Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not saying he hasn't. I have high hopes for him, I'm just asking for the instances in which he's shown footy IQ
Okay. For argument's sake I'll bite and say that later in the year in the VFL Zane was getting possessions like they were giving them away. To me that is a pretty good indicator of football smarts - when an undersized, raw, draftee is picking it up at will.

Okay. For argument's sake I'll bite and say that later in the year in the VFL Zane was getting possessions like they were giving them away. To me that is a pretty good indicator of football smarts - when an undersized, raw, draftee is picking it up at will.
That's a fair point too. I don't watch much VFL so you have me covered there

Fair enough, I'll concede that.

Next step is to know how to do it inside 50. He's talented when he gets it but that's no use when you go missing in your favoured position. Time on his side, but sometimes he'd be on the field and you would not notice him at all. I also don't know if he was the right pick, and it is grating seeing Watson do what he does, but there must be a way to use him well. Be hard pushed to have his attributes and not make a career of it.
Limited i50s and he was usually the fifth banana behind Larkey, Zurhaar, Curtis and Ford.

I reckon he finds his place as a quasi CHF like Zurhaar used to play and will end up being involved with an absurd amount of scores.

That's a fair point too. I don't watch much VFL so you have me covered there
I don't watch a lot but I keep an eye and read the reports, there were a few games he was getting numbers our 21 year old mids in waiting would be dreaming of, really promising signs. Anyway, back to Road Runner.

don't mind me, just fantasising about caleb daniel releasing this bloke to the wing/midfield and what he could do forward of centre next year.

20+ goals from the wing a chance?

don't mind me, just fantasising about caleb daniel releasing this bloke to the wing/midfield and what he could do forward of centre next year.

20+ goals from the wing a chance?
Just imagine the ball movement.

How many goals will involve the chain Daniel > McKercher > Sheezel.

Don't think that I'm more excited to watch any single player than Kerch next year.
I could definitely see that. It will all depend on what he can put on size and fitness wise but he looks a machine when it comes to running. He's already a bit of a weapon, if he puts on size easily he will be extremely dangerous very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I watch of the 2024 draft crop, the more I appreciate Colby McKercher.

He would have been a clear standout in this year's draft, and without a Harley Reid to be compared to, Colby would have received his own hyperbolic generational tags.

Colby is just an awesome midfielder who ticked literally every single box last year with ball in hand. You'd have to watch Jagga Smith highlights on 1.5x speed to replicate the Colby McKercher experience.

There's no doubt in my mind he'll be a phenomenal player, and I'm excited to see him in a Mid/Fwd role next year.

So strike a line through Dylan Stephens?

He can join his buddy Zac in the VFL. Caleb has taken his hb role.

Dyl clearly already needs to find a level of improvement to lock his spot into the best 22 as seen by his time between the VFL & AFL this year.

I really hope that Colby can develop into a similar player to McCluggage in terms of the outside mid tools with a hint of inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back