Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Batchelor has survived only because our game plan has allowed him to - slow sideways movement. Pretty much sums up him really.
If we ever adapt a more attacking game style he'll be of no use. Has absolutely no leg speed and very one sided.
As far as match ups go he is not up to playing 3rd tall and to slow to play on good smalls or meduim forwards.

That seems a fair summary. His display of kicking was the worst I have ever noticed on a field - bar none.

He's a great example of what is wrong with us. He should be a Joel Bowden type, 200 game player, sets us up off half back and opens the play up with his left boot. One of our draftees that improves us.

However, he has stagnated at a time when he should be pushing forward. He took the game on most of today, more than some of his teammates but his errors are shocking at times. The shot on goal he just tried to kick too hard.... the one he missed at the other end is the one I expect a better effort from. He is being used more as an option coming out of defence due to the usual guys missing out through injury.

With Houli, Yarran, McIntosh and Morris all available, he'd be struggling for a spot in this team. Mind you, if TV tried as hard as Batch I'd be a happier person.

Yes TV looked LAZY - batch did go in ... That is not in question ...

That seems a fair summary. His display of kicking was the worst I have ever noticed on a field - bar none.

Not for me... I watch Fleming and Hislop play games for us.... in fact Daniel Jackson used to have several absolute shockers per week for his first 100 games or so....In fact Bowden used to come up with some rippers too

reckon he gets the wrong end of critiscm .
is often outsized and consistantly used as the rebounding defender we'd have absolutely no run without him atm , whilst he is a far better player when someone like houli is in the side and used as the rebounding defender .
Suspect his win loss ratio over the past 3-4 years would be higher than most in the side.

He isn't the worst of our problems and he generally gives a decent contest. Yep, he shanked a few. First out, likely, but I don't mind if he stays in. What's noticeable is he is trying to push fwd more, 40% of his possessions were fwd of centre. He is taking Houli's role to perfection, as he didn't register a tackle ! He is depth and due to injuries, he is playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was generally alright except for a five minute patch after Rance threw a tantrum at him, which seemed to rattle him.

Good depth at least IMO.

Gonna have to go ahead and promote Batchelor a little.

I really REALLY hope he is there round 1.

Why?

I was bored today and decided to fire up Round one 2013 vs Carlton.

I did this mostly to confirm my own ammunition for why I'm glad we showed faith in Conca the midfielder. (He was decent, he'll be solid for us)

(Admittedly some pangs to the heart every time Lids got the ball :( )

But what stood out to me a lot was Batchelor and his intercept marking, even showed some dash and kicked some ripper passes.

I harped on about this a lot but the role Vlastuin plays now should still be Batchelor's, not just for Vlas to play midfield and rest forward, but also cause I would argue Batchelor is even better at it.

Why they tried to make him into a third tall defender I'll never understand.

Batchelor to the pocket, Vlastuin to the centre, it's win-win.

Do it, Dimma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back