#12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Selection #13 - Daniel Talia

Back from the draft.

GUN.

IMO will play HBF in Otten's position, maybe not next year, but could very well.

Was very happy, as was his family. Craig and Rendell went upto him after and everyone was wrapt.

Very pleased with this.

Another Assumption boy, you blokes love em!

Gun kid and a bloke that has been in the eyes of drafters for years now, they always knew he would play football at the top level, he has been stream-lined to the AFL.

One of the major upsides to him is that he only shot up in height in the last couple of years, I always thought he'd be a tall midfield (maybe ala Pendlebury). So he has sort of developed into a effective KPP, but one that moves like a tall sized mid, helps a lot in regards to his closing speed and the amount of rebound he can provide.

Well done guys, I'd be stoked.

Another Assumption boy, you blokes love em!

Gun kid and a bloke that has been in the eyes of drafters for years now, they always knew he would play AFL at the top level, he has been stream-lined to the AFL.

One of the major upsides to him is that he only shot up in height in the last couple of years, I always thought he'd be a tall midfield (maybe ala Pendlebury). So he has sort of developed into a effective KPP, but one that moves like a tall sized mid, helps a lot in regards to his closing speed and the amount of rebound he can provide.

Well done guys, I'd be stoked.

Sounds a bit like Otten?

I can see in the next few years that most mids will be in the 191-196 range. The more we pilfer athletes from Basketball the taller the mids will get.

1st pick - Athletic lad from Calder and Assumption! Hard to pick that one! :p

Congratulations Crows - you have a good player there. I heard that Adelaide rated him highly, they came and spoke to him at Assumption, and went as far as saying that if he didn't like the club that picked him, that he could come to Adelaide after that. I think you and North have got the pick of draft.

Incidentally, his grandfather was a Bulldogs premiership player, so he has the bloodlines.

lol just had a look at the draft chat on the afc site and theres someone called jenny going nuts that we picked a KP. Its a bit strange a decent KP fell to us considering melbourne and carlton were right before us (wonder why they didnt like him?) but i'm not complaining you can never have too many KP players.

By the sounds is a pretty decent prospect, just watching his vid's think he looks better up forward than he does down back, really tries model his game on Riewoldt, ie athleticism, workrate etc. Also has a pretty decent kick. Could we finally have that lead up CHF that us fans have been screaming out for. Apparently is already pretty well built and sounds like he's probably pretty AFL ready, not that we really need that atm. Best of luck to the kid:thumbsu:

lol just had a look at the draft chat on the afc site and theres someone called jenny going nuts that we picked a KP.

Posts on here too, similar subject matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the sounds is a pretty decent prospect, just watching his vid's think he looks better up forward than he does down back, really tries model his game on Riewoldt, ie athleticism, workrate etc. Also has a pretty decent kick. Could we finally have that lead up CHF that us fans have been screaming out for. Apparently is already pretty well built and sounds like he's probably pretty AFL ready, not that we really need that atm. Best of luck to the kid:thumbsu:

Stood next to him for a little while tonight, needs a bit more weight, but so does every kid there. Nice height.

i doubt he'll be a guaranteed star CHF at the pick we got him, but hopefully one of davis, mckernan, henderson, walker, Talia etc can become this type of player.

lol really? i wondered!:D

i doubt he'll be a guaranteed star CHF at the pick we got him, but hopefully one of davis, mckernan, henderson, walker, Talia etc can become this type of player.

Yeah, that's it, we've picked up enough potential gun KPF's in the past 4 drafts, that surely we're set for KPP's for the next 10 years.

Cripes you blokes are loaded with good young tall talent now.

Daniel being interviewed on 5AA now

Hadn't talked with Craigy prior to the draft.

Very excited to be coming to Adelaide.

Described himself as a hard working, versatile player.

He played more for Assumption College than he did for TAC.

10.20 best time for a 3km a couple of years ago. Done Athletics around footy.

OK academically. Wants to study sports science at uni.

Overall, he spoke very well and seemed quite excited to be drafted full stop.

Was very happy, as was his family. Craig and Rendell went upto him after and everyone was wrapt.

Very pleased with this.
I know it gets said often, and often incorrectly, but listening to his interview on the radio I got the sense that he was genuinely pleased to be drafted by the AFC. He sounded very upbeat, not nervous at all, and just excited.

GREAT kid! :thumbsu: Great mark, quick, aggressive, just needs to work on the ball drop a bit but love this pick. :)

For some reason I think Talia would be a genuine winger as a first position more than a defender. I see him to be a running player who could null out a taller matchup only if neccessary.

PS is there any chance of the interview(s) being put up? (either here or on 5AA, unsure how their crap works)

Ratto - I'd expect the Talia interview will go up as a podcast, along with the rest of the draft stuff. Not sure though.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/87605/default.aspx

Crows go to school on Talia

Talia, a 194cm utility, had two interviews with Adelaide plus one less conventional meeting in a classroom at the famous football breeding ground, Assumption College at Kilmore in Victoria.

“Hamish [Adelaide recruiter Hamish Ogilvie] came down to my school and had a chat to my teachers. I guess the club was really doing its homework on me,” Talia said.

Western Australia 21.6 (132) d Vic Metro 10.9 (69) at Subiaco Oval
Daniel Talia – He was quite exceptional for the second week in a row. Daniel had 18 disposals, six tackles and five marks. He is one of the better key defenders in the championships so far and generates run from the backline – doesn't just stay at home
--------------------------------------
Vic Metro 8.7 (55) d Queensland 7.7 (49) at Casey Fields
Daniel Talia – Had 16 disposals, seven marks, five tackles and four inside 50s. He started really well at centre half-forward, having played at centre half-back for most of the championships. He presented and marked very well, is a really good competitor and has good speed for his size.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Australia 10.13 (73) d Vic Metro 9.7 (61) at Docklands
Daniel Talia
A versatile key position player who played predominantly at centre half-back throughout the championships. He went into the midfield in the last quarter on Wednesday and nearly turned the game Vic Metro’s way. A strong body, his clearance work was exceptional. He wins the contested ball well and has good speed and agility for his size. Had 24 disposals, five marks – two of which were contested – and four clearances
-------------------------------------------------
Vic Metro 24.16 (160) d New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory 8.1 (49) at Bruce Purser Oval, Rouse Hill (Western Sydney)

Daniel Talia – The centre half-back, showed courage and was really strong overhead. He was good in the contest and at ground level. He had 23 disposals (10 contested), six marks and two scoring assists. He really impressed me as an attacking defender

“Tonight I’ll go home and talk to the family about it. Obviously, I’ve got some goodbyes to say but Adelaide’s not that far. It’s only an hour flight from Melbourne, so it’s not that big a move.

That is the part that makes me happy. None of this home sick rubbish.

Looking at that footage again, Talia reminds me of a young James Hird.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back