Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Beaconsfield Super Rules
Feel free to make this 110 Things You Love About The Brisbane Lions

1. We have the Captain's Captain in Michael Voss. Undisputedly he's the most renowned captain in the business, other captains worship him and he leads by example. He's not a front runner nor is he an outside player. He is a champion who likes to get his hands dirty and relishes a challenge. "You little Beauty!"
2. We are an exciting team: not your defensive style of play. Commentators relish watching Brisbane as we play the game as it should be played (with apologies to the Geelong theme song writers). We don't dish the ball around for easy stats nor do we clog it up. Ours is a free flowing game and you can see the boys like to go straight and long and get it into the big units Brown, Merrett & Bradshaw up front and why wouldn't you? When Lethal takes the shackles off we are a percentage machine, watch videos from 1999 onwards when it's junk time and the stars aren't cooling down on the bench!
3. We own the Victorian Clubs. After all of the Victorian clubs voted to merge the finished Fitzroy Club with the young Brisbane Bears' Club the Victorian teams thought they were holding off the inevitability of a powerhouse Carey-lead North Melbourne outfit. Short thinking and they've paid the price. Since 2001 Brisbane have owned Essendon, Carlton, The Kangaroos, Hawthorn, Richmond, Melbourne, The Bulldogs with a slight hiccup in 2005. Since the merger, the Brisbane Lions have owned popular clubs Collingwood, Geelong and St Kilda managing only 5 losses in total over 10 years to all of these clubs combined. Thanks for giving me a great team to follow guys!
4. New History and the way Brisbane acknowledges the old one. Look up any Brisbane Lions history published by the club and it includes The Brisbane Lions, Fitzroy Football Club and the Brisbane Bears' histories. According to the AFL and Channel 10 there is no Fitzroy history. Anything the Brisbane Lions do is compared to the Bears' history so where was the merger. If you look at the Lions information they tell it like it is, Murray, Smallhorn, Bunton, Gale, Roos, Wilson, Quinlan are up there with Voss, Merrett, Black & Co. Thank you Lions.
5. The Fab Four. What can you say that hasn't already been said? Voss - I've already written about him. Aka - The Mouth from the North! He Talks the Talk and Walks the Walk and that's why he has respec mon. The southerners hate him because he tells it like it is and then backs it up. They'll tell you he's a ********er than in the same sentence they'll remind you that they wouldn't mind him in their team either. He's freakishly brilliant, honest, opinionated and we love him for what he is. Lappin - the skinny country kid from a country town where, trust me I know, you can't even get a decent coffee, in Chiltern. Where every second kid in the local footy teams is a Lappin we got the pick of the crop. He's lampooned at the club because everything has to be perfect and he can't handle his supposed inadequacies. He's humble, extremely modest and shy but he will always be there for you. Black - one of only 3 players to win Brownlow, Premiership and Norm Smith Medals I found out last night. He's not your flashy rover like a Ben Cousins but he's in at the ball getting the hard gets, he's got reflexes that would put Bradman to shame and he has peripheral vision like an eagle. He's class and from what the girls tell me, he's handsome as well. The Fab 4, even if 3 of them have a crap day, another bobs up and destroys you.
6. Father / Sons, Royboys or the ex-Fitzroy Supporters: Lynch, Brown, Pike, Power, Johnson & "Bunnings" Selwood. My Father and I pick a player with Fitzroy connections every year and we sponsor that player.
Lynchy - the very last player out of the VFL to have played in the AFL. He took mark of the year in 1991 and was still running around kicking goals 13 years later in 2004. A gentleman off the field but feared on it, he could play either end and battled the infamous chronic fatigue to play at the top echelon of Australian sport for another 10 years - an outstanding champion.
Jonothan Brown - the player's player. He doesn't have the looks that Riewoldt seems to have to be able to inspire the kids and he doesn't have the size of man-giant Tredrea but look at the polls, everyone wants him in their side. If he's not creating a presence and busting packs open in the forward line say hello to the midfield and watch him turn a game around. He's another Victorian Country kid who stood by his beloved lions and gives us all a link to a past era when size mattered and the Roys were in town.
Pike - 4 premierships and bobs up when you least expect. AFL bad boy but we all love him.
Power - apologies for not including him the Fab 4 but I wanted it for this bit. He's a Royboy and loves the Lions like his big mate Browny. If you ever get a chance to meet him, watch how he reacts to kids. He hangs off their every word and as a triple premiership midfielder you'd expect a bit of mongrel but his demeanour (snappy to the opposition) on the field belies his modest, caring approach off it. Wouldn't you love to have a bloke like him as your Dad?
Chrissy "Kinza" Johnson - the last of the "Fitzroy 8" and what a quality act. From struggletown Jacana near Broadmeadows in Melbourne's north Johnno has come a long way. Sure he didn't want to be a Brisbane boy at first but look at him now. He couldn't leave and he commands the troops in the backline like no other. Whether he's evading 3 players whilst getting a sharp kick out to a running team mate or he's crashing a pack of 8 men with the ball and getting out to pinpoint a handpass off to the Lions goals - he is an enigma.
Troy "Bunnings Selwood came of age Round 1 against the all-conquering Saints at The Gabba. Running down the wing at an oncoming player with the ball in dispute he had no hesitation in taking the hit just so a free teammate could get the ball down forward, this is the stuff of the Lions - breakfast of champions - no backward step. Not bad for a young fella who spent 2004 struggling with a back injury similar to the one that put Brad Boyd out of football!
7. No Passengers on the Brisbane Lions Coach. From time to time there will be someone rested on the bench but every man is expected to do his job, whether it be glamorous or not. Justin Leppitsch is a triple All Australian representative and at the 11th hour was deemed unfit to play a very-much in-form Collingwood side . How many teams could cover the loss of a big backman and still come and flog the opposition by over nearly 80 points? Up steps Chrissy Johnson, Josh Drummond, Jed Adcock and big Mal Michael and fills the size gap left by the Orange Roughy. This is just one example of time and time again where the Lions somehow seem to be able to play anywhere on the ground, any time. Bradshaw's kicked 5 goals in the first quarter? No problem, next quarter he's running around the wing! Browny in the forward line, simple, too simple in fact. Why not a spell in the midfield big fella? Our fears were that the backline-midfield would struggle without a new fella like Hadley coming through but what happens?
8. The Cubs. When a club rebuilds, it's usually down over a 3 year period. Just ask Hawthorn, Carlton, Richmond et al. After winning 3 premierships in a row the Lions suffer a setback and lose the 4th grand final and it's time to start again. Yeah, we lost some very winnable games but look at the youth that can get us going in the next year or so - HELLO! These guys are firing right now! Drummond, Adcock, Selwood, Moody, Merrett - my God a ready-made replacement for Alistair and then second tier players step up like Corrie & Magrath (sorry J-Mac you've still got to prove yourself but you're getting better).
9. The Colours. Simply put, we can't go wrong with this one as we've got the best colours in the business. Maroon, Blue & Gold. What are the three most popular colours with kids? Yes, that's right. The easiest job in the world would be the costume designer for The Lions. Lion, no problem, Maroon, yep, Blue & Gold you beauty! Imagine designing with the Hawthorn colours and you get my drift.
10. Finally, The Gabbatoir. Well it hasn't exactly been that this year has it? But in times gone by, it's the place where opposition teams fear to tread. Not opposition supporters mind you, just the team, and as Ben Lee would say "that's the way I like it." You see, Brisbane people are pretty easy going and don't have a chip on their shoulder like some Victorian and definitely most South Australian people have so you don't see people getting spat on, cars with Victorian plates scratched, drink cannisters getting thrown at opposition supporters or any of that stuff at the Gabba but what you do see is pure zoological pillaging, Magpies, Cats, Tigers, Hawks, Kangaroos and Dogs getting feasted on by hungry Lions.

Thank you Brisbane Lions for giving some things to love.
TtT ;)

My number one has always been Michael Voss. I have worked in the music industry and television and met actors and musicians and a whole host of famous people, including Nelson Mandella. None of whom have ever overawed me. For some unfathomable reason put me within 2 feet of Vossy and I have to walk away. His presence and leadership (chuck in a whole list of hyperbole here and they all fit) is just mind blowing.

My number two has always been that we are a "team", apart from Vossy there are no "stand outs" as such. Now that may sound weird but I can't explain it properly. You can't have one player without the other so to speak. Oh I cant find the words but hopefully you will know what I mean.

My number three bearing in mind the above is Jonathan Brown. I always had this fear of what we would do without Vossy, I no longer worry. I too go ga ga around Browny. I am normally a pretty cool calm and collected sort of person but if Browny is nearby I may as well speak swahili!! I remember getting ready to leave the hotel for the post Grand Final Dinner last year and was feeling fine. Losing didn't feel as bad as I thought it would ya da ya da ya da. Enter the lobby JB. One look in his eyes. Speedy exit Lady Lawrence, enter the opening of the flood gates. Settle oneself down, arrive at said dinner, enter Michael Voss, Vossy starts speech, a more emotional moment one could not describe.

So combine the three things above Vossy and Browny and their souls being the team, not only the players but the support staff. This is a whole club. From the board, to Leigh, to Hawky my absolute fave person. This is what loving the Brisbane Lions is all about.

As for the other 7 things required in this thread, in no particular order, fellow supporters, the Gabba, the rollercoaster ride from the bears to today, the slow but steady joining of the fitzroy hearts, the jumper (so glad I dont support the Hawks, brown and yellow would not look good on anyone!), the friendships I have made along the way through supporting the Bears/Lions and finally and by no means least watching Buckley leave us to play finals and the rest speaks for itself. Priceless!!!

11. Vossy. Champion Nuff said

12. Lethal- what a fantastic job he has done to win three Premierships as coach, take us to a fourth GF and now have us on track for a good finals run, and, dare we hope, a fifth GF?

13. The running style of play. The transition from defence to offence is sheer poetry in motion....handballs, running, kicks...GOAL!!!!!!

14. Watching training at the Gabba- been a while since I've done it, and the Club is now gone, but hanging out in the club, grabbing a schooner and watching the lads train is special...

15. Winning in Victoria- for a period of time, a real problem, but now we can win just about anywhere we play...would love to see the boys play at Kardinia- that would be a cool experience....

16. First bounce at the Gabba...that excitement in the air, the sun setting in the west and hearing the siren blow.....magic.....

17. Dazza going high to take a spectacular mark, using those Inspector Gadget arms of his....

18. Memories of the guys who have recently retired....fond memories of brisbane stalwarts like Lynch, Champion, Lambert (sorry, guys- I came in to Oz the last couple years of the Bears- so I have fond memories of those guys....

19. The guernsey- great colours.....

20. The cheer squad banners and the singing of the song after the game.....while I miss the old Bears song, the Lions is the best in the comp.....

Usalion - can you put a 1 in front of those numbers as in 11, 12, 13 etc... please? I want to see what people can get up to with their "loves!" ;)

Got you covered, Tim, although we covered a couple of the same things....whoever comes in next, start with 21.....

It is a wonderful thing to show your love for your footy team and to do it so eloquently is a credit to you Tim.

The 'Team' as a whole is my love and the way the are there for each other has always been their greatest asset.

im gonna make it 23.....

Great Post Tim - Loved and agreed with everything you said - on particular point you made struck a cord with myself
Lynchy - the very last player out of the VFL to have played in the AFL. He took mark of the year in 1991 and was still running around kicking goals 13 years later in 2004. A gentleman off the field but feared on it, he could play either end and battled the infamous chronic fatigue to play at the top echelon of Australian sport for another 10 years - an outstanding champion.

I do have a confession to make - some may or may not know i was orginally a Crows supporter for it was 'popular' supporting the only team in SA, the team to bring AFL to the state and amittily did great things for it!

Middle of 1998 was when I made the swap but didnt know it then......I had always a soft spot for the Bears/Lions but was Alastair that first drew me to the Lions (or as my family would say stole me from Adelaide :p) I was simple in awe and admiration of the way he played, the composure and dignity he showd during the tough period he faced in 1998 and ultimatly his courage and strenth in beating chronic fatigue. Depites some of the 'taunts' from bigfooty ppl about him...he is someone we should be proud of!

As the years went by seeing the likes of Vossy, Aker, Blacky, Nige, Leppa, Whitey and co keep me in compleate awe and amazment, I knew that I should be a lions supporter and now proudly wear the colours of marrone, blue and gold and pronnouce whenever i can the i am a lions fan - I feel like that I was born to be Lions Supporter (being a leo helps :p) and untill 1998 didn't know it.

The new brigade excites me like the older firm did when they won my heart - it may take another 2-3 years to win another flag but it makes the future bright.

I get asked as a 'bandwagoner' (ugggh) will I stick around or will I jump ship and that is fair enough. I just smile and say - "I might of jumped on the 'bagwagon' but hell will freze over till i get off again because simply the lions ARE my team and have not regretted becoming one'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

24. Professionalism We will never be beaten due to the fact that another club prepared better than us. Be it the Physios, Docs, Coaching Staff, Players, Marketing Ppl, etc. Our club continues to set benchmarks that other clubs aspire too.

25. MoneyI love the fact that my club is financial. What ever your past be it Bears or Fitzroy its great to know that you support one of the most financially sounds clubs in the league. If we do ever have a dramatic slump other clubs would want to sign every one of their uncontracted players as we will never have a problem outbidding (salary cap permitting) any other club. That from a former Fitzroy supporter is unprecedented, we have become accustomed to being pillaged.

26. New Mates/FriendsI love the fact that I have met so many great ppl with the coming together of 2 clubs. The 'annual' grand final parade, then to Young & Jacksons for a few, waiting to catch the tram down to the Albert Ground for the final training session. Meeting some of the visiting Qld supporters in the pub, telling them were to go to watch the final training, & catching up with old Fitzroy friends that I may not have seen for years.
Meeting ppl when I get up to the Gabba, great fun.

27. The Support in Melbourne Also sensational. Ive always enjoyed the fact we are outnumbered. Its nothing new to me, Ive had it all my life. Nothing better than beating the Pies in Melbourne, & telling them where to go when they leave a 3/4 time. That said some there is games that we do at least have 50% or more of the crowd in Melb......... also a sensational experience. The support down here is always growing with a new generation of lions evolving.

28. Support in Qld The trips to the Gabba.......... 'outstanding'. Never forget the 1st, surreal experience being at a ground where practically 100% of the support is for my team & the atmosphere. Can't wait to get up when the stand is completed. The noise from last nights game vs. the Scum coming through the TV was commented on by the 10 coverage. The Gabbatoir...................love it.

29. Female supporters in Qld We've got some really hot looking female supporters when ever Ive been to the Gabba (I was always going to throw 1 in from left field - thats just me). Whenever Ive been up I had to go with a girlfriend :( , but now Im single again I can't wait to get at it, on my next trip up.

30. Kinnear Beatson/Recruiting Staff Deliberately left this out of the 'professionalism' category. As Tim mentioned the 'Cubs' coming through, our recruiters have done an outstanding job with not great draft picks due to the success. Yet year after year we find these great kids. eg. How did all the other clubs over look Justin Sherman?? leaving him for our 3rd pick. You can rave on about your Deledios, Tamblings & Franklins this kid statistically has had a better year than most of them. Another Lion bargain.

31. Respect/Fear Other clubs respect my club as much as any. Never had the all my life. In fact its beyond respect & when discussing football with anyone they fear having to play Brisbane. We are just hanging in the 8, yet the bookies have us clear 2nd favourite for the flag (I don't think we will win it) but thats the respect the Lions command these days. Even going through a transition stage the Lions are feared as much as any opposition.

32. Daniel Merrett I was actually going to start another thread but I think it fits in here perfectly. I must apologise to my fellow BF Lions, in that early this year I stated a few times that I thought Spaander was clearly the better option. Now Spaander might still be OK but ya gotta love Daniel. This guy is one of the reasons I love going to the footy. The big unit that can take the massive grab in the square against 3 opponents. Unfortunately last nights telecast didn't do justice to his grab in the square. The expression on his face when he came down with the pill, & then gave the ball a big shake while in those huge mits.......... priceless. His chasing, the smother from the kickout (have you ever seen anyone so enthusiastic on the mark!! he makes Jamie Charman look docile), just loving being out their a giving everything for the Lions. Ya just can't help but love Daniel Merrett.

33. Jealousy/Envy The Melbourne mafia always plotting to shot us down. If particular administrators of certain clubs spent as much time as trying to cut us down in running their own affairs perhaps success may come their way. Constant changing of the rules due to peer group pressure = xenphobia is alive & well in the Melbourne AFL scene. Did anyone else hear on Friday Nights coverage of the Kanga's v Eagle's Ed mention twice that David Hale would have been a Brisbane player if not for a rule change. Proud as punch he was......... does he ever stop. Not too proud 24hrs later!!!
The poor bloke obsessed. He must have nightmare's....... how many times would Carla (his missus) get woken up in the middle of a nightmare, with Ed screaming 'NOOOOOOOOOO NOT AKERMANIS' as a result of the 2003 GF.
There's no coincidence that we have outstanding records against 2 particular Melb based clubs.
As Lethal said 'theres no poilitics on the field'.
But theres plenty of jealously off it, & I love that fact that it exists.

Bobby Beecroft said:

33. . Did anyone else hear on Friday Nights coverage of the Kanga's v Eagle's Ed mention twice the David Hale would have been a Brisbane player if not for a rule change. Proud as punch he was......... does he ever stop. Not too proud 24hrs later!!!
The poor bloke obsessed. He must have nightmare's....... how many times would Carla (his missus) get woken up in the middle of a nightmare, with Ed screaming 'NOOOOOOOOOO NOT AKERMANIS' as a result of the 2003 GF.

Yeah, I heard that loud and clear.

He's a nasty piece of goods Eddie.

His only consolation......... his obsessive white-anting of the Lions.

Hope you enjoyed the game last night McChins ;)

Why don't you try developing your own players. Why is it that Victoria has to constantly supply players to the Lions and the Swans.

If you are as good as what you say why aren't Queenslanders inspired to take up football as a result of watching the Lions. Geez, you only have to compete with Rugby for athletes, a ridiculous, boring and purile sport.

Every win you achieve is on the back of Victorians. Enough is enough, we want our zones back in Victoria. Here you go, develop the game in Queensland and have it as your sole recruitment zone; then when you do make the grade in the football world your achievements will be appropriately acknowledged.

As it is at the moment; it is just years of failure enabling access to the elite of Victorian talent that is the reason for your success.

Vandenbergfan said:
Why don't you try developing your own players. Why is it that Victoria has to constantly supply players to the Lions and the Swans.

If you are as good as what you say why aren't Queenslanders inspired to take up football as a result of watching the Lions. Geez, you only have to compete with Rugby for athletes, a ridiculous, boring and purile sport.

Every win you achieve is on the back of Victorians. Enough is enough, we want our zones back in Victoria. Here you go, develop the game in Queensland and have it as your sole recruitment zone; then when you do make the grade in the football world your achievements will be appropriately acknowledged.

As it is at the moment; it is just years of failure enabling access to the elite of Victorian talent that is the reason for your success.

1. Courtesy of Eddie and Co., not only will the Salray Cap Concession be abolished by the end of 2006 but also.....the Lions will have NO Priority Zone picks at all.....the Vic clubs have seen to that.

2. We "only" have to compete with "Rugby" do we?...........do you have any idea of how entrenched "Rugby" is in Queensland???......do you have any idea of the difference between "Rugby League" and "Rugby Union"???.....have you ever read a Brisbane newspaper or any other Queensland produced newspaper.....have you ever watched the Sports highlights on TV in Brisbane or anywhere else in Queensland for that matter??

I've got news for you pal.....the AFL and Lions are lucky to get a 30 second clip.....after 4 or 5 minutes of "Rugby" highlights and gushing reports about the Broncos (do you know who they are?)

3. Every win we achieve is NOT on the back of Vic gooses like yourself but IN SPITE of the likes of you.

4. You can have your precious "Zones" back and good luck to you............give us OURS back and we'll reclaim the likes of Reiwoldt, Hale and Bizell to name a few.

5. Personally, I don't give a flying fuggarker whether the likes of one as ignorant as you, chooses to "appropriately" acknowledge our achievements, or not

Do some research before you go cluttering up good internet space with your ignorant drivel ,you dill.

Tim the Toolman said:

3. We own the Victorian Clubs. After all of the Victorian clubs voted to merge the finished Fitzroy Club with the young Brisbane Bears' Club the Victorian teams thought they were holding off the inevitability of a powerhouse Carey-lead North Melbourne outfit. Short thinking and they've paid the price. Since 2001 Brisbane have owned Essendon, Carlton, The Kangaroos, Hawthorn, Richmond, Melbourne, The Bulldogs with a slight hiccup in 2005. Since the merger, the Brisbane Lions have owned popular clubs Collingwood, Geelong and St Kilda managing only 5 losses in total over 10 years to all of these clubs combined. Thanks for giving me a great team to follow guys!

the only thing you guys own is the biggest salary cap! u jack ass

magpies42 said:
Tim the Toolman said:

Early in the game when the camera shot Malthouse flipping through papers, was he already preparing for next week's game?

By the way Collingwood wouldn't be hated as much as they are if it weren't for people like you.

magpies42 said:

Obviously unaware that we have no longer any extra allowance and as a result Collingwood moves heaven and earth to try and poach our talent with their extra marketing dollars that they have. I'm not sure whom is really the JA here 42? :confused:

magpies42 said:
Tim the Toolman said:

You should sell tickets, thats great comedy :rolleyes: .

The facts hurt don't they?

At least you know you have respect from the Lions, and I don't think we left much doubt as to where we shoved it!

30) the players! coz, the waythey work together while being unda pressure from their opposition, didn't u c them against melbourne, and fremantle?
their are abosultly awesome.

31) Browny & Vossy. The two main leaders, what i wuv about them is the way they pick up their team at the breaks, like they were two goals down at qtr time, they came back to win the game, it was just plain exciting to watch!

and i wuv everything else about them

i think u'll find, ur the only jack ass in here, so get lost, and take ur remarks with u
but, hey i was in the same possie u r in now, being amboshessed with ******** off, and get lost, and ur thee jack ass things being flung back at u,

soz, but in the name of the game, i have to stick to my word, so yeh.

One Thing I hate about the Lions is : Going to the game to see twits doing the Mexican wave!! Shows Boredom is Rude and Disrespectfull.
For the players sake please don't do it guys!!

oohdannyboy said:
One Thing I hate about the Lions is : Going to the game to see twits doing the Mexican wave!! Shows Boredom is Rude and Disrespectfull.
For the players sake please don't do it guys!!

I couldn't agree more. It's not the Lions fault that Collingwood's lack of spirit made it a one-sided game...would the mexican wavers (are they the cricket crowd?) prefer that the Lions had lowered their standard to Collingwood's just to make it a tight game so those with short attention spans would remain interested!! Rude, disrespectful AND mindless! How much better is it to see the wags who produce great signs at key moments - the 'where's your lifeline now Eddie' one on Saturday night was great. And remember the 'Game over Joffa' one from 2003 GF!

Remove this Banner Ad

10 Things I Love About The Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back