Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon a lot of the players on your list aren't rated at all such as Bruce, Kosi and Davey who you are right about he is as soft as. I think you are wrong about Goddard and Thomas they are both Guns IMO. As for Didak not my favourite player but he was hampered by an interupted pre-season last year and better players than Didak have struggled with inadequete preparation. Wells had a good season last year and if he can back up again this year he'll be starting to earn the wraps he had put on him earlier in his career.

Good post apart from Goddard IMO, not saying he isn't a gun but most were speaking of him as the second coming after the 2010 season, Sheahan had him at 2 post season iirc lol, that's severly overrated, the bloke's a HB and has never shown form in any postion except HB on a consistant basis, some 'experts' were saying he could be the best player in any postion he chose, 70 goals from a fwd pkt etc etc lol, IMO he's the most over-rated player in the history of the game, that isn't his fault though, as i said, he's a gun, probably the best HB in the comp, but gee, he would struggle to make my top 30.

Didak's hated lke Milne, mostly only Collingwood people rate dids, at his best there isn't many better as a Fwd-Mid combo player, he isn't the most physical player going around but anyone who can average 25 disposals with his kicking skills and kick 40 goals has to be rated very highly.

2. judd (was great once, but is now going downhill at an alarming rate)

This is one very weird statement. Judd probably just came off his best season for the Blues. MVP winner, red hot Brownlow favourite, All Australian. Pulled his team over the line time and again. Did you actually see much of Juddy this year mate, or you've been hanging on BF most of the time? Really, what a bizarre comment.

IMO he is one of those players who enters the AFL with a developed body and everything and I don't think there is that much improvement left in him

Yeah because going from his debut season of 20 touches a game and kicking 11 goals to averaging 22 touches a game but kicking 3 times as many goals (33) and winning a number of games for us off his own boot showed he had little scope for improvement ey? All this after the coach having a word to him about his fitness in the preseason. This year he's much fitter and looks a physical specimen.

Martin is already playing at a very high level so early in his career and is Joel Selwood mk2. Will keep chugging along nicely. He's no Daniel Rich. Proof will be in the pudding.

Yeah because going from his debut season of 20 touches a game and kicking 11 goals to averaging 22 touches a game but kicking 3 times as many goals (33) and winning a number of games for us off his own boot showed he had little scope for improvement ey? All this after the coach having a word to him about his fitness in the preseason. This year he's much fitter and looks a physical specimen.

Martin is already playing at a very high level so early in his career and is Joel Selwood mk2. Will keep chugging along nicely. He's no Daniel Rich. Proof will be in the pudding.
Happy to be proven wrong...............

10. ben reid
9. callan ward
8. harry o'brien
7. cyril rioli
6. josh gibson
5. ryan griffen
4. todd goldstein
3. eddie betts
2. robert murphy (luke darcy strikes again!!!):eek:
1. ALAN DIDAK

You should watch more than just Bombers games, can not believe Zaharakis is not number 1 on your list, if there is any overrated players is the comp its him:eek:

This is one very weird statement. Judd probably just came off his best season for the Blues. MVP winner, red hot Brownlow favourite, All Australian. Pulled his team over the line time and again. Did you actually see much of Juddy this year mate, or you've been hanging on BF most of the time? Really, what a bizarre comment.
except in the most important match against west coast

Cloke
Rioli
O'Brien
Judd
Palmer
Scully
Corey
Gibbs
Dangerfield
Martin

In no order

Why do you think Cloke's overrated?, did you miss the prelim? he's the best power fwd in the comp, and by a long way too, don't consider Buddy to be a power fwd, he's a better overall player than Cloke but Cloke's better overhead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post apart from Goddard IMO, not saying he isn't a gun but most were speaking of him as the second coming after the 2010 season, Sheahan had him at 2 post season iirc lol, that's severly overrated, the bloke's a HB and has never shown form in any postion except HB on a consistant basis, some 'experts' were saying he could be the best player in any postion he chose, 70 goals from a fwd pkt etc etc lol, IMO he's the most over-rated player in the history of the game, that isn't his fault though, as i said, he's a gun, probably the best HB in the comp, but gee, he would struggle to make my top 30.

Didak's hated lke Milne, mostly only Collingwood people rate dids, at his best there isn't many better as a Fwd-Mid combo player, he isn't the most physical player going around but anyone who can average 25 disposals with his kicking skills and kick 40 goals has to be rated very highly.

lol
im pretty sure he had a consistent 2009 and 2010...making AA twice...putting him in the top 22 twice..are you sure your thinking straight?

Cloke
Rioli
O'Brien
Judd
Palmer
Scully
Corey
Gibbs
Dangerfield
Martin

In no order
Cloke,the best forward in the country,and Martin the best young mid who wasn't even fully fit last year,and you've thrown in Judd,a dual brownlow medalist for good measure.Can i have some of what your smoking,i'll pay anything for it.Wish there was a rolling on the floor laughing smily,but this will do:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

lol
im pretty sure he had a consistent 2009 and 2010...making AA twice...putting him in the top 22 twice..are you sure your thinking straight?

Many were saying he could be the best player in any postion he chose, one well respected journo said he would kick 70+ goals as a permanent foward, if that isn't overrated i don't know what is, i'm not blaming Goddard for other people opinions, he's a wonderfull player who IMO is the best HB in the game, but being the best HB in the comp doesn't mean you're a top 30 player.

It is important to understand that there are 2 factors involved in determining whether a player is "over-rated". First it is necessary to consider how high the player is actually rated generally by the football community. So, for example, the fact that Judd won the MVP award and was the favorite for the Brownlow, confirms that he is the highest rated player in the competition. [This does not mean he is the best player in the competition - a matter of subjective impression - just that objectively he is rated the best.]

The second step is to make a subjective assessment of what you personally think of a player. [So, for example, I think Judd is the best player in the competition.] Opinions will necessarily differ, although not by much among sensible football followers.

Finally in order to determine which players are the most over-rated it is necessary to synthesise those two factors. It is not at all clear what methodology (if any) that posters are using. It is possible that someone might regard Judd as the 5th best player in the competition. In that case he is over-rated by 4 places, but they are 4 important places. If Kade Simpson is rated, say the 25th best player in the competition and one thinks he is, say, the 30th best player in the competition then he is over-rated by 5 places.

Does this make him more over-rated than Judd? Or, is the fact that Judd being over-rated by a factor of 5 make him more over-rated than Simpson? I do wish posters would make explicit the methodology they are using so that we can make sense out of their, no doubt, well researched and otherwise informative opinions.

Eddie Betts?

Averaging 43 goals a season for the past 3 years, pretty good for a small forward. Davis has never kicked more than that in a season.

You might hate him, but he aint overrated. Try and name another small forward who can put a strong case to being better than him but is rated less than him.

Eddie Betts?

Averaging 43 goals a season for the past 3 years, pretty good for a small forward. Davis has never kicked more than that in a season.

You might hate him, but he aint overrated. Try and name another small forward who can put a strong case to being better than him but is rated less than him.
Your right about that, IMO very underated.

PLUS:
Eddie Betts:

2009: 2nd in Total Goal Assists in AFL. 38 goals himself.
2010: 1st in Total Goal Assists in AFL. 42 goals himself.
2011: 5th in Total Goal Assists in AFL. 50 goals himself

Quite a handy small forward resume.

Maybe he's even underrated!

Suppose i should do my own, sorry about numerous posts.

No particular order.
Im not saying theyre shit, just overrated

Dale Thomas. (Good but not elite yet as many suggest, i think some are blinded by the flash)
Tom Scully. (Hasn't shown enough to warrant the hype and pay)
Robert Murphy. (Never really been able to see what is so special about him)
Luke Hodge. (I think his kick is severly overrated, gonna cop crap for this i bet)
Jonathon Brown. (Has been celebrated as Brisbane's best for far too long, IMO Black has been consistently a better player)
Nick Maxwell. (Just a shit player)
Cyril Rioli. (I like what he could become a lot, but right now just hasn't put it on the field consistently enough for the hype surrounding him)
Chris Dawes. (Not very much hype, but enough to claim he's overrated, doesn't quite kick as many goals as he should).
Callan Ward. (Has shown nothing to me).
Jarrad Waite. (Thought i should pick the most overrated blue in my opinion, talented and athletic, but he frustrates the shit out of me, dumb ass!)

Suppose i should do my own, sorry about numerous posts.

No particular order.
Im not saying theyre shit, just overrated

Dale Thomas. (Good but not elite yet as many suggest, i think some are blinded by the flash)
Tom Scully. (Hasn't shown enough to warrant the hype and pay)
Robert Murphy. (Never really been able to see what is so special about him)
Luke Hodge. (I think his kick is severly overrated, gonna cop crap for this i bet)
Jonathon Brown. (Has been celebrated as Brisbane's best for far too long, IMO Black has been consistently a better player)
Nick Maxwell. (Just a shit player)
Cyril Rioli. (I like what he could become a lot, but right now just hasn't put it on the field consistently enough for the hype surrounding him)
Chris Dawes. (Not very much hype, but enough to claim he's overrated, doesn't quite kick as many goals as he should).
Callan Ward. (Has shown nothing to me).
Jarrad Waite. (Thought i should pick the most overrated blue in my opinion, talented and athletic, but he frustrates the shit out of me, dumb ass!)

I think some in the media went a bit overboard regarding Thomas this year, but shit, he was hard not to like, probably the best true wingman in the comp ATM and is as tough as they come, superb player, not top 10 yet though, but comfortably top 20 IMO.

Dawes is severly overrated ATM, especially by most Collingwood fans.

PLUS:
Eddie Betts:

2009: 2nd in Total Goal Assists in AFL. 38 goals himself.
2010: 1st in Total Goal Assists in AFL. 42 goals himself.
2011: 5th in Total Goal Assists in AFL. 50 goals himself

Quite a handy small forward resume.

Maybe he's even underrated!

Betts is hated more than underrated, just like Milne and Didak, he's an elite small fwd and the numbers prove it, i actually think he's one of the most underrated players in the comp.

It is important to understand that there are 2 factors involved in determining whether a player is "over-rated". First it is necessary to consider how high the player is actually rated generally by the football community. So, for example, the fact that Judd won the MVP award and was the favorite for the Brownlow, confirms that he is the highest rated player in the competition. [This does not mean he is the best player in the competition - a matter of subjective impression - just that objectively he is rated the best.]

The second step is to make a subjective assessment of what you personally think of a player. [So, for example, I think Judd is the best player in the competition.] Opinions will necessarily differ, although not by much among sensible football followers.

Finally in order to determine which players are the most over-rated it is necessary to synthesise those two factors. It is not at all clear what methodology (if any) that posters are using. It is possible that someone might regard Judd as the 5th best player in the competition. In that case he is over-rated by 4 places, but they are 4 important places. If Kade Simpson is rated, say the 25th best player in the competition and one thinks he is, say, the 30th best player in the competition then he is over-rated by 5 places.

Does this make him more over-rated than Judd? Or, is the fact that Judd being over-rated by a factor of 5 make him more over-rated than Simpson? I do wish posters would make explicit the methodology they are using so that we can make sense out of their, no doubt, well researched and otherwise informative opinions.

It's BF mate, apparently Judd is now overrated because of his last month of football, the guy could hardly run lol and wasn't anywhere near 100% fit, but that doesn't matter on BF, all's that matters is who was BOG in the GF, FTR, anyone saying Judd is overrated is an imbecile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back