Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Took 2 contested marks which was pleasing. Not much else to really say though.

Looks ok to me. Very likely type. Took a telling mark last night and put his body on the line.

Strange last quarter that felt like it went 15 minutes and only a few players where involved.
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if he's best 22 by this time next year. Very skilful and classy, just needs to add some endurance and strength to his frame.

Ashby had a game high 2 contested marks in the time he was on.
He's not really the sort I'd have pegged for one who comes on as a sub and makes impact, considering that IMO his biggest strength is his endurance.

Has played as the sub 3 times (?) this year and had double number possessions in two of those if my memory serves me correctly.

Last night was an aberration. Give him a whole game at VFL level to find touch again

Incorrect, only twice as sub. Ashby has played Rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. He started as Sub against St Kilda and Western Bulldogs only.

Against St Kilda he had 11 disposals in 32% of game time, however only 9 were effective, 3 contested and 2 clangers.
Against Dogs he had 2 disposals in 37% of game time, both were effective and both contested with 0 clangers.

Compare that to games he has started against Freo and Collingwood and it is pretty ugly reading.

I don't think Ashby is suited to the sub role at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incorrect, only twice as sub. Ashby has played Rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7. He started as Sub against St Kilda and Western Bulldogs only.

Against St Kilda he had 11 disposals in 32% of game time, however only 9 were effective, 3 contested and 2 clangers.
Against Dogs he had 2 disposals in 37% of game time, both were effective and both contested with 0 clangers.

Compare that to games he has started against Freo and Collingwood and it is pretty ugly reading.

I don't think Ashby is suited to the sub role at all.
Only 9 out of his 11 possessions were effective? Oh my, he definitely needs to improve on that.

Yet he did well as sub v St Kilda.

Yep. I was just making the observation that, in my personal opinion, some players are better suited towards the sub role than others. That isn't to say they can't play sub, but that perhaps it isn't their best role.

I tend to think that sub is better suited to either a pure impact player that can hit the game late and turn it.. or a swing man like a Hardingham that can cover a variety of positions.. to cover injury or match ups.

Yep. I was just making the observation that, in my personal opinion, some players are better suited towards the sub role than others. That isn't to say they can't play sub, but that perhaps it isn't their best role.

I tend to think that sub is better suited to either a pure impact player that can hit the game late and turn it.. or a swing man like a Hardingham that can cover a variety of positions.. to cover injury or match ups.

Have to agree. And this is why I hate it when guys like EKav, Zerret, Gleeson have been sub. They look more like death by 1000 cuts type player rather than a slice and dice player such as Colyer.

That's fantastic news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back