Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I think your wrong and those who talk him up wrong. I dont call you a crap poster because of it.
Instead i will give my reasons why i think Batchelor is no good. It would be nice to see you at the least tell us why you think he is a good solid defender instead of abusing others who have a differing opinion.
What iyo does he do well? What attributes does he have iyo that makes him such a good player? What outstanding performances has he produced that says keeper. What role do you see him performing well for us?
The ball is in your court, point out what makes you think him a good player instead of just attacking posters who have a different take on him.
I still don't understand what your reasons are other than the fact you don't like him (like nearly all of our other players it seems). As was mentioned above he had a pretty good year statistically, better than Stratton who is almost universally acknowledged as a good player, and played nearly every game in a defence which was rated one of the top few in the league. Every key indicator suggests that our defence is at a good enough level to contend, it is going forward where we fall down. I really don't get people's problem with Batch, he's not a star but he's played a central role in our best performed line and hardly got beaten all year, there is no problem with having him in the side.

Our most underrated player. Does his job week in week out. Is rarely beaten and is such a versatile defender. Him and Grimes will be our back pockets for the next 7 or 8 years.

Yeah I wish he had a little more class and polish. But does his job albeit workman like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what we saw last season was the start of Bachelor maturing & believing in his ability. Also the recognition of what he needs to do to perform at AFL level. His doing extras(getting a PT) off season was one of the signs of this. As well as his focus on how hard he has to work to maintain his position. I think his game will be further strengthend , if not he will start to come under more pressure as competition for spots will only increase IMHO....

I don't think he is the number one concern for the RFC at the moment though. There are other areas that need attention if we are to take the next step. Having said that I'm optimistic of improvement of our younger players through hard work & development...

I still don't understand what your reasons are other than the fact you don't like him (like nearly all of our other players it seems). As was mentioned above he had a pretty good year statistically
No he didn't and niether did Stratton.
Stratton was given shut down roles on most of the sml fwds a bit like Grimes for us this year.

How on earth is 12.3 disposals, 1.9 tackles, 2.1 rebounds, 3.2 one percenters on ave statistically good. Chaplin and Rance both had the kpfs Grimes the job on the smalls and Batchelor provided what. Did he do a job on smalls ? nope. Did he do a job on kpfs ? nope. Did he provide run and carry out of defence? nope.Did he win enough ball? Nope. Was he good in the air providing lots of spoils or lots of intercept marks ? you guessed it no.
What did he do that was so outstanding apart from getting torn apart in important games.If you want to compare him to a Hawthorn player compare him to Josh Gibson.

Stratton was given shut down roles on most of the sml fwds a bit like Grimes for us this year.

How on earth is 12.3 disposals, 1.9 tackles, 2.1 rebounds, 3.2 one percenters on ave statistically good. Chaplin and Rance both had the kpfs Grimes the job on the smalls and Batchelor provided what. Did he do a job on smalls ? nope. Did he do a job on kpfs ? nope. Did he provide run and carry out of defence? nope.Did he win enough ball? Nope. Was he good in the air providing lots of spoils or lots of intercept marks ? you guessed it no.
What did he do that was so outstanding apart from getting torn apart in important games.If you want to compare him to a Hawthorn player compare him to Josh Gibson.
Hes a spud

If Batch and Chaplin are so horrendous as you say how has our backline functioned so well over the last few seasons?

Batchelor plays almost the same role as Stratton. He is a lock down defender

Batchelor plays almost the same role as Stratton. He is a lock down defender
On who against what types.
Rance and Chaplin as key defenders have lock down roles the primary role of both is to first stop their opponent. Unfortunately only one does that role well. Grimes has the lock down role on the smalls so what should the role be for Batchelor.

Surely we are not going to ask a slow 188cm player to take on 195cm plus fwds, we have seen on several occasions how that turns out. He doesnt actually play on opposition smalls because he gets the run around he is too slow to keep up.What does that leave.Third up with a spoil. Intercept marking and a heap of run and carry and we rarely get any of it.
I am gobsmacked that any one can come on here and say he was statistically good for the year.

Imo Batchelor was one player who should never have been picked for the elimination final and a lot of other games thru the year.
Who in their right minds would play a slow 188cm defender on Petrie at 197/101. Or play him on the 200/99 Ben Brown.
Yep we picked the 188cm bloke to play on Jarrad Waite at 194/94 and the result was what. It is simple if we dont have the right match up dont play him.

On who against what types.
Rance and Chaplin as key defenders have lock down roles the primary role of both is to first stop their opponent. Unfortunately only one does that role well. Grimes has the lock down role on the smalls so what should the role be for Batchelor.

Surely we are not going to ask a slow 188cm player to take on 195cm plus fwds, we have seen on several occasions how that turns out. He doesnt actually play on opposition smalls because he gets the run around he is too slow to keep up.What does that leave.Third up with a spoil. Intercept marking and a heap of run and carry and we rarely get any of it.
I am gobsmacked that any one can come on here and say he was statistically good for the year.

Imo Batchelor was one player who should never have been picked for the elimination final and a lot of other games thru the year.
Who in their right minds would play a slow 188cm defender on Petrie at 197/101. Or play him on the 200/99 Ben Brown.
Yep we picked the 188cm bloke to play on Jarrad Waite at 194/94 and the result was what. It is simple if we dont have the right match up dont play him.
Imo I tend to agree going fwd we need him to just play on smalls, so he may be squeezed out if Vlas is still there. However I also think your underselling how he did last year in the same breath. He was no where near that bad your making him out to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo I tend to agree going fwd we need him to just play on smalls, so he may be squeezed out if Vlas is still there. However I also think your underselling how he did last year in the same breath. He was no where near that bad your making him out to be.

I agree, after only a handful of decent games a few years ago i didn't think he was much chop, but he worked his backside off last preseason and being objective i could see how much he had improved, will never be a star but as stylo said above for now best 22 and realizing his potential.

FWIW, I worked with Cotch today at the Mernda CC (we run events for local sporting clubs and bring out AFL players etc) and he said Batch has had the best off season out of any player on the list.
How many flags have we won in the off season by pumping up guys in their preseasons?Tell Cotch i've lost count.
Unless Batch has improved his leg speed and vertical leap then i will TAKE THIS BACK AND DELETE THE POST:)

batch had a good year and worked his ass off but he is a battler that played in a good team defence held together by Rance Vlastuin and Grimes
he is not big enough to play on talls remember Waite in the EF where batch was targeted and he is not fast enough or skilled enough to play as a rebounder therefore I think he will get limited opportunity going forward
I'm hoping that Chaplin and Batchelor get replaced as both are liabilities one on one but get some protection in a team defence

I like batch and always have, so my opinion is or may be perceived as bias.

I think due to his size (not just height) his opponents change week to week- one game he's playing on betts the next he's lining up on Petrie (I know I know not often). Plays on both talls and smalls.

For all the hate he gets he's clearly in the best 22 and I can't name a player that's even close to overtaking him. I actually think he's keeping Morris out of the team too.

The club/recruiters have come out and said its an area of concern and we need to bolster it.

I can't understand all the hate.

Time for a bump.

Last year he was a regular, now he can't even get listed as an emergency. Why?
had a great preseason according to Cotch.

Lukey D said:
FWIW, I worked with Cotch today at the Mernda CC (we run events for local sporting clubs and bring out AFL players etc) and he said Batch has had the best off season out of any player on the list.

Dud delist:D

Time for a bump.

Last year he was a regular, now he can't even get listed as an emergency. Why?
My only guess is structure/team balance. Batchelor might considered depth for Houli or Vlastuin's role, which is the way it should be since he's not big enough to play on a tall like he was forced to in the Elim.

That said maybe if we were playing a team with a smaller forward line he would have got the gig over Chaplin? Grimes at 193 and his body type has the ability to play tall and small, while Batch at 188 can play on a pacey tall at a stretch, but is better against mediums (like your Darlings/Yeo's).

had a great preseason according to Cotch.

Lukey D said:

Dud delist:D

haha just raises more questions about his lack of selection, or selection issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back