Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

He's had a rough couple of games, but has been victim of a couple of shocking matchups that we've protected some bigger names from.
Still shown enough to be considered the standout of our young brigade to date (Walsh not included as he's played more games than the other kids put together).

I'd be gutted if the rumours are true and he wants to leave. Hopefully the review brings some positive change into the group and convinces him and others to stay.

The fact that we put this inside mid who's played 10 or so games on possibly the best small forward in the league, really says something.

I feel like I'm watching SPS 2.0 - why would he want to play for us if he's wasted in a position which he doesn't play? We're killing him.

He looks lost playing in the backline, and why wouldnt he? It's not only a shitfight down there at present, but he's never played there in his life, and he's undersized for talls and not fast enough for blokes like Ryan (by a long way).

Its the Carlton way. Draft a mid; play them as defenders (Gibbs, SPS, Stocker and even Ed Curnow was down there last week) or a forward (Cripps, Fisher) or on the wing (Setters). Draft a defender and play them as a mid (Williams) or a Forward (Weitering, setting him back a year or two).

We had success turning Jones into a Defender, but the last one I can think of was Walker when we moved him off the wing and up forward.

And we wonder why our development of draft picks sucks.

And then you have the case of JSOS, who should be playing on the damn wing, but we persist with him up forward (where he is doing OK to be fair). He's a crafty bastard who can take a mark, and his disposal is good, and he's got reasonable height, and he's mobile. I cant understand why he hasnt been played there yet.

And then you have the case of JSOS, who should be playing on the damn wing, but we persist with him up forward (where he is doing OK to be fair). He's a crafty bastard who can take a mark, and his disposal is good, and he's got reasonable height, and he's mobile. I cant understand why he hasnt been played there yet.
I don't think he has the tank for it. In fact I think he might have gone backwards aerobically since the 2019 pre-season. If only our track-watchers could tell us how he goes on the 400s. It's why he misses routine shots on goal - jelly legs.

LOB does have the tank for it, just not the composure under pressure (yet). If only we could combine the two.

He's had a rough couple of games, but has been victim of a couple of shocking matchups that we've protected some bigger names from.
Still shown enough to be considered the standout of our young brigade to date (Walsh not included as he's played more games than the other kids put together).

I'd be gutted if the rumours are true and he wants to leave. Hopefully the review brings some positive change into the group and convinces him and others to stay.
Have I missed something, what rumour is going around about Stocker leaving?

Must admit when nobody really celebrated his first goal, though what is up with that.

Am I the only one who doesn't even look at Stockers defensive efforts? All I see is his dash through the centre and precise kicking. I don't even give his one on one defending a second thought because he's not a back pocket and Teague is just cooking him there for absolutely no reason. Stockers played great the last three weeks in my books.

Am I the only one who doesn't even look at Stockers defensive efforts? All I see is his dash through the centre and precise kicking. I don't even give his one on one defending a second thought because he's not a back pocket and Teague is just cooking him there for absolutely no reason. Stockers played great the last three weeks in my books.
particularly on Ryan, the matchup was just wrong. Ryan is faster, can jump higher and is very smart with positioning.

Liam just isn't a great match up on that, no shame in being beaten. The positive is he kept going despite being beaten badly.

As an opposition coach you would have been licking your lips having Heeney (at times) and Liam Ryan lining up on Stocker. I don't get it? You have to have respect for your opposition, Stocker did what he could, it was a case of exploiting our weaknesses and quelling our strengths which we have seen on a weekly basis

As an opposition coach you would have been licking your lips having Heeney (at times) and Liam Ryan lining up on Stocker. I don't get it? You have to have respect for your opposition, Stocker did what he could, it was a case of exploiting our weaknesses and quelling our strengths which we have seen on a weekly basis
This is the very reason why we need a new coach. Young players are clearly not happy. If we keep Teague we will lose 4 or 5 youngsters this year.

This is the very reason why we need a new coach. Young players are clearly not happy. If we keep Teague we will lose 4 or 5 youngsters this year.
For all we know, Barker was coming up with excuses as to why Stocker couldn't be used at stoppages. Let's give them 3 months and review.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you know this for fact, or just a gut feel? I would not be surprised, but unless your on the inside it's really hard to say what is going on, but something definitely stinks.

This trade is really bearing fruit now. So tough, a bit of mongrel and so much poise with the ball in hand. Love this guy.

I am a huge fan of Stocker for two reasons: his hardness and his foot skills.

We have watched him take on some huge challenges in the back line over the last 4 weeks, and even though he lowered his colours a couple of times it has seen his development progress at a rapid rate.
  • His ability to hit attacking targets when running out of the back line is a delight;
  • His hardness at the ball puts the opposition on the back foot;
  • His willingness to stand in the hole to cut off the oppositions forward thrusts is what we have needed for a long time;
  • His preparedness to 'make them earn it' is what sets him apart from every other player on our list;
  • His confidence in his abilities is a strength, not a weakness;
  • His composure has increased gradually since he has been playing 1's;
  • His team-mates are increasingly warming to him and his efforts, as blind Freddie can see the value he adds
Stocker is a huge asset to this team. I really like him in the back line for his ability to do all the above, but would still love to see him moved on ball in the latter half of this year to see what impact he can have in there.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of Stocker for two reasons: his hardness and his foot skills.

We have watched him take on some huge challenges in the back line over the last 4 weeks, and even though he lowered his colours a couple of times it has seen his development progress at a rapid rate.
  • His ability to hit attacking targets when running out of the back line is a delight;
  • His hardness at the ball puts the opposition on the back foot;
  • His willingness to stand in the hole to cut off the oppositions forward thrusts is what we have needed for a long time;
  • His preparedness to 'make them earn it' is what sets him apart from every other player on our list;
  • His confidence in his abilities is a strength, not a weakness;
  • His team-mates are increasingly warming to him and his efforts, as blind Freddie can see the value he adds
Stocker is a huge asset to this team. I really like him in the back line for his ability to do all the above, but would still love to see him moved on ball in the latter half of this year to see what impact he can have in there.
Well said. He has a hard edge that we otherwise lack. More please!

c7de0ecb-4b62-4827-acfb-7f6951fe9839-gif.728607

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back