Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Smart footballer. Something we desperately need. Great skills both by hand and foot. Something we desperately need.

Has good endurance and pretty good pace. Something we desperately need.

Has the ability to be a very good AFL footballer, maybe not a star but a very solid 'role' player.. which you actually need (see Sydney/Hawks) if you want to win a flag.

And yes BTG, I would play him in front of Howlett.. not just because he is young, but because he has a higher ceiling and can do more individually. Howlett has had three years to put his stamp on a role.. and his tackling immense but doesn't do enough to keep justifying selection.

Well the one who is performing better.
Well Howlett has stunk for most of the year.. but you sounded like you would prefer him.. hence my confusion.

I was a big fan of Howlett for the last two years.. and that start last season.. wow! However he just seems to have stagnated.. very one-dimensional imho.

Doesn't impact the scoreboard enough, doesn't provide run and carry, hasn't got elite speed, hasn't got elite endurance. Disposal is average at best. Can't kick long. Has poor vision in traffic.

The only thing Howlett does well is tackle like a maniac. But if we are going to push for a flag.. we can't carry players with only one string to their bow.

Does that mean I am suggesting we gift Ashby games? No. Does it mean I support trading Howlett for a fourth rounder? No.

I just think that our team will be better once guys like Howlett aren't getting a game. A bit like how our team is better now because guys like Welsh and Dyson et al aren't getting games.. or Jetta even.

The next step for this team is top 4/prelim finals.. to do that we have to get ruthless about selection.

Well Howlett has stunk for most of the year.. but you sounded like you would prefer him.. hence my confusion.

No confusion, I do prefer him. He's a better performed player than Ashby, therefore he's ahead of him until such time as that changes.

No confusion, I do prefer him. He's a better performed player than Ashby, therefore he's ahead of him until such time as that changes.
Do you see Howlett in our best 22 if we are to push for a flag? If we agree, and most do, that we probably need to improve 5-10% if we are to be real threat.. then that improvement must comes from fitness, skills and probably upgrading 1-3 players in the line up.

Right now Howlett is firmly in our 'bottom 3' from a paper-side POV.

Not that I'm saying Ashby is the pick of the bunch.. but I do see a lot of upside with this young man.

Do you see Howlett in our best 22 if we are to push for a flag? If we agree, and most do, that we probably need to improve 5-10% if we are to be real threat.. then that improvement must comes from fitness, skills and probably upgrading 1-3 players in the line up.

Right now Howlett is firmly in our 'bottom 3' from a paper-side POV.

Not that I'm saying Ashby is the pick of the bunch.. but I do see a lot of upside with this young man.

That has nothing to do with the best 22 for round 1. Howlett is currently in our best 22 players, therefore he's in the 22 until someone forces him out. Simple.

Anyone who has Kavanagh or Ashby in their best 22 is an idiot.

BTG is reluctant to play young players, unless they quickly prove to be elite in their age range relative to other players - As we know these players are hard to find.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not a fan of gifting games to anyone regardless of age....

But I do have to say that if these more senior players should be contributing more. So if we are going to improve tough decisions need to be made... we will never improve if we keep holding on to players for too long. Some players time is up before other but thats the way things go.
Time for Stants to move on.... if these decisions can not be made then prepare for a life time of mediocrity....

That has nothing to do with the best 22 for round 1. Howlett is currently in our best 22 players, therefore he's in the 22 until someone forces him out. Simple.

Anyone who has Kavanagh or Ashby in their best 22 is an idiot.
It's probably a moot point, in that a succession of the younger guys will get tried out ahead of Howlett until one of them stands up and performs (assuming we have a full team available). Even this year Howlett wasn't selected in round one iirc? Hird will want to give the young guys opportunities and there is no getting away from Howlett being first on the chopping block. The only way Howlett will remain best 22 is if NONE of the the younger guys step up over the course of the pre-season. That aint going to happen. It's not only Howlett at threat also... Stanton and Hocking will come under scrutiny as being the next ones in line if we have several kids bashing down the door.

BTG is reluctant to play young players, unless they quickly prove to be elite in their age range relative to other players - As we know these players are hard to find.

I want to win every game we play, and I want to do that by picking the best available 22. The kids will get their chance, and if they're good enough, they'll keep their spot.

I want to win every game we play, and I want to do that by picking the best available 22. The kids will get their chance, and if they're good enough, they'll keep their spot.

And you have verified my last post - Just that sometimes you have to look at the long term concurrently with the short term.

And you have verified my last post - Just that sometimes you have to look at the long term concurrently with the short term.
And that happens via injuries. Players also shouldn't be gifted games hellllooooo Melksham. They need to earn them. What constitutes earning them can be varied, but if they are not contributing, how will it help their confidence.

Fine line in player development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back