Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how people can call Rioli and Naitanui overrated. Surely all the hype is they are just young players showing a ton of potential. They are not rated, particularly not Naitanui. They are never talked about in with the top players of the game. Overrated - They are not. Exciting - Yes they are.

There is a difference.
How dare you speak with common sense!

My Top 10

3.Watts - Got plenty of accolades for his improvement last year yet was playing a soft role accross half back instead of getting valuable KP development time in a Melbourne side that didn't have many KP forwards.

5.Zeibell - Gets talked up a lot by North supporters as a superstar. He will be a good player but when i watch him i just see him reaching those heights

LOL.

Watts only played two FULL games in defence, the rest he would start forward then get thrown back when we would start getting smashed. You really need to not listen to stupid BF opinions and actually watch games.

As for Ziebell do you understand how bad his injury history has been? He will be an excellent player when he can string 2-3 seasons together injury free. North supporters (Except for the few nuffies) have always said the same.

Funny how people can call Rioli and Naitanui overrated. Surely all the hype is they are just young players showing a ton of potential. They are not rated, particularly not Naitanui. They are never talked about in with the top players of the game. Overrated - They are not. Exciting - Yes they are.

There is a difference.

Rioli is moreso overrated by Hawthorn supporters than the media, make of that what you will.

Come on Dona they just named two 20 yr olds with less than 100 games between them, as if Cyril wouldn't have been a chance.

You said it matter of fact. He might have been a slight chance, but Cyril doesn't really show much leadership, Grimes and Trengove do. You're just potting at the Melbourne players because someone called Cyril over rated.

Trengove and Grimes are definitely better captain choices than Rioli. I doubt Rioli would even be on the short list for a captaincy role at any team. Just isn't the sort of guy to do it.

You said it matter of fact. He might have been a slight chance, but Cyril doesn't really show much leadership, Grimes and Trengove do. You're just potting at the Melbourne players because someone called Cyril over rated.
Probably got on my goat a little as the supporters do get excited when he gets the ball but wouldn't you? Bruce probably pumps him up a little to much.

He is overrated a tad but seriously has all the talent in the world and IF he can put it all together will be in the top 5 players in the comp.

ok well then I may as well throw in my top 5 although I seriously can't think of many at all who are overrated.
Today's game is drastically different from the one which was played 15-25 years ago and the media sometimes goes way over the top for a few current players.

Leigh Montagna tends to find the pill at the end of a bit of hard work by Armitage, Del Santo and Hayes so he would be one in my top 5.

Heath Shaw get's much praise but I still have no idea what for as he has considerable trouble beating better mid-sized forwards. His lack of leg speed and aerial ability hurts him but he does read the play exceptionally well so he slightly makes up for it in that perspective but whenever we play Collingwood and I know he's defending Johnson, Chappy or Stokes, I smile about that prospect.

Lance Franklin is a player who receives huge hype but in the past 2 seasons he's been staging for a lot of free kicks and he nearly receives 2 free kicks which result in goals. It's a concerning occurrence which umpires will need to monitor and I also put Selwood in that category as well. The main difference though between Selwood's free kicks and Franklin's free kicks is that Franklin's frees result in goals whilst Selwood's result in a potential goal scoring opportunity down field.
But for a player who stands 196cm tall and weighs 102kg with his hype, you would expect him to be as dominant as Travis Cloke whenever any marking opportunities arrise either one on one or contested.

Awesome player no doubt but slightly overrated when compared to Dale Thomas, Scott Pendlebury, Gary Ablett jnr, Adam Goodes or Brendan Goddard.

Michael Rischitelli I have watched many times but still surprised by the amount of credit commentators and supporters alike give him. He isn't anywhere near an elite midfielder and he's been in the system long enough but wouldn't think he is worth the big dollars he's currently getting for his overall output.

Can't quite think of another player to be honest.

5. Lindsay Thomas - too inconsistant, has a big bag against a bottom 8 side and goes missing when it counts

Any research done or is that just a guess? 2008 his 2nd bigsest bag of goals was againts the premiers - Hawthorn - 4.
2009 - his biggest bag of goals (4) came against the Blues who played finals
2010 - His 3 biggest bags came against 3 teams that played finals including the premiers - Blues 7, Freo - 5 and Pies - 3.
2011 - his two biggest bags came against WCE (4) and Essendon (4).

So in the last 4 years most of his biggest bags were against top 8 teams. 7 out of 8........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought i might have a crack:

10. Nic Naitanui - at the moment he is overrated but i believe that in 5 years he will be the premier ruckman of the comp.

9. Jack Watts - although he has just been dropped from their team he is still very overrated. every year the media says that he shows what he is capable of and we will only have to wait one more year for his brilliance, but it isnt happening.

8. Alex Fasolo - he is being compared to Alan Didak but he hasnt shown anything to convince me about the compaison except his flair, which can be a downfall.

7. Kurt Tippett - he cant kick a bunch of goals to save himself. with his height and ability he should be a great power forward but he just isnt performing.

6. Daniel Rich - won the rising star and had a good first year but he hasnt done anything since. continues to be regarded as a player to revive the lions but hasnt proved anything to us.

5. Dyson Heppell - he is a decent player but mike sheahan has put him in the top 50 and he was put up as one of essendons 3 nominees for MVP. Hasnt had the experience yet to be a top quality player and in a few more years he could be a terrific backman.

4. Jake King - he is a hard nut but his footy skills do not live up to his reputation. he doesnt do game-breaking things that he needs to do and barely racks up more than 20 touches.

3. Andrew Gaff - he hasnt shown enough to be the $500,000 a year player that the eagles are offering him. he needs a few more years to be regarded as a star.

2. Nick Maxwell - is definitely in the pies best 22 but not for talent but for leadership. i think that he isnt skillful enough to be in their team but his leadership i believe is first class.

1. Chris Dawes - he is huge, and like Tippett should be using his size to full advantage but he doesnt. should be at least a 35+ goalkicker but consistently doesnt produce.

I have included a lot of young players but i think that they are all rated way too highly for their skill and ability

5. Dyson Heppell - he is a decent player but mike sheahan has put him in the top 50 and he was put up as one of essendons 3 nominees for MVP. Hasnt had the experience yet to be a top quality player and in a few more years he could be a terrific backman.

4. Jake King - he is a hard nut but his footy skills do not live up to his reputation. he doesnt do game-breaking things that he needs to do and barely racks up more than 20 touches.

I have included a lot of young players but i think that they are all rated way too highly for their skill and ability

First of all Sheahan didnt put Hepell in his top 50 and he is going to be a midfielder
Jake King is barely rated at all and just seems like an honest battler

for this statement made you sir are n complete dingbat

First of all Sheahan didnt put Hepell in his top 50 and he is going to be a midfielder
Jake King is barely rated at all and just seems like an honest battler

I agree
and I rate Hepell, it takes a pretty decent individual to jump straight into the AFL and in his very 1st season average over 21 disposals (nearly 7 contested) and 2.7 tackles every match.
Hepell is going to be an absolute champion, would have loved to have this kid playing in our backline last year :(

Having Winderlich back in particular is going to help release him as well, he'll be able to really make his opponent accountable.

Why Winderlich?
From all I've seen he'll be set in the same role he had last year, forward pocket/flank

Dempsey (& possibly Hibberd) will be big inclusions for Heppell's game IMHO. He's a stud but he wasn't up to maintaining the rage, particularly defensively, all year.
A few more good HB options fit & firing will free him up to be that 5th-6th midfielder they want him to be.

I can see why people think he'd be over-rated currently, it'd be at least 50% based on potential rather than output, but I'm pretty happy to call it as well!!

1. Chris Dawes - he is huge, and like Tippett should be using his size to full advantage but he doesnt. should be at least a 35+ goalkicker but consistently doesnt produce.

He kicked 27 goals last year, despite only playing 18 games. He missed 7 games leading into the finals, which really ruined his season. If he can have a full season, he should kick 50 goals.

He kicked 27 goals last year, despite only playing 18 games. He missed 7 games leading into the finals, which really ruined his season. If he can have a full season, he should kick 50 goals.
He played the first 12 fit & healthy, and only kicked 21 (1.75 a game). For a 25 game, full finals campaign season, that gets him to low 40s.

This time last year he was Cloke, Ablett, Jesus, sliced bread and the wheel all rolled into one.
Personally I very much doubt he'll be more than a 40 goal player, at least while Cloke's still there. Good, and certainly important, but just not *that* good.

He played the first 12 fit & healthy, and only kicked 21 (1.75 a game). For a 25 game, full finals campaign season, that gets him to low 40s.

This time last year he was Cloke, Ablett, Jesus, sliced bread and the wheel all rolled into one.
Personally I very much doubt he'll be more than a 40 goal player, at least while Cloke's still there. Good, and certainly important, but just not *that* good.

Nobody rates Dawes that highly, and I think comparisons to Tippett are unfair because Tippett's just a much better player.

What Dawes gives Collingwood is the structure they were missing in 2009 and now have.

IMO he is one of those players who enters the AFL with a developed body and everything and I don't think there is that much improvement left in him
Football misconception number#1 right here. Just because someone comes into the system with a body that is far more mature than your average pick 32 long term draft prospect does not mean that they do not have a lot of improvement left in them. To be able to hit targets at angles, handle pressure situations, become more defensively accountable and most importantly, run out games of football consistently, take years and years of development even for kids the size of Dusty. He's ahead in development but has a lot of improvement left in him prior to his arrival as an elite midfielder. Richmond fans should be frothing at the bit.

Be careful cause that's what Essendon fans are saying about Hurley before this season starts.

I think Jonathan Brown is over rated. Struts around thinking he's king d***, and everyone takes this on, especially the media. But if it wasnt for the strut, deep voice, and occa accent no one would give a rats about him. In fact everyone would just call him a ****** when they see him running back into packs screwing his head up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back