Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Disappointed the media team didn't jump at the chance to ask Brayshaw to identify a Taylor Swift song during that 17 minute interview though
Surely Cruel Summer would be the pick after the last couple of months?

Where exactly do you recall that from? The general consensus was he extended an already existing contract because he was taking a pay cut. I've not read anywhere about him being on 700k this year, can you share where you found that?
maybe I'm confusing TMAc with Ben Brown. Was it Brown that was on the big contract?

I did elaborate on it further in the next post after that, I said he should have been suspended. My argument was against it being an intentional dog act, not that he should have escaped a suspension. Players get suspended for accidents all the time.
No worries mate. Like I said, you tend to elaborate on your POV well. I just don't like the 'you didn't play the sport' argument. It was an incident that divided the whole AFL. I don't think there's a right or wrong side tbh. The AFL have changed the ruling so an incident like it will be a suspension. But I don't think you need to have played footy to have an opinion either way. I understand emotions get heightened too around finals and a player from your team getting knocked out. Fingers crossed the club finds a job for him.

maybe I'm confusing TMAc with Ben Brown. Was it Brown that was on the big contract?

TMac was already contracted and then extended further with the general consensus being that was a renegotiation to lower and spread out his payments.

Brown turned down 700k a year from North, then they said they didn't want him and he ended up being traded to us for (basically) pick 30ish so I'd be surprised if he was on 700k but you never know I suppose.

imagerender

A long lasting image for me regarding Angus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I haven't really written my Gus eulogy yet.
I've had a very love hate relationship with Gus. Hated some of the footy he played over the journey, from the long kicking HBF who's only move was 55m over the top to Garlett, to moving inside and become a high disposal midfielder, to moving out the be an unselfish winger who worked better back than forward, to the AA level HBF who then for some stupid reason was moved back inside again to become a defensive tackling machine.
The only position he didn't play is one I actually wanted to see him in which was a resting FF. He had the one on one ability to rest forward like a Ricciuto back in the day

Even though all my anger was directed towards him, he clearly moved around so much to do what he could for the team and him doing that helped us win a flag.

From that stupid tilted head, to running the slowest arc ever just to kick a left foot ball on the full Christ he made wanna kick me tv a few times.

With all that I didn't think he'd play 50 games early on after his concussions, I reckon he was more suited to footy in the 90s and 2000s than now but he would have been a 250 game player without the knocks so that's a hell of a career

Now get rid of the tattoo's and put Tom Bugg in it somewhere.
1000007092.jpg

I'm not on my pc at the moment, so you get the crappiest finger drawn arm and collaging imaginable. Enjoy

Worst thing about kingys little cry speech about making all bans even longer now is until the Maynard incident correct me if I'm wrong but did Gus even have concussion from a bump? Weren't they accidental head clashes, and one was even a footy kicked into his head off the ground in the VFL.

Same with Paddy McCartin, none of his came from bumps or tackles they came from marking contests

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back