Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it sounds weird (and a bit creepy) - saw player(s) in background, zoomed in/cropped - lo and behold...
Nah I love the attention to detail. I even watched the video in question and still took me three watches to see Sheldrick as you did! Well spotted! (But hate to see the moon boot :(

Spotted this earlier in the background of Chloe Molloy’s IG story; from this, it looks it’s an ankle or foot injury?

View attachment 2003235

Has crutches as well so reducing weight on the injury.

Ankle sprains/injuries usually rely on both boots and crutches these days.

If it's a fracture it depends on where it is in the foot, I fractured my foot a few years ago and whilst I had a boot I wasn't required to have crutches.

Angus Sheldrick suffered an ankle ligament injury in the first quarter of the VFL match against the Northern Bullants.

Sheldrick is likely to miss 8 to 10 weeks of football.
The afl.com.au injury page was updated to include the Buller injury but no mention of Sheldrick. Was your quote from elsewhere I guess?

Last edited:
View attachment 2003326
In a moon boot at a local Aussie rules club recently (posted in the last day).

Well spotted. Gus is a terrific young person. Couple of days after a devastating injury, there he is meeting a commitment.

He seemed to have a backpack on in the photo next to Ladhams.

Expect he may not be able to fly back to Perth. Planes are deadly on swelling.

Whatever people may think of his footy he just seems a tops young person.

He is probably near done for the season. If that is the case no-one deserves a break in 2025 more than this bloke.

I'm advised (by someone who tends to know) that Gus is being pursued by West Coast.

The whole WA crew (Logan, Chad, Gus) currently seems to be at risk - which kinda sucks.
He would be mad not to really. He walks into their midfield next year if healthy.
Behind 3 for his spot here unless we make some changes, which likely we don't given his unfortunate injury record.
Would be a real shame to lose such a promising player.

I'm advised (by someone who tends to know) that Gus is being pursued by West Coast.

The whole WA crew (Logan, Chad, Gus) currently seems to be at risk - which kinda sucks.
To be honest, I know some might not like me saying this, but we can afford to let him go if it means there's a better chance we get to keep Chad, McDonald, and others.

He is good enough to get a run in the side, but we are pretty stacked as well, and I could see him leaving to pursue the opportunity to play week-in week-out elsewhere.

He did look promising last year with that cameo before getting injured, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it a surprise? Both WA clubs have lists that are average. My mail said it wasn't just our WA boys that Freo & West Coast were after.

Re Sheldrick, he's at a peculiar point in his development. It's very easy to say "Hope he sticks it out with us and tries to get a spot in the future." Dylan Stephens did that when he knocked back plenty of opposition interest to re-sign with us, and we all commended him for his loyalty and perseverance. But when he couldn't get that spot with us and had to reassess his options two years later, all that loyalty and perseverance got him was a hammer blow to his market value, and he'd gone from a player who had potential suitors all over Victoria & SA, to suddenly having one suitor, and it being the worst possible suitor (North.)

So sometimes you do have to strike while the iron is hot. Your development years are important and your career can go sideways pretty easily if you don't try and get the most out of them.

First rounder.

Ball magnet, kicks both feet, distributes well by hand and foot, footy IQ, one of the toughest tacklers at the Club, brave, good burst of speed and evasion skills…. an all round footballer.

Imo would be our worse player loss since Diesel Williams. A disaster for the Club.

Is it a surprise? Both WA clubs have lists that are average. My mail said it wasn't just our WA boys that Freo & West Coast were after.

Re Sheldrick, he's at a peculiar point in his development. It's very easy to say "Hope he sticks it out with us and tries to get a spot in the future." Dylan Stephens did that when he knocked back plenty of opposition interest to re-sign with us, and we all commended him for his loyalty and perseverance. But when he couldn't get that spot with us and had to reassess his options two years later, all that loyalty and perseverance got him was a hammer blow to his market value, and he'd gone from a player who had potential suitors all over Victoria & SA, to suddenly having one suitor, and it being the worst possible suitor (North.)

So sometimes you do have to strike while the iron is hot. Your development years are important and your career can go sideways pretty easily if you don't try and get the most out of them.
I'm afraid I don't get the Sheldrick/Stephens comparison.

If the lad can get himself on the park for a period of time, he'll be a ripper, both as a player and I suspect as a leader. Sadly, it's looking increasingly likely it won't be with us.

If the lad can get himself on the park for a period of time, he'll be a ripper, both as a player and I suspect as a leader. Sadly, it's looking increasingly likely it won't be with us.
Not comparing them as players, just their circumstances.

First rounder.

Ball magnet, kicks both feet, distributes well by hand and foot, footy IQ, one of the toughest tacklers at the Club, brave, good burst of speed and evasion skills…. an all round footballer.

Imo would be our worse player loss since Diesel Williams. A disaster for the Club.

Wowzers I don't think Jesus got this much hype when he came back from the dead

Wowzers I don't think Jesus got this much hype when he came back from the dead

Do you contest the attributes I raised?

You clearly have not read caesar88 repeatedly waxing lyrical about how a solid B Grader who has a couple of strong attributes is somehow elite.

Some like to damn Sheldrick with tepid praise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back