Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not trying to say there are just a couple of games, but what about 2014 rd 23 vs Sydney and 2015 vs GWS?

He had some epic moments
Agree he was massive at key moments in those games. Plus he is the oneof the few guys in our team who can lay a proper tackle. I want him in the team, best 22 in my view.

He has often been played as 3rd tall against guys much taller. he gets beaten and they drop him. Accept he is good against forwards, until they get over 192. When we played the Swans and he got Tippett it was a laugh (sad laugh though). Batch couldn't stop him cause Tippett's hand were about 25cm above his. Just stupid to expect a smaller guy to play that role.

Anyway, he is a decent level BP. And if they can free Floss to play midfield I am all for it.

How quickly we all forget

Batch was a key part of our backline in 2014 on our run to the finals, in my opinion he is best 22 when fit. Great intercept mark and is a great kick most of the time.

Can also lay a great tackle and isnt afraid to go in hard

It's getting late in the night and the bachelor party is starting to peter out. A few of the blokes want to keep the party going, but mostly everyone is pretty tired and ready to call it a night.

There aren't any decent chicks in the bar at this hour anyway, I'm happy to call it a night. If we persist, the best we might pick-up is something pretty average and sloppy anyway, and a bit too mature for my taste right now.

Finished top 10 in our best and fairest last year. Just saying
That's because he was only comprehensively beaten once throughout the season and it was the EF mismatch when North were sending bullets down Waite's throat. He was very reliable for us in 2015. Not an elite player but some people are stupidly harsh with their criticism of him.

That's because he was only comprehensively beaten once throughout the season and it was the EF mismatch when North were sending bullets down Waite's throat. He was very reliable for us in 2015. Not an elite player but some people are stupidly harsh with their criticism of him.
I think he is fine, not delist worthy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is the conduit of the backline. Every year he starts out of favour and in the VFL . He eventually comes in and the side improves.
Takes the game on and isnt affraid to run straight through the contest.
Isnt the most agile but which probably sees he maligned .
He and Grimes competing for same spot due to the love for Houli.
I'd prefer grimes and batch over Houli and think both would improve offensively enough to cover for Houli.

I'd prefer to keep him on the list over Broad. With Vlaustins likely move to the midfield I'd have Batch take his position in the backline. Just don't play him on a tall forward or a resting ruck.

How many years has he been on our list? He has no improvement or upside in him , so why keep him? I thought it was about improving your list to get better ?
I never used to mind him coz I thought whenever we played out best footy , he was getting amongst it with his intercept marks and neat kick . He was awful in 2016, looked like the game breezed passed him and he had little interest in knuckling down and forcing his way back" I'd be axing him and picking a DFA , cam o Shea for example

That is a worry ,

2015 Team member of one of the best defenses.
2016 Started in VFL, but not sure why, would be surprised if it was attitudinal, but he would have lost some confidence, then got a hamstring, then a shoulder, so not sure how to judge him on 2016.

He is a good lock down player, but can be attacking at times.
But I get feeling over the years that DH likes to keep at least two of the last line as purely lock down, with very little attack. Hopefully him, Grimes, who ever is down there is allowed a lot more freedom in 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back