Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

No. You get very little for walking away. It’s gonna cost him a bomb.
I thought if a player retired while under contract, it was up to the club and player to agree on a payout? The reasons for the retirement would obviously usually be a factor (injury, etc).
It is then up to the AFL if/how much of that is counted against the cap.

I thought if a player retired while under contract, it was up to the club and player to agree on a payout? The reasons for the retirement would obviously usually be a factor (injury, etc).
It is then up to the AFL if/how much of that is counted against the cap.

There is a provision in place for this situation which has already been negotiated by the afl and the aflpa. I read that the player would receive a base payment of 23,000 and a portion of the current year's contract. The calculations I saw had it at 40.000 to 60,000 in total. That would be it.

I'm no doctor but if Crippsvoss' info is true then it sounds like a genuine case for medical exrmption.... the AFL has gone mad if they don't provide for one player with a medical exrmption... and that's coming from someone who has been very risk averse

Ding ding ding...

Yep, if he had a legitimate medical exemptions he'd be wearing a mask at all times (or a hazmat suit), staying home as much as possible and not following anti-vax pages on facebook and instagram.

All the karens and antivax warriors out there saying they have 'medical exemption' would not be carrying on like they have been if it were true.

I just don't buy that story, it is his choice, he's retired, he's let people down. He isn't a hero.
This is one of the more insane things I've ever read

Without commenting on Jones specifically, fear is a massive driver of the anti-vaccine movement and anti vaxxers are often more scared than committed. Scared by the unknown, scared by a loss of control. I don’t really see that giving in to fear is particularly courageous either.
The antivax rhetoric as spread alarmingly in the remote ingenious community’s
I say alarmingly because they are in one of highest risk categories

What a bummer :(
Pretty much this. Oh well. The world keeps revolving and everyone gets replaced in the end.

Courageous being thrown around too much here. The word everyone is looking for is steadfast and it’s very appropriate in a situation where someone is sticking to their ideas and beliefs and following through with an action.

Also, LOL to the “beliefs are the most important thing a person can have”. Nah. Knowledge, wisdom and actions. People’s beliefs usually fold bloody quickly when the time comes for them to put beliefs ahead of personal impact. At least Jones was steadfast in his and followed through with action.

Another is respect people’s decisions which seems to be used to stop people questioning people’s reasoning behind that decision. You can question, disagree, be of the opinion it’s a poor choice. Don’t demand people respect something. Just ask them to acknowledge it and if they don’t like it tell them to move on. They are likely
never going to, and shouldn’t have to, respect it anyway.

Hope he is financially set up and this decision works out for him. Based on what is known it’s a poor choice in my opinion but acknowledge it’s his choice and he is steadfast enough of that belief to follow through

Next Blues champion might just find his spot in the our next premiership backline out of this.

Go Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the vax rates in indigenous communities are lagging well behind the national averages, this is an even more horrendous decision from Jones. If there’s some medical or ultra religious reason behind his decision, he would have made a statement by now. I’m calling BS on the “complex” nature of this.

NSW: indigenous population is 3% of total population. 22% of positive cases in NSW are indigenous people….

Thank you LJ for your service and well done on turning your career around. Big decision you've made and I'm sure you have considered all the ramifications. Onwards and upwards for the team. We can't afford to think any other way. Opportunity knocks for a number of guys and I guess we'll address the loss of a best 22 KP defender before we start next season. We need to find a mature age guy from the stage leagues or the country who is desperate for a chance. Hopefully Young, McDonald and McGovern step up. I think we'll be ok.

I love how the AFL and the government are all about diversity and celebrating differences of opinion only on matters that suit them…Covid vaccination is not one.
Diversity and differences of opinion are vastly different issues to public health.

I was blown away with (probably everyone else) at Jones moving from forward to backline. I’d be shocked if anyone didn’t think he’d become a sensational intercept mark and spoiler. His kicking was hit and miss. I’m disappointed he’s left us early. But he’s been a sensational blue. I disagree with his reasons as a health care worker but wish him all the best. Goodluck to Liam.

The antivax rhetoric as spread alarmingly in the remote ingenious community’s
I say alarmingly because they are in one of highest risk categories

Yep, it’s bad. Apparently partly being driven by weirdo evangelical churches, at least in western NSW.

Although in fairness to indigenous communities, a distrust in government structures or intervention would be rather understandable.

Young just became an extremely handy acquisition didn’t he! Still think Marchy can be a bloody good third tall as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Certainly did. He has looked really good in a few games I have seen. Just needs a consistent run at it I a defensive roll not being thrown around and used as a ruck. This opportunity now affords him that.

Well that retirement just about sums up Liams career. Never knew what was coming next!!

Wish him well in retirement.

Surely Carlton strongly approaches the AFL for some form of compensation. Not sure what we ask for but it sounds like he has retired for an ethical/cultural reason based on a new AFL rule (mandatory vaccination).

We must go hard as these are unprecedented times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back