Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

If he isn't getting paid out, then we have space on the cap.

If he is, then I reckon the AFL should allow the payment to be outside the cap because it's the AFL's policy which has forced his retirement.
He has retired. No payout required. If you pull up stumps that's it. You go on your merry way. His salary for next season will remain in the pot.

Situation no win!

Congratulations on the courage of your convictions Jonesy. If more individuals were willing to sacrifice so much on/for a principle this planet would be a better place. Those begrudging your decision, with a selfish outlook should think about the fact you have probably given up a million dollars and the chance of the ultimate reward for a footballer.

Like everyone else, I don’t know the full details of your stand and ultimate sacrifice so will not judge your decision. I simply respect and admire your courage to make an almost impossible choice.

I am sad you will not have the opportunity to meet and speak with your mates, your second family to discuss or explain your stance. I am certain your brothers in arms will respect your decision and miss you profoundly. I hope they gain some motivation from your example. It would have been a far easier decision to compromise your beliefs to appease the masses.

Thank you for the service Liam. Congratulations on the well documented high regard you are held in by your team mates. It is a testament to your character. The very best of wishes to you for your future and trust you will be warmly welcomed back in the inner sanctum of our club when circumstances allow.

I smell a law suit coming on!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m in mixed emotions here.

You were well and truely on tip heap and managed to turn it around to be one of our rocks down back, a top key defender in the comp, bringing courage, intensity and ferocity to the contest and hardly losing a 1-on-1 contest. I loved watching you play….maybe not the brain fades though. You played with a freedom and sense of purpose and from all reports was a top teammate, clubman and general good bloke. Will be a loss.

On the other hand, I cant rationalise the decision you’ve made. I respect your decision and respect that you held on to your truths in making such a decision and wish you all the best.

A strange and sad end to what was a pretty remarkable career. I've not seen many if any comparable career turnarounds to what we saw from Liam in his time at Carlton.

Gave his all for the club and for that I respect him and say thank you and congratulations on a good career.

I don't at all agree with his stance here but we live in a society where he's free to make this choice and live with the consequences. If he's cool with that, without knowing the full story who am I to criticize?

Good luck to him with whatever comes next.

Bitterly disappointing way for things to end.. Jonesy has played through the worst years at both Dogs and Blues, would've been great to see him with some success.

Going to be a huge loss both on and off the field. An outstanding clubman whose presence will no doubt be missed at the club. Helped Stocker gets through his sh** and no doubt helped others along the way.

I'm holding out hope that he somehow changes his mind and finds his way back to our club.

A strange and sad end to what was a pretty remarkable career. I've not seen many if any comparable career turnarounds to what we saw from Liam in his time at Carlton.

Gave his all for the club and for that I respect him and say thank you and congratulations on a good career.

I don't at all agree with his stance here but we live in a society where he's free to make this choice and live with the consequences. If he's cool with that, without knowing the full story who am I to criticize?

Good luck to him with whatever comes next.
One of the better posts on this topic. Thanks.

Didn't Liam's mother die this or last year and he took a few weeks leave from the club. It is probably a combination of a lot of things.

Please be kind to all and show respect for others even if you don't like their beliefs. If one day we find out the real reason so be it.

I am so going to miss him in the back line and his dashes down the centre.

Hiya Arrow hope you are going ok. I've been taking a break from my computer for the past month.

I recognise his right to make this decision.

I don't respect his decision - I respect the decision of every other player in the AFL to get vaccinated to protect themselves, the vulnerable around them, and the broader community.
Yeah, hard to respect a decision to stand by the courage of his convictions. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Liam's mother die this or last year and he took a few weeks leave from the club. It is probably a combination of a lot of things.

Please be kind to all and show respect for others even if you don't like their beliefs. If one day we find out the real reason so be it.

I am so going to miss him in the back line and his dashes down the centre.

Hiya Arrow hope you are going ok. I've been taking a break from my computer for the past month.

Good to see you JR

Seriously Carlton is cursed. 18 clubs this could happen to but yes it happens to Carlton.

45 players on the list and the player is in the best 22, probably in our best 10 players in a position we have the least depth.

Jones last 100 one on one contest he was only out marked once. Will be harder to replace than most think.

When news broke of Jones not getting the jab, I said to my brother whether it had anything to do with maybe his mum and her passing.
too level headed and lacking in hysteria, awg.......

The club will miss him and I’ll miss him
When ever ide look at the team sheet and see his name I would be confident he would dominate or at least break even
His intercept marking was great but his timing and hang time with spoiling was next level
Rarely got into silly niggles just focused on playing the game hard and fearlessly
What’s done is done so I wish him every success in the future

Situation no win!

Congratulations on the courage of your convictions Jonesy. If more individuals were willing to sacrifice so much on/for a principle this planet would be a better place. Those begrudging your decision, with a selfish outlook should think about the fact you have probably given up a million dollars and the chance of the ultimate reward for a footballer.

Like everyone else, I don’t know the full details of your stand and ultimate sacrifice so will not judge your decision. I simply respect and admire your courage to make an almost impossible choice.

I am sad you will not have the opportunity to meet and speak with your mates, your second family to discuss or explain your stance. I am certain your brothers in arms will respect your decision and miss you profoundly. I hope they gain some motivation from your example. It would have been a far easier decision to compromise your beliefs to appease the masses.

Thank you for the service Liam. Congratulations on the well documented high regard you are held in by your team mates. It is a testament to your character. The very best of wishes to you for your future and trust you will be warmly welcomed back in the inner sanctum of our club when circumstances allow.
I just hope that whoever it was at Carlton that told Sam McClure about Jones not wanting to get the jab does not tell him about the reasons behind it, as that headline chasing little prick will put it out there and bring more pressure to bare on Jones decision. A real "true blue" mercenary is little Sam!!!:devil:

I just hope that whoever it was at Carlton that told Sam McClure about Jones not wanting to get the jab does not tell him about the reasons behind it, as that headline chasing little prick will put it out there and bring more pressure to bare on Jones decision. A real "true blue" mercenary is little Sam!!!:devil:
It’s like being mad at a janitor for mopping floors, or a bus driver for driving a bus… he did his job as an AFL reporter, and reported the news he had. Such a strange thing to get mad about.

It’s like being mad at a janitor for mopping floors, or a bus driver for driving a bus… he did his job as an AFL reporter, and reported the news he had. Such a strange thing to get mad about.
just think it`s a cheap shot, and considering the club were trying to keep it in house he did not have to blab it for a headline. There were others that knew it was Jones but they kept quiet out of respect for the club and Jones wishes, as he and the club had been discussing things for a while according to what Lloyd came out with today. McClure said it was in the publics interest to know.....was it really, as Jones must have thought otherwise.....mopping floors and driving buses don`t cross the line on someone wanting their privacy by the way.

Last edited:
Very disappointing, I am guessing this was a big motivator in getting Young. Good thing for us is that it's happened before the draft so we can find another Key defender. Waste of the final years of his career but we will move on and hope that the young fella we have recruited can play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back