Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Loathe to bring this up. If Yarran actually does ever get to play, his presence across half back will be limited to about two appearances until he is sent to the midfield or forward line. He I imply not and never will be a defender. I seriously question why evry second poster on here picks him in a back pocket or half back flank.

Loathe to bring this up. If Yarran actually does ever get to play, his presence across half back will be limited to about two appearances until he is sent to the midfield or forward line. He I imply not and never will be a defender. I seriously question why evry second poster on here picks him in a back pocket or half back flank.
Because that's where Richmond recruited him to play. Been said numerous times since we picked him up. You don't have to agree with it, but that's why we're all naming him on the HBF.

Don't see him in our best 22 and think it time we moved him on. Very one paced and one dimensional player who gives little rebound from hb. He played some games because his lack of foot speed and drive from the backline wasn't a major concern in a game style that involved slow, high possession style movement (particularly out of the backline ). Time to move on and get players into that hb role that offer a bit more run and carry

If batchelor is allowed to play as an intercept marking hb, and not a kpd, then he does well. He is a great reader of the ball, and a good intercept marker.

The only problem with that is, is that Rance and Chaplin were the same type of player who like to zone off and intercept as well. If Batch can get back to the year he had in 2013-14, he'd be valuable and will allow Vlas to move further into midfield.

Because that's where Richmond recruited him to play. Been said numerous times since we picked him up. You don't have to agree with it, but that's why we're all naming him on the HBF.

I'll give you very long odds he continues in that role.
He has not the slightest defensive bone in his body!

We're probably keeping him as KPD backup because we seem to love playing him on players that are much bigger and stronger than him

Comes down to recruiting and negligence that he is played or even considered for a key tall role.
We have Rance, Grimmes a s third tall who generally lays on smalls and brittle bones Astbury who is five minutes away from another injury.

Agreed , watching his highlights he has a real instinct to run , I would have thought perfect wingman , not sure his weaving in and out of defence adds up to a direct style of footy . Really hope he can get super fit, would be a weapon for us if so

Batch is a decent quality back against medium sized forwards, and he can rebound. Not a star, but if played to his limitations then he is quite good. Went nowhere in 2016. Will be interesting in 2017. I guess a year where he either plays AFL or gets delisted.

Remember his first game in Round 1 2011 vs Carlton (yes had to look up which year it was!). He was mobile, went in hard, and looked as though the pace of the game wouldn't be a huge adjustment (I also thought the same of Brad Helbig making his debut same night though).

I still don't mind him as a player, but think that he has been asked to play bigger than he is really capable and comfortable of. It looks as though he has put on too much muscle for his height and his agility and speed has suffered because of it.

If he could play the role of Vlas (dependent on move to the midfield) and get his size right he could be a solid contributor. But while he is asked to play KPD I think he will be exposed. He might have the muscle, but he doesn't have the reach.

We also recruited houli as a mid and b ellis as a hb so what your on about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair dinkum those defending this bloke, open your eyes up.

He is a very slow 188cm 88kg medium sized player. His height and size says he can not play on talls and it has been shown to be the case so often.
At 188cm and 88kg he should be able to provide run and defend a small or medium but his lack of leg speed sees us continually play him on talls.
we get little rebound and we get mismatches. The simple truth is while he is a hard nut and will crack in he is so deficient in most areas he should have been cut after 2 or 3 seasons.
Ask your selves what attributes does he have to play tall. Then ask yourselves would you likr to see him one out on smaller players then ask yourselves does he provide enough run and rebound.

If honest this bloke does none of those things well he struggles because he just does not have the attributes for any of the roles. He will always stuggle because of this.
To finish im not having a go at him he jst does not have the attributes for the level. I love the way he cracks in and stands up to opponents the trouble is to play at this level thats is just too little .

I'll give you very long odds he continues in that role.
He has not the slightest defensive bone in his body!
Again, not the point. But I'd argue you need more defensive bones in your body playing as a crumbing forward than you do a running back like Yaz. Probably all the more reason why Batchelor should be in the team.

Gonna have to go ahead and promote Batchelor a little.

I really REALLY hope he is there round 1.

Why?

I was bored today and decided to fire up Round one 2013 vs Carlton.

I did this mostly to confirm my own ammunition for why I'm glad we showed faith in Conca the midfielder. (He was decent, he'll be solid for us)

(Admittedly some pangs to the heart every time Lids got the ball :( )

But what stood out to me a lot was Batchelor and his intercept marking, even showed some dash and kicked some ripper passes.

I harped on about this a lot but the role Vlastuin plays now should still be Batchelor's, not just for Vlas to play midfield and rest forward, but also cause I would argue Batchelor is even better at it.

Why they tried to make him into a third tall defender I'll never understand.

Batchelor to the pocket, Vlastuin to the centre, it's win-win.

Do it, Dimma.
He was so good at that intercept making early in his career. I just can work out why they coaches insisted on changing his role to one he is no good at.
And with regards to Vlastuin, he is a midfielder. You don't use pick 9 for a back pocket. He's wasted back there.
Not sure why every single supporter is crying out for it but the coaches don't seem to want to make that move.

He was so good at that intercept making early in his career. I just can work out why they coaches insisted on changing his role to one he is no good at.
And with regards to Vlastuin, he is a midfielder. You don't use pick 9 for a back pocket. He's wasted back there.
Not sure why every single supporter is crying out for it but the coaches don't seem to want to make that move.
Because he's clearly not up to it yet and he's really good down back. Got no doubt we'll see him in there a bit next year but it's much less of a necessity with Caddy and Prestia.

One of the best games I've seen Batchelor play is when we beat GWS at the MCG in 2015. Bachelor had the job on Cam 'Mr Sooky-Soft-****' McCarthy and kept him to 2 kicks for the entire game. Batchelor didn't get a heap of the ball himself (9 possessions), but he effectively used physicality, close-checking and aggression to completely psych McCarthy out of the game. Unfortunately those tactics don't work on most players these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back