Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s been suggested that he isn’t a natural forward, whilst others have said that it’s his best game ever.

Personally, he is a lesson in hard work, perservence and courage.
I hope the other forwards expecially the smaller ones follow his lead...

To do what he did in playing so well as a pressure forward with his limitations is awesome. What he lacked today in pure skill and providence he made up for it in effort.

I would like to play him in this role again next week.

He did play really well in the role up forward today. Defended with great intent and used the ball well and there's no doubt that bit of play that lead to Tippa strolling into the forward 50 with ball in hand was a great bit of contested work.

That said - playing devil's advocate here we are still 3-6 and he is still 31 and at the tail end of his career. He is not a goal scoring threat himself, the main reason he even got 1 was a 50 metre penalty. At the moment with some injuries and plenty of kids in the team, he's done enough to keep his spot but I wouldn't exactly have him locked in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I called it weeks before it happened that he should be trialled as a defensive small forward.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Member since '73, we have had some absolute nutters play for us on my watch. Pound for pound Mark Baguley is the equal of any Essendon footballer I've watched in terms of toughness/bravery.
One of those real nutjobs who goes harder in scary situations and accelearates into them.

Everyone has take a short step at some point, I’m sure Bags is no different, but I can’t recall it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back