Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

We have put a lot of time into Elton so I think the club values him and from what I saw in the nab games he looked good. How old is he now? Astbury given no injuries can be a great defender also as we have seen. Grimes is finally coming good also. Good competition for spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astbury and Chaplin are dinosaurs, Batchelor who is much shorter is one also.
Batchelor, Grimes Vlastuin , Chaplin provide stuff all run and carry. They have given very little in this area and Astbury wont help matters.
The only two players who have offered any sort of consistent run and rebound this yr have been Houli and Rance. It is for this reason they went and got Yarran.Lucky for us Houli improved significantly in this area in 2015 but Houli is not really a line breaker and when given a hard tag regularly struggles.

I still cant believe we would go into a season with Chaplin Astbury, Elton as the only back up to Rance.I cant believe we again do nothing to address this area.

We need if defenders to take on the gorillas of the game that's what Chappy is there for and Grimes has the ability to be a running type back. But wasn't our defence number one or two in the comp last year?

One of them will make it and be a very good back for us IMO.

Dave has the runs on the board but his body has let him down. I honestly believe 1st in best dressed and whoever gets that shot next season will take it. Whoever misses out will only miss out on another year of development.

My tip is Elton. Bigger, stronger, faster and a better mark. Elton will be our FB to start taking the new age PF. Your Pattons, Boyds, Danihers, Hogans etc.

One of them will make it and be a very good back for us IMO.

Dave has the runs on the board but his body has let him down. I honestly believe 1st in best dressed and whoever gets that shot next season will take it. Whoever misses out will only miss out on another year of development.

My tip is Elton. Bigger, stronger, faster and a better mark. Elton will be our FB to start taking the new age PF. Your Pattons, Boyds, Danihers, Hogans etc.

Elton has a touch of the Griffiths about him...doesn't realise how good he could be...needs to impose himself more
Griff finally began doing this and the results were great

Todd Elton is the next in line. The attempted trading of Astbury suggests to me that the club has given up on him because of the injuries to both knees. Elton is 197cm & 100kg that is a monster and after 4 years of development the time has come to give him more than just the 1 game every 3 years. The question is when does that happen. I doubt it will be at the start of the season as they'll stick with Chaplin but it has to happen some time next year.

Todd Elton is the next in line. The attempted trading of Astbury suggests to me that the club has given up on him because of the injuries to both knees. Elton is 197cm & 100kg that is a monster and after 4 years of development the time has come to give him more than just the 1 game every 3 years. The question is when does that happen. I doubt it will be at the start of the season as they'll stick with Chaplin but it has to happen some time next year.
Depending how his pre season goes you could argue 1 of Grimes and Batch are in trouble.

Rance Elton Chaplin could be a lock next season.
Then it would be up to Grimes or Batch to remove Chaplin.

Astbury had an outstanding year with the VFL. Was great down back and more than useful up forward. Elton has next to zero offensive side to his game but can hold his own one on one........usually. Astbury is ahead of Elton easily for me so far as he has proven he can play at senior level.

People who watched Elton throughout the year in the VFL didn't give glowing reviews though if I remember, and I don't think he was ever named as emergency this year was he? Although the backline had a fairly stable run this year so opportunities may have been limited. Where are the VFL watchers who can give a good view on where he's at?

edit....cheers STW

Depending how his pre season goes you could argue 1 of Grimes and Batch are in trouble.

It would be a huge improvement needed for Elton to be a lock next year

Based on Chaplins late season form he'd want to improve markedly. I agree with the other comment on here Chaplins best role is that floating third tall. Elton or Astbury could own that CHB role if they're hungry and aggressive enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For years I never rated Astbury. But the games he played just before his last injury I saw he can be a very effective player. Seens to lack athletic ability, but that may be because he is playing next to Rance. Never seem to see him taking marks. Might go and check his career stats now.

It would be a huge improvement needed for Elton to be a lock next year
Improvement or just needs a chance?
I think the improvement will come if he gets given the chance.
VFL can only take you so far. His body has fully developed and its time to give him some confidence play him round 1 and tell him the spots his to lose. Baring and absolute howler of games play him 4-6 rounds and re evaluate. If he stinks it up give Astbury a crack or go back to the same backline as last year.

if Grimes is in trouble then we're in trouble.Grimes is our second best tall behind Rance .He's safe as a church
Batch and Chaplin are the horror stories after the EF and are both slow with no rebound

Improvement or just needs a chance?
I think the improvement will come if he gets given the chance.
VFL can only take you so far. His body has fully developed and its time to give him some confidence play him round 1 and tell him the spots his to lose. Baring and absolute howler of games play him 4-6 rounds and re evaluate. If he stinks it up give Astbury a crack or go back to the same backline as last year.
Unfortunately for Elton he is a dumb footballer. If he can't be a gun defensively then he is in trouble. He doesn't have many strings to his bow if any atm so to play him in a crucial position at senior level could cost us on the day big time. It's not like if he is getting beaten defensively we can hang our hat on his offensive game because he has none. Needs more time I guess which it looks like we are doing.

Yeah imo I would like something like this assuming all available and fit.

Vlastuin Astbury Chaplin
Houli Rance Grimes Yarran( 7th defender)

Grimes takes over from Batchelor.

Hmm just looking at names like Rance Floss Yarran Houli there is plenty of run and class there but we do need one more apart from Rance, to shutdown the Hawkins types. Such a nice balance shaping in the team.

Unfortunately for Elton he is a dumb footballer. If he can't be a gun defensively then he is in trouble. He doesn't have many strings to his bow if any atm so to play him in a crucial position at senior level could cost us on the day big time. It's not like if he is getting beaten defensively we can hang our hat on his offensive game because he has none. Needs more time I guess which it looks like we are doing.
Club has faith hence the 2yr contract.The one thing that does worry me inparticular with the likes of Hogan,Daniher,Boyd and Patton coming through we don,t actually have someone to match it with them in size or strength.Elton is the perfect fit IMO.

We need if defenders to take on the gorillas of the game that's what Chappy is there for and Grimes has the ability to be a running type back. But wasn't our defence number one or two in the comp last year?

Imo the reason the defence conceded so few points was the simple fact the team did not allow a lot of f/50 entries. There was just half a dozen occasions where the ball came into our defensive fifty on more than 50 occasions.
This is an area where i think the mids have recieved little credit.

When we are not allowed to play to our game plan and we basically have to go 1v1 we are at our worst. This is something a lot of people everywhere media our own supporters opposition supporters have criticised us for, and done so for years. Everything is fine when we can play our way but when we have to become accountable there has been only one player who has CONSISTENTLY stood up and done his job and that is Rance.

Wouldn't be expecting any change to the back 6 outside Yarran slotting in before R1. Perhaps midway through the year Elton could come in if Chappy needs a break or Rance does something foolish like changeroom diving or moped riding in thongs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back