3. Gibbs
4. Ryder
5. Rioli
6. Scully
7. O'Brien
8. Zaharakis
9. Maxwell
10. Dawes

I don't know why everyone is claiming Gibbs as overrated. I rarely see anyone rating him as anything other than a soft mistake of a No.1 pick, despite him being a top 3 player at his club and doing some unheralded but downright terrific jobs on the game's stars. Perhaps next year's anticipated shift to the forward/mid will make his contributions more obvious to the casual observer.

I don't know why everyone is claiming Gibbs as overrated. I rarely see anyone rating him as anything other than a soft mistake of a No.1 pick, despite him being a top 3 player at his club and doing some unheralded but downright terrific jobs on the game's stars. Perhaps next year's anticipated shift to the forward/mid will make his contributions more obvious to the casual observer.

He's a good player, but i think people are entitled to raise a few eye brows when a no1 DP is playing as a HBF or a Tagger after 4 or 5 years in the system, you don't use your no1 DP on a player to fill those positions.

1. Natanui
2. Dangerfield
3. Gibbs
4. Ryder
5. Rioli
6. Scully
7. O'Brien
8. Zaharakis
9. Maxwell
10. Dawes
Natanui,the laughs still keep rolling in.Natanui is the best player i've ever seen and will,barring injury,retire in the best few players of all time.This thread is becoming laughable and although people are entitled to their opinion,Too see players like Judd,Betts,Natanui,Martin,on the overated list,almost makes one wonder if some actualy are entitled to an opinion with such laughable views,i mean,someone could say,it's my opinion that Gary Ablett is overated,would we even listen to a so called opinion like that.Natanui overated,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL.I Still can't get over the idiot/fool/something that said a certain "dual brownlow medalist" is overated.Wish my beloved tigers had overated players like Judd,Betts,Natanui.We would win a flag overnight.

Natanui,the laughs still keep rolling in.Natanui is the best player i've ever seen and will,barring injury,retire in the best few players of all time.This thread is becoming laughable and although people are entitled to their opinion,Too see players like Judd,Betts,Natanui,Martin,on the overated list,almost makes one wonder if some actualy are entitled to an opinion with such laughable views,i mean,someone could say,it's my opinion that Gary Ablett is overated,would we even listen to a so called opinion like that.Natanui overated,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL.I Still can't get over the idiot/fool/something that said a certain "dual brownlow medalist" is overated.Wish my beloved tigers had overated players like Judd,Betts,Natanui.We would win a flag overnight.

Could you please show grammar a little respect?

The best player to ever play the game can still be overated, and there is no guarantee Nic Nat will be in the best few of all time, even the top 50...

I dont see why people think Scully is overrated just because he was picked up by a club with more than enough money to spend. Most media people have just called him a good talent hat could become a great player and nothing else.

And you are questioning why Nic Nat is overated??? If he is the best player you have ever seen then you must only watch Eagles play - and when they do play only watch 1 player.

Averages 4.2 kicks, 1.7 Marks, 7.7 handballs, 0.5 goals and 17.7 hit outs. He has a long long way to go to being anywhere near the best in the comp let alone ever. Sure he can do some freaky things but so could Alan Jackovich. He could just end up another side show.

He's a good player, but i think people are entitled to raise a few eye brows when a no1 DP is playing as a HBF or a Tagger after 4 or 5 years in the system, you don't use your no1 DP on a player to fill those positions.

Much like I said, I don't see him as a highly rated player, so I find it questionable how he can be overrated. As you highlight, his draft position greatly influences how people think of him as a player and in doing so, his actual impact for the team seems to get somewhat skewed.

It's true that with Gibbs being a No.1 pick, I would be disappointed if what we've seen of him so far turns out to be his ceiling, but he only turns 23yo a week before the season begins and with 100 games now tucked under his belt, I reckon it's not unreasonable to think he could take his game to another level, particularly if Ratten would release him like he did towards the end of last season. Of course none of this should have anything to do with it, unless you're rating him by draft position, which I think is folly for any player with AFL games under their belt.

In regards to his roles/positions, I think it's being a bit rough on the player given he played well in the midfield back in 2009 and does pretty well for himself even now when playing defensive midfield roles against some of the best. You neglect to mention Gibbs also did quite well as a mid/forward towards the end of the season, where he kicked 14 goals in his last 7 games (21 goals for the season and 14 goal assists); so FWIW he's a bit more than just the HBF/Tagger you've describing.

And you are questioning why Nic Nat is overated??? If he is the best player you have ever seen then you must only watch Eagles play - and when they do play only watch 1 player.

Averages 4.2 kicks, 1.7 Marks, 7.7 handballs, 0.5 goals and 17.7 hit outs. He has a long long way to go to being anywhere near the best in the comp let alone ever. Sure he can do some freaky things but so could Alan Jackovich. He could just end up another side show.
No,i don't watch just the eagles play.My view is not biased,obviously,but people need to remember that players his size rarely mature before early to mid 20s and before Natanui was drafted,it was clearly stated that he was raw to footy and was going to take more time than most to learn the trade.Never mind about his average stats,12 touches a game from a player that freakish is enough for now.Just waite till he fully grasps the game,he will be near unstoppable.He has the speed and agility of a mid and a leap like no other and despite my not so great liking of the eagles:D,this guy will be a phenom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No,i don't watch just the eagles play.My view is not biased,obviously,but people need to remember that players his size rarely mature before early to mid 20s and before Natanui was drafted,it was clearly stated that he was raw to footy and was going to take more time than most to learn the trade.Never mind about his average stats,12 touches a game from a player that freakish is enough for now.Just waite till he fully grasps the game,he will be near unstoppable.He has the speed and agility of a mid and a leap like no other and despite my not so great liking of the eagles:D,this guy will be a phenom.

I tend to agree with you, we've never seen the likes of this kid before, he will be unstoppable within 3 years, if not sooner.

My Top 10

1.Waite - Whilst injured has gone from moderate 3rd tall forward/defender to becoming a star forward that could have led Carlton to a flag.

2.Dangerfield - Gets talked up every year as the next "big thing". Just hasn't shown that he can get enough of the pill so still can't break into Adelaides average midfield on a regular basis. Will this be his break out year ????

3.Watts - Got plenty of accolades for his improvement last year yet was playing a soft role accross half back instead of getting valuable KP development time in a Melbourne side that didn't have many KP forwards.

4.Dawes - For all the accolades he was recieving, paticularly early last year he has only managed more than 3 goals twice in the last 2 years when Collingwood have been the dominant team in competition.

5.Zeibell - Gets talked up a lot by North supporters as a superstar. He will be a good player but when i watch him i just see him reaching those heights

6.Ward - Similar to Zeibell above but on more coin

7.Boyd - Good for DT but stats amount to little on the field

8.Maxwell - Not a paticularly talented loose man in defence

9. Hodge - As good as he is has spent far to much time floating accross half back considering all his accolades

10. Clarke - Had a very poor 2011 who's only real highlight was mimicking the Tarrant strut.

My Top 10

1.Waite - Whilst injured has gone from moderate 3rd tall forward/defender to becoming a star forward that could have led Carlton to a flag.

2.Dangerfield - Gets talked up every year as the next "big thing". Has had a great run with injury yet still can't break into Adelaides average midfield on a regular basis. Will this be his break out year ????

3.Watts - Got plenty of accolades for his improvement last year yet was playing a soft role accross half back instead of getting valuable KP development time in a Melbourne side that didn't have many KP forwards.

4.Dawes - For all the accolades he was recieving, paticularly early last year he has only managed more than 3 goals twice in the last 2 years when Collingwood have been the dominant team in competition.

5.Zeibell - Gets talked up a lot by North supporters as a superstar. He will be a good player but when i watch him i just see him reaching those heights

7.Boyd - Good for DT but Stats amount to little on the field

9. Hodge - As good as he is has spent far to much time floating accross half back considering all his accolades

10. Clarke - Had a very poor 2011 who's only real highlight was mimicking the Tarrant strut.
Great list IMO :thumbsu:

My Top 10

2.Dangerfield - Gets talked up every year as the next "big thing". Just hasn't shown that he can get enough of the pill so still can't break into Adelaides average midfield on a regular basis. Will this be his break out year ????

7.Boyd - Good for DT but stats amount to little on the field

What a crock about Hodge hasn't played half back since 2009 was AA Captain and centre in 2010. Maybe watch more footy or congrats for waking up from your coma, 2 years is along time to be asleep!

What a crock about Hodge hasn't played half back since 2009 was AA Captain and centre in 2010. Maybe watch more footy or congrats for waking up from your coma, 2 years is along time to be asleep!

My sentiments exactly. Hodge has played about 80% of his career in the middle. People on BigFooty just have this warped perception of him though. Funny stuff imo.

10. Leon Davis (plays alright in H&A season but constantly goes missing in finals, his performance in the 2011 GF was better though)
9. Kirk Tippett - Gets alot of press but is no where near a danger target as he is too easy to shut down
8. Angus Monfries - too flashy and not enough substance, likes to play for free kicks too
7. Tom Scully - highest paid player in the AFL.... ahead of Judd, Swan, Ablett....
6. Justin Koschitzke - Doesn't get involved consistantly in games and his presence is often overstated
5. Lindsay Thomas - too inconsistant, has a big bag against a bottom 8 side and goes missing when it counts
4. Aaron Davey - Love the flash but cannot handle a tag, his mental toughness also took a massive battering and as a result needs to rediscover form
3. Tom Hawkins - Loved his finals performances but during the season was all over the place, Cats fans who hated him and now love him and claim was great all along...
2. Robert Murphy - Decent player but AA selection? Nah don't think so
1. Chris Judd - Ok this one is tough because I still think he is in the top 5 players atm but it kills me watching a Carlton games because the hype on Judd is bordering on psychotic asphyxiation. I still think his West Coast days were more consistant but theres no denying that he can produce the goods when it counts

Yes I like it, I to enjoy watching Juddy but not everything he does is brilliant. Actually I think the best work he does is in close.

My rating of Hodge was over his career

I'm sorry but to me he has never been an elite midfielder, even in his AA season in 2010.

Not saying he is not a great player because he clearly is but that dosen't mean he can't be overated

My rating of Hodge was over his career

I'm sorry but to me he has never been an elite midfielder, even in his AA season in 2010.

Not saying he is not a great player because he clearly is but that dosen't mean he can't be overated

So finishing 2nd in the MVP, 2nd in nearly every major media award and being named AA captain playing the whole season in the guts isn't elite? That's just complete and utter nonsense. So Hodge being widely regarded as the 2nd best player in the comp in 2010 by experts, media and players alike isn't elite. I mean, really, how much football did you watch in 2010? Do you have foxtel in Perth?

Funny how people can call Rioli and Naitanui overrated. Surely all the hype is they are just young players showing a ton of potential. They are not rated, particularly not Naitanui. They are never talked about in with the top players of the game. Overrated - They are not. Exciting - Yes they are.

There is a difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back