NFL (10/11) Super Bowl XLV: Green Bay Packers vs Pittsburgh Steelers

Remove this Banner Ad

sb45.png
PACKERS 31 d. STEELERS 25

Game Summary

After the first three drives of the game ended with punts, Green Bay opened up the scoring with Aaron Rodgers' 29-yard touchdown pass to Jordy Nelson, who managed to pull slightly ahead of cornerback William Gay enough to make a leaping catch and fall into the end zone. Then on the first play after the ensuing kickoff, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was hit by Howard Green as he threw a pass, causing the ball to go well short of his intended target near the left sideline where it was intercepted by Nick Collins and returned 37 yards for a touchdown, giving Green Bay a 14–0 lead. This score continued the streak of Super Bowl victories recorded by teams scoring on an interception runback. They are now 11–0 in such games. Also it was the third consecutive Super Bowl with an interception return for a touchdown, as well as the eighth such score in the last ten Super Bowls.[30]

This time Pittsburgh managed to respond, driving 49 yards in 13 plays including Roethlisberger's 18-yard run on 3rd down and 9. Shaun Suisham finished the drive with a 33-yard field goal to cut the score to 14–3. Then after forcing a punt, the Steelers drove to midfield, but turned the ball over again when Roethlisberger's pass was intercepted by defensive back Jarrett Bush at the 47. Then Rodgers led the Packers to another score, completing two passes for 20 yards before James Starks' 12-yard run moved the ball to the 21-yard line. On the next play, Green Bay increased their lead to 21–3 with Rodgers' 21-yard touchdown pass to Greg Jennings. Taking the ball back with 2:24 left in the second quarter, Roethlisberger made a 37-yard completion to Antwaan Randle El on their first play. After that, receiver Hines Ward caught 3 passes for 39 yards on the drive, the last one an 8-yard touchdown catch with 37 seconds left in the half, making the score 21–10 at halftime. This was the fourth time in their four 2011 postseason games that the Packers finished the first half with a lead of at least 11 points. The first half had taken a heavy toll on both teams. The Steelers lost receiver Emmanuel Sanders to injury, while the Packers lost receiver Donald Driver along with defensive backs Charles Woodson and Sam Shields. Shields would be the only player among them who would return.

Pittsburgh's defense forced Green Bay to punt on the first drive of the second half, and got the ball at midfield after a facemask call on Tom Crabtree while tackling Antonio Brown on the punt return. The offense then scored in five plays (all runs). First Rashard Mendenhall broke free along with right sideline for a 17-yard run, then Isaac Redman rushed for 3 yards, and Roethlisberger ran for 6, bringing up third down and 1. On the next play, Redman tried to run up the middle, but was held up at the line, so he backed away and ran to the outside for a 16-yard gain to the 8-yard line. Then Mendenhall scored an 8-yard touchdown run on the next play, making the score 21–17. After forcing a punt, Pittsburgh mounted a drive to the Packers 29-yard line, but Green Bay's defense made a stand. First Roethlisberger's pass was batted down behind the line by linebacker Clay Matthews, then Roethlisberger tried a screen pass to tight end Heath Miller, but Desmond Bishop tackled him for a 3-yard loss. Then on third down Frank Zombo sacked Roethlisberger on the 34, and Suisham's ensuing 52-yard field goal attempt sailed wide left.[31]

On the first play of the fourth quarter, the Steelers lost their third turnover of the game when Mendenhall fumbled the ball while being tackled behind the line by Matthews. Bishop recovered the ball and returned it 7 yards to the Packers 45. Five plays later on third down and 10, Rodgers completed a 38-yard pass to Nelson at the Steelers 2-yard line. Pittsburgh linebacker LaMarr Woodley sacked Rodgers for a 6-yard loss on the next play, but Rodgers threw an 8-yard touchdown pass to Jennings after that, increasing the Packers lead to 28–17. Roethlisberger led the Steelers right back with 6 of 7 completions. After a 9-yard pass to tight end Matt Spaeth, he threw three completions to receiver Mike Wallace for 27 yards to the Green Bay 40-yard line. Then after a 15-yard completion to Ward, he finished the drive with a 25-yard touchdown pass to Wallace. On the two-point conversion play, Roethlisberger faked a handoff to Mendenhall and ran up to the line before pitching the ball to Randle El, who scored on an outside sweep, cutting the Steelers deficit to 3 points at 28–25.

Green Bay took the ball back with just over 7 minutes left, and found themselves facing third down and 10 after two plays, but Rodgers kept the drive going with a 31-yard completion to Jennings over the middle. Starks then ran 14 yards to the Steelers 30. Two plays later, James Jones caught a 21-yard pass at the 8. The Steelers defense kept Green Bay out of the end zone, causing them to settle for Mason Crosby's 23-yard field goal that gave Green Bay a 31–25 lead with 2:07 left in regulation.[32]

Pittsburgh got the ball back on their own 13-yard line following a penalty on the kickoff. On their first play, Roethlisberger completed a 15-yard pass to Miller. But after a 5-yard reception by Ward, his next three passes were incomplete, turning the ball over and allowing the Packers to run out the rest of the clock.[32]

Nelson was the top receiver of the game with 9 receptions for 140 yards (both career highs) and a touchdown,[33] while also gaining 19 more yards on a kick return, all despite 3 dropped passes. Jennings added 64 yards and 2 touchdowns. Roethlisberger completed 25 of 40 passes for 263 yards and two touchdowns, with 2 interceptions, and ran for 31 yards. His top target was Wallace, who caught 9 passes for 89 yards and a score. Mendenhall was the top rusher of the game with 64 yards and a touchdown.[34]

Scoring Drives

1 3:51 Green Bay Packers Touchdown (Nelson 29 yard pass from Rodgers); PAT good 4:33 0 7
1 3:34 Green Bay Packers Interception for Touchdown (Collins 37 yard return); PAT good — 0 14
2 11:53 Pittsburgh Steelers Field Goal (Suisham, 33 yards) 7:12 3 14
2 2:31 Green Bay Packers Touchdown (Jennings 21 yard pass from Rodgers); PAT good 2:04 3 21
2 0:39 Pittsburgh Steelers Touchdown (Ward 8 yard pass from Roethlisberger); PAT good 1:45 10 21
Half Time Score 10 21
3 10:22 Pittsburgh Steelers Touchdown (Mendenhall 8 yard run); PAT good 2:20 17 21
4 12:03 Green Bay Packers Touchdown (Jennings 8 yard pass from Rodgers); PAT good 2:53 17 28
4 7:34 Pittsburgh Steelers Touchdown (Wallace 25 yard pass from Roethlisberger); 2-point conversion good (Randle El run) 4:23 25 28
4 2:07 Green Bay Packers Field Goal (Crosby, 23 yards) 5:27 25 31

Final Score: 25-31

Super Bowl XLV: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Green Bay Packers

The AFC's Pittsburgh Steelers face off against the NFC's Green Bay Packers.

Discussion, tips, predictions...

*Mods - please add poll if possible, and edit the spelling in the title.

Re: Superbowl XLV: Piitsburgh Steelers (2) vs Green Bay Packers (6)

Obviously going for a Packer victory and Aaron Rodgers MVP.

Got the boardroom booked out at work for the game and my work colleague is a Steelers fan so it could get interesting considering beer is being supplied.

I don't know who I'm going for

if Aussiedude can keep his mouth shut, I'd love to see Green Bay win
but if we're gonna have to put up with his shit, then I want Pittsburgh to pulverise Green Bay 35-0 or something

though, I just think Green Bay will be too good indoors. If Pouncey is out, the interior running at Pittsburgh could really get disrupted badly by Raji, and with Mathews, Hawk and Woodson patrolling the edge, Mendenhall better be ready to be pass blocking all game.

Rodgers might be restricted from being the dual threat quarterback, but he's still a very good pocket passer, and beyond Polamalu, I just don't rate the rest of the Steeler secondary, Jennings has the speed to make plays, Driver has the physicality to help out both as a receiver, but also as a blocker up field, Jones is a good receiver too

Green Bay will just be too good IMHO, Green Bay to win 27-14 (would be higher, but it's a fact that with the time to prepare, defences ALWAYS perform on the bigger stages, and offences get shut down, if this was week 17, I'd go Green Bay 42-24)

Oh, and 1 more prediction, this year is the NFC team to choose what guersey they wear, I predict Green Bay will go with their white guersey becaues they've worn and won in white, this whole offseason so far.

I don't know who I'm going for

if Aussiedude can keep his mouth shut, I'd love to see Green Bay win
but if we're gonna have to put up with his shit, then I want Pittsburgh to pulverise Green Bay 35-0 or something

though, I just think Green Bay will be too good indoors. If Pouncey is out, the interior running at Pittsburgh could really get disrupted badly by Raji, and with Mathews, Hawk and Woodson patrolling the edge, Mendenhall better be ready to be pass blocking all game.

Rodgers might be restricted from being the dual threat quarterback, but he's still a very good pocket passer, and beyond Polamalu, I just don't rate the rest of the Steeler secondary, Jennings has the speed to make plays, Driver has the physicality to help out both as a receiver, but also as a blocker up field, Jones is a good receiver too

Green Bay will just be too good IMHO, Green Bay to win 27-14 (would be higher, but it's a fact that with the time to prepare, defences ALWAYS perform on the bigger stages, and offences get shut down, if this was week 17, I'd go Green Bay 42-24)

Oh, and 1 more prediction, this year is the NFC team to choose what guersey they wear, I predict Green Bay will go with their white guersey becaues they've worn and won in white, this whole offseason so far.

the more you want me to shut up the more it makes me want to piss you off. and the less i care what you think.

I think Packers will have the edge in this. Particularly if Maurkice Pouncey is not fit for the Steelers. He is the glue of that O line. Really did deserve his pro-bowl spot. As you could see from how our O faltered once he went down. Fingers crossed he gets up for the game.

This is going to be a long 2 weeks ahead....

the more you want me to shut up the more it makes me want to piss you off. and the less i care what you think.
Can you at least do a basic English course in the next 2 weeks, so we can understand what you're bragging about in 2 weeks time?

i dont need to brag, i think the packers have proven that they deserve to be there and it will be a good close game but i doubt it will be a shoot out. it will be won by who's D can get the most stops.

Unless you make me i wont need to have any rants, i respect the steelers, i dont like all the players but i respect the team and franchise. so with the Jets done for the season i wont need to go an a rant

can we not have the Super Bowl thread ruined by Riggy and his shit please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if I I'm going to watch this since I absolutely hate both teams. Hopefully the games called off and it's declared a draw.

Going for the Packs, but think the Steelers will win. They have been on the big stage before - they know how to get it done

Pittsburgh by 7.
I want Big Ben to get his 3rd. Underrated, people sell him short he's a legend of the game. :thumbsu:
MVP Clay Matthews :eek:
But if Pouncey doesn't play the Packers will win.

Last time these two played Big ben threw for 503 yards and 3 tds.

early tip, Steelers 24-21

but that may change in the next week or so
A year ago, at Heinz Field, and the Steelers won by a point. Rodgers threw for 383 and 3 TDs as well.

Needless to say I don't see this game going anything like that.

Pack by a TD.

A true football fan right here.
What's so bad about not watching a game from teams you hate in this case?
If you had work on a Monday, and the 2 teams you hated the most palyed each other, would you ditch your plans to watch the Superbowl?

I for one, wouldn't ditch any plans to watch San Diego vs Dallas.

ps - the Monday factor is the only reason I see it as acceptable, if weagles fan has no plans at all, then it's unnacceptable to miss the superbowl

St Kilda and Collingwood are the 2 teams I hate the most, but I still watched both grand finals last year, and enjoyed every last minute of the 1st game :D:D:D:thumbsu:

Won't be cheering for one team in particular - actually pretty happy these are the teams from each conference that made it (as the Jags missed the playoffs of course).

Will be hoping for a Green Bay victory. I think it will be a close battle and I'm thinking we will see the first Superbowl go to overtime with the Packers running out 27-23 winners.

Hate the Steelers but will also have to put up with the gloating from my Packer mate if they win. I must say the least intrest I've had in a Superbowl since Superbowl XL.

can we not have the Super Bowl thread ruined by Riggy and his shit please?

I agree. GG needs to do something, everyones jack of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL (10/11) Super Bowl XLV: Green Bay Packers vs Pittsburgh Steelers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back