and supply by hand to the kickers in Redman and Risley
redman was shocking on friday, he was as poor with his handballs as Mckay, pretty sure he gave a direct goal to crows with a weak handball to Kelly. Andy had an off night but overall has a had a solid season, redman on the other hand looks like he is carrying a niggle, has been hot and cold all year.

I also have a slightly hot take with rids too, He needs to take control of the backline like a Tom Stewart. He always takes the least risky kick when kicking out of D50 but sometimes that means he is giving off a short pass to one of our myriad of bad decision makers in the backline. I sometimes wish he would take the risky long kick like redman/martin do and set up the play, he has the best kick of the lot of them but doesnt really use it as a weapon. Just wish there was a bit of a middle ground between his safeplay and martins roll the dice kicks.

redman was shocking on friday, he was as poor with his handballs as Mckay, pretty sure he gave a direct goal to crows with a weak handball to Kelly. Andy had an off night but overall has a had a solid season, redman on the other hand looks like he is carrying a niggle, has been hot and cold all year.

I also have a slightly hot take with rids too, He needs to take control of the backline like a Tom Stewart. He always takes the least risky kick when kicking out of D50 but sometimes that means he is giving off a short pass to one of our myriad of bad decision makers in the backline. I sometimes wish he would take the risky long kick like redman/martin do and set up the play, he has the best kick of the lot of them but doesnt really use it as a weapon. Just wish there was a bit of a middle ground between his safeplay and martins roll the dice kicks.

Agreed. We became far less dangerous out of the backline when he returned. Retention based football does not work without good forwards that can win ball in congestion.

Can't believe we signed him to a 6 year contract...................
Thankfully the club kept Dodoro around for the one thing he's good at.

McGrath 6 years
Stewart 2 years and delisted after 1
Smith the same, from memory?

He's great at that part of the job though, because he signed Parish to 5 sorry 6 years when nobody else wanted him.

Just absolutely goes to water under pressure doesn't he? Has improved in a few ways (albeit often in patches) but the one constant is that under real heat and pressure he wilts like spinach in hot water. I accept that he's a disappointing #1 pick and we are clearly stuck with him for the rest of his career, but I have real concerns over him being our Vice Captain (or god forbid taking over captaincy post-Merrett). I don't really care what he's like off the field or how well he speaks or how good a family he comes from, his lack of genuine leadership on field when things get tough is reason enough to keep him away from any official leadership position at the club. It's reflective of everything Essington for the past 20 years and we need to move the hell away from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back